Savannah River Stripers - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Georgia Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 12-26-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Savannah River Stripers

I am new to this site. I have already found some very helpful things. I live in Augusta Georgia and i fish the Savannah river and Clarks hill lake alot. The striper fishing in the River is great. I usually don't fish a lot in the winter. But i read in a report that a guy caught 4 stripers off the dam. It said he was using pencil poppers. i was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to catch them off the dam this time of year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2005, 07:41 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

bigsam, Nice to have another member from down your way

I fish upriver at dams big time in the Spring, but up here the dams are probably not quite the same as the ones your used to lol. Ours arent the big giant concrete ones. We have like, little dams lol. Anyways, fishing them could be similar. Topwater stuff like pencil poppers are great. I'd say almost 85% of my lures used at dams are topwater poppers etc. Depending on the depth, jigs can also be deadly at dams. Because of the shallowness and structure where I fish upriver most of the time, jigs are not an option, but I have fished dams before where the depth called for it. A jig with a pork-trailer is killer, and the fish will go cuckoo over it on the down-fall.

One of my new favorites from last Spring is a nice fat N plump Tsunami TS Popper, black over silver holographic, and slathered with herring scented Smelly Jelly. Tha Stripered Bassy's just absolutely smash the thing. Sometimes its a pain when they hit it so hard though, cuz the hooks go up and around and get embedded so deep, like on their noses and stuff LOL.

Fun though! Good luck

Old 12-26-2005, 10:32 PM

here is a picture of the dam. thanks for the advice. i usually dont use artifical for stripers. i need advice on the lures to throw this time of year. when the shad in april i occasionally throw a buck tail. but i usually stick with live bait then. all u need in april is a sabiki rig and some big lead. u can catch all the bait u want. you have your choice between threadfin and american shad. sometimes i forget about tryin to catch the cats and stripers and just fish for those big shad on light tackle. its great fun.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:26 AM

Yesah, that be one'ah them big dams lol. I've fished kind like that before, but in Maine. In coastal NH, our dams at the head of tide are much smaller than that. Much, much smaller lol.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:36 AM

I'm a firm believer in and use most often Big (71/2 and 9") sluggos and fin s fish, twitch a lot, retrieve a little... You can also use the nail weights to get them down deeper but don't over do it. Rig them with a stinger treble like on the sluggo web site. I'll also be trying smelly jelly on them this spring...
Old 12-27-2005, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersdad
I'm a firm believer in and use most often Big (71/2 and 9") sluggos and fin s fish, twitch a lot, retrieve a little... You can also use the nail weights to get them down deeper but don't over do it. Rig them with a stinger treble like on the sluggo web site. I'll also be trying smelly jelly on them this spring...
Great post! When I'm not using topwater stuff, big Fin-S fish (alewive pattern) covered in tha herring smelly jelly is one of my absolute faves. I throw it up into the suds in front of the rocks, and just dead drift it. I add "tha twitch" if'n they wont slap it, but I mainly play dead

Old 12-28-2005, 01:25 AM

im ready to head out tomorrow. i didnt get to go today. im goin to check the weather tonight. im goin to try to find some 9 " sluggos. i'm goin to try to catch some perch and crappie also. i will post my catch here
tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:27 AM

Have fun N good luck

Old 12-28-2005, 02:21 PM

bigsam, i fish the tailraces in North Alabama(tennessee river system) quite a bit...this time of year can be tough (when the water temp. drops below 50).
match the hatch if you can...in the winter, it seems bigger is better.
i'd try 5 or 6 inch pearl sassy shad bodies(i dye the tail chart.) with a 1 to 1 1/2 oz. leadhead.
if the bait is smaller i like the yum samurai shad with 3/4 to 1 oz.
http://www.lurenet.com/search.aspx?f...SAMURAi%20SHAD

just cast and swim it back.

if they're hitting top, a pradco jumping minnow or a smithwick suspending rouge works pretty o.k.

— Jed Clampett
Old 12-29-2005, 06:28 AM
First Mate

I'm from SC (now in VA) and fished that river and Clarks Hill quite a bit.
Winter time dam fishing down there will require some 6" shad bodies on 1/2oz heads to get down into the reverse current below that particular dam. If your in the lake, you also have some major hybrid opportunities there.
Your in a great spot!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 03:04 PM

Thunderstorms didnt allow me to fish yesterday. Im going to try those 6inch shad bodies this weekend. Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Savannah River Stripers

I fish Clark Hill every day. They are talking about throwing pencil poppers behind russel dam in Clark hill when they are generating. The water temperture drops and causes a feeding frenzy on top water. Most fish are 5-10lb range. If you have questions about clark hill feel free to email me [email protected]
Old 03-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Savannah River Stripers

Moved back to Savannah and want to do some striper fishing on the Savannah river. I understand that mullet is good live bait. I was told to go the the flood gates and the houlahan bridge area. Its good this time of year. Any help with this area would be great.

Thanks Chip