Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Report Thread for the Jersey Shore, 2010

27K views 96 replies 33 participants last post by  Ed White 
#1 ·
While the season is open for Bass here in Joisey, and I technically do have a fishing rod on the truck, I'm not really ready to start fishing yet, but it will be soon....A couple of weeks, after the Asbury and Berkeley shows. Reports of keepers from down south, and a bad case of cabin-itis have me itching to go wet a line, even if it means standing in cold water and throwing clams.
Has anyone started yet?

#59 ·
This is nuts, the last three times I've been out back chucking bait the pickups have been so gentle you can barely feel them. If the bass feels the tiniest bit of weight he drops it.

All kinds of pickups last night, lot of really hard to explain weird pickups too. Only managed to hook and then land one fish, a super skinny fish just over 15#s, all head with an empty flabby belly.
Scooby doodoo and I were debating, male or spawned out female ?? I'm leaning towards female. Seems a tiny bit early for them to be spawned out though.

No blues for a change, which was nice.

#60 ·
Might have to break out the meat sticks again, not one bass on anything artifical yet, with the exception of one small bass that hit a test plug and got away clean.
5 hours yesterday out front and in the back, only thing I got was a sore shoulder.

#61 ·
i was out the other night and was a slow pick of keeper bass but yea, some hits like that but i let it ride for a better hit. a dozen taps i could care less about but if one remotely moved my line in my fingers she was mine... 33" and 27" but hefty fish. no bunker to speak of and fished a clam bed with heads. the smaller fish were tapping the rod with the chunk. the weather pattern is horrible.

#62 ·
About 2 weeks ago I got 1 short and dropped 2 others off the beach at sandy hook. Was a really healthy short tho,took a clam.

As for all the blue fish i havent run into any, and honestly wouldnt mind the action, whats the average size now 5-7 pounds or big guys?

Has any one fishing raritan bay, sandy hook or manasquan inlet lately?

#63 ·
The fish are there, all three spots, especially the effin bluefish.
Plugs and chunks have scored nothing but blues for me.
Better sized bass have been on heads.

#64 ·
heads? now zim? oh wait? zims got pics of that night>>>>
sloooooowly i turn.. step by step i crept up on em>>>>
nahh.... i ran that one into the ground already. may get better weather pattern for the rest of the week but sunday is the first day "or best" day of fishing in a long while.... just so's ya's know that.... sunday......

#66 ·
Its a night bite on the other side. 110
- across from the hook - NY
At least from the shore anyway. Bunker are around and scattered. Only other bait I saw was shrimp, no herring or spearing.

I had some fun messing with the boats trying to corral the bunker. I kept tosing out a popper and watching them chase after it and then cursing at it. Small fun with no fish only bunker snagging. Too exhasting for me to bother. I only end up giving them away anyway.
Saw one keeper bass on chunks. Water stained and weedy in the back. Too tired to stay with bunker at night.

the weather pattern is horrible.
sunday is the first day "or best" day of fishing in a long while.... just so's ya's know that.... sunday......
Paulie is our prognosticator - heed what he's saying.
Although me thinks the weather pattern is still horrible.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin...?query=07724&hourly=1&yday=128&weekday=Sunday
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin...?query=10301&hourly=1&yday=128&weekday=Sunday

#68 ·
Last night.
Braved the surging waters of the rivers in a small boat captained by a good friend.
It was an adventure, that nearly became a fight for survival.
We survived.
Bunker were many.
Some fish were caught.
Moby Bass was not to be found. Only his teen sized cousins.

Argh

#69 ·
Was out last week (Friday) out of AH. Fish and bait were out in full force and when one pod was lost another was easily found with a set of very good binos. Ended up only spending a little over 1/2 day(about 5 hours fishing) out due to charging issues with boat but between the 2 of us we easily had over 40 stripes with largest maxing out #30 Boga. The blues were not as bad as I thought they would be either as we only ran into a few, when one was caught we would just move as birds were blasting the surface all over the place. Majority of fish were schoolies but still a major blast and one of my days in years. Most were caught on pencils/stick baits

Hope to get out on Moms day(Sun) if I can swing not going to party without getting beat to badly

#71 ·
screw sunday..... the forecast changed.....
this weeks "zim forecast" for best days/nites are as follows....
monday is good to excellent as the day wears on.
tuesday? fuhghetaboudit.....
wednesday is good to excellent as day wears on and better at night. thursday? fuhghetaboudit......
friday is good to excellent and like awesome at night and the same goes for saturday as the nite bite will be arm bustin...
this is the forecast for the coming week and mothers day has become a bust so stay married and let the googins fish it to see what has or has not happened. anyone wanna come and fish this awesome weekend bite with me let me know. thursday i will have it mapped out for the wind location..... :icon_cool2: oh... sat nite is the 2nd annual zim gathering btw.. someone please inform blasko that he is not allowed to laugh this time?

#74 ·
Betty and Nicks are reporting that the run is here, big time, and anglers are nailing big bass like never before. Phil Lagrossa nailed a 57-pound striper yesterday while fishing from a boat in Central Jersey. He and fishing mate Tom Brower, who nailed stripers as large as 39-pounds while fishing off the Seaside Beaches, landed these large linesiders while fishing the bunker schools.

Attachments

#75 ·
Nailed a few fish a little south of my usual spring haunts.
Biggest went 38# and a little more.
Few in the 25# range

Arm is sore this morning.

#78 ·
Well I just got back from my vacation to LBI ,19th-25th. I managed to put myself ahead of the curve I think by reading all I could on here. My first day out ever in the surf I hit my first ever striper, a decent 36"er. On the 20th I got another one about 34". Since it was a family vacation I was doing that the next few days and on the 23rd I landed another 36" bass. All in all not a bad week of fishing, atleast not for a first timer. Total fish for the week were; 3 stripers, 4 blues, 4 sand sharks, 2 crabs, and i couldn't tell you how many skates. Once again thanks guys for making this report possible.:adore:

#79 ·
Well, since I don't get on the computer as much as I used to, here's my last month report.

Lots of action, they are really heating up right now. Biggest night was 3rd week of may. Got a 48 and a 49#er in the same night. Weights were legit off a truck scale on the beach. Both were revived and released immediately. Other countless big 'uns that night, lost track as the darkness took over.

Been killing them on danny's and bucktails. I want to get back to the roots, and get back in touch with bucktailing. It's such an effective technique that I just never used enough. Might be time to break out the flyrod too... so many options.

#81 ·
Raritan Bay last night. Top incoming tide, S wind, glassy calm water - looked like a lousy time to fish. Figured what the hell, I went through all that work to find and snag bunker, I might as well soak a bait while I wait for the tide to be right for one of my river spots.
Turned out to be one of those "Well I'll be dipped in #### !" kinda nights

Two rods, one spiked with a chunk, one held, egg sinker with a head.
Not a single sniff on a chunk the whole time, every head caught a teener sized bass (one head caught two) all within about two hours. All the fish cookie cutter from 12 to 14 lb.

Ran out of heads, threw plugs for a while - nada

Kept refreshing the chunk on the spiked rod, never got touched.

Best part of the night, no effin bluefish, skates, doggies, crabs ........ just bass.

#83 ·
Finally put together the right place/right time thing this morning, after 3 previous mornings of chasing the bunker for either nothing, or small blues, I found one of the fish I'm looking for......took the fish 3 tries, but it finally inhaled a pencil and went for a little swim.
36 lbs 10 oz on my digital, new PB.
Now, I hope these fish stick around for a while.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate

A Happy Angler

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Smile

#90 ·
Finally put together the right place/right time thing this morning, after 3 previous mornings of chasing the bunker for either nothing, or small blues, I found one of the fish I'm looking for......took the fish 3 tries, but it finally inhaled a pencil and went for a little swim.
36 lbs 10 oz on my digital, new PB.
Now, I hope these fish stick around for a while.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate
fantastic fish, and a great front cooler/rack. is that custom? hitch or bumper mounted?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.