Fish Finder ? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Fish Finder ?

Looking at the bottom structure from the fish finder where is the picture in relation to the bottom of my boat ? The screen scrolls left to right is that front to rear of boat ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2005, 05:40 PM

As it scrolls...it shows front to back...

The trasnducer is most likely in the back...if so (depending on the deepness of the water) what you are seeing is under your transom...

In shallow water, the frequency is narrower, so it is more-or-less under your transom...In deep water the frequency is wider so it encompases more bottom, so what you see may be whats under your whole boat...
Old 04-13-2005, 11:05 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

On my Lowrance X-88 and LCX-18 they both scroll from right to left,the transducer is mounted on the transom,objects appearing on the right hand side of the screen have been passed by the boat in accordance to the way it is drifting or being driven,in other words if a boat is being driven on an easterly troll,objects appearing on the right hand side of my screen have been passed by the bow of the boat and are now astern to my west,,I expect a bent rod any second,if I am drifting,stern too,what shows on the righthand side of the screen is just coming into range,the guy in the bow better get jigging!!!!!

As far as transducers go, most common for water under 200' are 200KHZ,wide beam(often 20-30 degree), to give the best possible resolution(the cone degree may vary slightly with manufacturer), most tranducers for deep water (over 300') are 50KHZ(9-12 degree being most common),Because I often fish deep water for cod and haddock,and shallow water (under 5')for stripers I use duel frequency transducers, but factors vary from each manufacturer and the wattage of the machine, check your users manual for their specifications and recomendations,most electronics manufactures have help hot lines and web sights and are more than happy to assist you.

Arent modern electronics fun...I remember fishing with an oar for a sounder and a hand held compass....And i'm sure I'm not alone....and i caught fish then too.....go figure!

Rock
Old 04-14-2005, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus
200KHZ,wide beam(often 20-30 degree), to give the best possible resolution(the cone degree may vary slightly with manufacturer), most tranducers for deep water (over 300') are 50KHZ(9-12 degree being most common),
Rock
The specs are the other way around. In a dual frequency transducer, the higher frequency has the narrower beam. It seems counter intuitive, but that's from the airmar site (they make most of the transducers for the industry).
Old 04-14-2005, 11:53 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Rogerstg is correct,I proofread it twice and still didnt catch it untill he pointed it out...I apologize for my mistake...maybe I should have read it out loud!

Rock
Old 04-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Veteran

Roco I have a X15 paper chart. old but it still works good. You can tell the size of the fish by the size of the arch.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:37 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Sea Sea,
I have one of those oldies but goodies (X-16) somewhere in my pile of used eqiptment,they are great,especialy for tuna fishing,I just got tired of dealing with the paper,plus it didnt fit well on my dash...
Old 04-22-2005, 02:31 PM

These guys are right on, but here is another way of putting the answer that came from the Lowrance rep at one of our tournaments. Just remember that you are not watching TV (the screen is not a picture at all, it's a graph) the only relevant thing on the screen is the far right side of the graph. This is directly under the transducer at the moment. Everything else is past history. One very useful tid-bit. If you set the machine to scroll at the max speed. When you are trolling U-rigs or lead line at 2.7 to 3.0 mph with 80 to 100 feet out your bait will be approximately in the center of the screen. This will help you judge when to speed up to get over humps or rocks or other structure, and when to chop the throttle to let the rig fall off a ledge. This is the real trick to successful u-rig fishing.