So whats the relationship........... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:16 PM

Default So whats the relationship...........

between Duck hunters, herring runs,and Stripers?

Back in the early 30's a group of Duck Hunting SPORTSMEN, remember that term it comes into play soon, started to notice an alarming decline in the waterfowl populations in North America.
Industrialization of the Mississippi and Chesapeak Bay areas was in full swing, but that was not the only cause. Cultivation of the northern Canada prairies was in full swing, but that was not the only cause. There were no seasons or bag limits in place on migratory bird species, but that was not the only cause. Waterfowl were being persued from the nest, eggs were gathered for sale in the larger American markets for wealthy consumers omlets. Large rafts of waterfowl, most prized were the Canvasbacks, due to the total vegitarian diet the best best table duck of all. A single Can would fetch $5.00 at the market. Remeber now this is the 30's. The market GUNNERS would load 8 gauge punt guns with screws nails and scap metal, row out into the shallow waters, and with one pull of a lanyard unload 3 barrels at once into a flock of thousands of birds.
Hundreds at a time were marketed. Tales of punt boats sinking in the bay under the heavyloads were common place. But that was not the only cause.
The sum of all these things caused the crash of waterfowl populations.
So the sportsmen paid for the studies, petitioned the federal government and "SURPRISE", regulations were passed setting seasons, and bag limits.
The Gunners (commercial duck hunters) fought the SPORTSMEN every inch of the way. Can't buy wild ducks no more!
The other issues involved breeding areas, the Canadian Prairy pot holes, and small rivers and estuaries throughout northern North America.
This group of sportsmen named themselves and chartered a non-profit organization, Ducks Unlimited" Not for unlimited bags, but for unlimited opportunities for ducks to migrate and breed. They kept at the feds and got the Migratorie bird treaty passed. this forced Canada and mexico to establish seasons and bags as well.
KEEP READING I'M GETTING TO MY POINT!
Next came the Migratorie Bird Stamp. The monies are protected by federal law and can only be used for ONE purpose, Waterfowl habitat.
Ducks Unlimited raises money to purchase lands in conjuntion with the stamp monies to REHABILITATE wetlands, for nesting, roosting, and feeding areas all along the migration corridors.
The Chesapeake Bay area has recieved a great deal of atention from these monies. Cape Cod as well. The American system of "Refuges" is a direct result of all these issues. Imagine Hunters contributing to land purchases where they can't hunt!
How does all this affect Stripers you ask!
Each state gets a piece of the pie according to the numbers of stamps, both state and federal, they sell. $1.00 spent on licenses and stamps gets 3 back through the Wallop-Breaux act.
Want fish ladders, buy a fresh water license, Federal duck stamp, state duck stamp, and watch even more money come into your state.
The license pays for the ladders, the stamps rehab the eco sysytem of the rivers/streams the herring need to spawn. In turn more Bass visit the food source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2005, 11:54 PM

Very interesting and informative Gunny.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:00 AM

We owe a great deal to that small group of guy's that stood up for what they knew was right back then. Many programs were born from their ideals.
I left out a lot of information in order to keep the post readable for the average computer SPORTSMAN.
So who else understands "Wallop-Breaux"?
If you buy tackle, boats, line, Shotgunshells, guns, Etc., Etc., it affects you and everyone else that endevours to pursue fish/game.
Go ahead, I know you want to ask!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2005, 03:42 PM

Wow Gunny. I've always been very cynical about government bueracracies especially when it comes to licencing funding and other such appropriations. (I grew up in NYC)
Im glad to see this one as solid. I did a google on Wallop- Breax and checked the slide presentation. Wallop Breax.org.
13 cents per gallon of boating fuel taxes go to it and so does a share of fishing equipment taxes. Sports fish restoration gets the bulk of the account. Like 322 million. Then Boating safety and The Coast guard can requisition funds from them as well. Very cool. Learn something new every day.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:36 PM

Jim, I knew you'd somehow be the one to get my fingers going again!
The W-B funding is assesed at the manufacturers level for the majority of it's funding, buy a hook and you have contributed. It's the manner at which it is dispersed that the important considerations come into play.
when John Smith goes to the Bait/tackle shop and buys his license, for conversation sake it cost's him $10.00. Every dollar he plunks down, the state recieves $3.00. So in effect that license is worth $40.00. Now comes the really great part of the whole deal, The money is "restricted reciept accountable" by federal law. The state can ONLY spend that money gained on fishing related expenses, not on law enforcement, welfare programs, retirement accounts, no no no, only on related licensing revenues, hunting license, duck stamps all get restricted reciept monies.
If a state violates the terms of the funding, they must pay back ALL funding recieved PLUS outrageouse interest!
Here in little Rhodie a state rep tried to divert restricted reciepts and almost cost the state 3 billion yup BILLION dollars.
Many areas of the state provide hunting lands through the purchase of these managment areas with W/B cash. Without these areas most hunters here would have no where to go. These lands also hold river/stream and lakes for fishing,and camping as well.
Now back to the starting question, If you buy a federal duck stamp for $15.00, a state duck stamp for $5.00, and a fresh water fishing license for $15.00 how much is that worth to a striper fisherman that would like to see more herring? answer $140.00 Times that by the number of Stripers only fishermen in your state. For Rhodie the estimate I heard from a top source is 1.7 million per year! Do you know how many fish ladders this person could put in with half that money? This estimate is based on the number of guy's/Gals that do NOT buy fishing licenses because they don't know what it is worth, and do not fish fresh water so they don't NEED to purchase them.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:31 AM

Let's take a look at the situation in Florida and how they fought through all the political battles to get their Salt water programs to the current levels.
The state of New York loves the Florida Salt water license program! Why?
Florida uses license money Quadrupled by W/B funds to buy old subway cars. They then clean these relics and sink them in the ocean and gulf to form artificial reefs. Nature then takes over very quickly. Corral begins to reclaim, bait fish take refuge, game fish start to lurk and hunt in areas that became desolite. More people now fish Florida waters than ever before , because they know they will be successful. Some of the most outspoken opponites of the License issue now admit, it is a success, and because the monies are tracked and accounted, not a waste.
I've seen pictures and video of gang tagged cars sunken into the bays, and then one year later, virtually unrecognizable.
Rhode Island is in the process of tearing down the old Jamestown Bridge.
Many of us here in the state wanted to see the bridge made into a reef just outside the bay. The state is using money gained by selling the bridge to FLORIDA to offset the demo! One state gains while we lose a great opportunity.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:21 PM
First Mate

Hey GunnySniper.
You know who White Feather is, Carlos Hathcock.
*For the rest of you guys, read "One Shot, One Kill" He is the most famed Marine Sniper in the Corp. While he has been gone for a couple years now, I bass fish with his son Carlos here in VA. He just retired as a Gunny here on Quantico.

Gave up the duck hunting in SC when they switched over to steel shot and it was costing more to go than it was fun. Dogs gone. Decoys are gone. Still have the calls, don't know why?

As far as the W-B tax goes, you have to really look at how the funds are managed by your state. Shouldn't be, but each place is diff on how they distribute the monies. Ran into this in Colorado. Some of the funds were being used for asphalt bike paths! That's right, the bunny loving tree hugging left wing liberal Bolder, CO yuppies figured out how to swing the deals and they were pulling our hunting/fishing tax money.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:05 PM

Carlos was my chief instructor when I went through the course. I was at the funeral in blues and medals..
state has no control on W/B, some changes have been made in expenditure policies since they started adding other outdoor sports equipment taxes into the mix. 90% of the funding is supplied and spent on the blood sports. I find it hard to believe that a bike path somehow qualified, are you sure W/B funds were used? We have many knew bike paths here in Rhodie but not a single dime of W/B funds spent on them.
Some of the paths cross properties purchased with these funds however fishermans access was also added on the river.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:37 AM
First Mate

Do you know Carlos Hathcock Jr.?

The yuppies managed to loop hole the bike paths into the stream access near Bolder, CO. While the stream itself is 4.5 miles from the nearest parking area, the asphalt path still does go to the stream.

Couple notes here:
A fly fisherman carrying all his gear is not cycling or walking 4.5 miles to the water.
The mountain lions along this new path have shown a marked preferance for mountain biking yuppies in purple Spandex. They yank them off the bikes in the spring and eat about half of them before moving on. The local Onion Newspaper keeps a head count and color combination for lion eaten yuppies.

They also have a hiking pass that costs $5.00. This gets thrown into the same pot!
Old 01-03-2006, 02:32 PM

bumped for further info for post on licenses