Breaking in the new setup! - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Jersey
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Jersey Regional discussion, news and reports for striped bass fishing in New Jersey

Old 05-19-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Breaking in the new setup!

Well, I started the evening buying a new setup for plugging the surf. I've been researching for a while, and ultimately decided that I didn't want to drop a ton of cash on my first real surf outfit, so I selected a Tsunami 9' 2 piece medium/heavy 1-4oz rated spinning rod matched with a Daiwa SS2600 and 8#/30# Powerpro. (Sorry Sudsy, I know ya hate the PP)

Definitely a nice little rod, really cut down the casting effort especially for lures in the 1oz range (Bombers, Mag Darters, etc) compared to my 7' Penn Slammer (wayyyyyyyy too short for the surf). I casted a few 2oz Atoms and Gibbs poppers and the rod handled them well, but I question the 4 oz max range as there was considerable flex in the rod at 2oz, but eventually I'll throw something bigger in the 3oz range and see how it handles. The SS2600 is just as sweet as the SS700 I've owned for years. Uber awesome drag, still one of the best on the market, and the reel handles very nicely overall and balances well with the rod (maybe a little tip heavy, but overall not too shabby).

And of course, I had to break her in by heading to the surf that evening! My buddy and I had plans to meet up, but he was running a little late so I hit the surf for a couple hours before he got there. I managed to land this little guy on the new setup, nice little fight, you can feel everything through that braided line (no stretch, super sensitive). Obviously my first time actually fishing with braid...it's pretty nice.

Then my buddy arrived, we grabbed a bite to eat, and went and fished some of his spots. Not a hit, that's 0-2 with him...and I don't think I've ever seen him go 2 days without a fish! I know he'll get us on them eventually, he's itching to go North, which is a longer drive for me (already driving an hour) but "that's where the fish are". Plus he's caved into plugging and jigging with me, he much prefers bait. Maybe Sunday we'll head up there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement