VA Saltwater Boat Fishing License - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Albemarle Sound
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Albemarle Sound A forum for the Albemarle sound guys

Old 12-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Official Member

Default VA Saltwater Boat Fishing License

I went today to renew my VA Saltwater fishing boat license which I have bought for 8yrs and now VA will not let a nonresident renew or get a new saltwater boat license. You can get one if we register our boat in VA but still have to purchase a NON RESIDENT saltwater fishing license and on top of that they doubled the price from $38 to $76.

They want us to buy a non resident fishing lic so when the police,coastguard, marine patrol come along side they see you don't have a va boat sticker this gives them a reason to board to see your handheld license and check your boat.

VA has just won my dumbass prize for the year and fits right along side of that dumbass President we have.

Way to go VA I knew you were stupid now you proved it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Official member

Default Re: VA Saltwater Boat Fishing License

The Va guys have been hollering for this ever since the NC CRFL went into effect. I didn't know they had done it though.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:34 PM
I live to fish!

I got my VA boat license a couple of weeks ago and paid the 38 dollars and they mailed me my stickers and I got them this weekend. Guess I got in under the radar this year. So do I understand you cannot get a VA boat license on a out of state boat but you must get a nonresident fishing license for everyone on the boat. Is that correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Official Member

Yea thats correct, I guess you got in under the radar, they want you to register your boat in VA (to get taxes on it, but I don't understand how that would work since you don't live ina county/city of va for personal property tax) and then you still have to pay $78 for a non resident saltwtr fishing license.

Screw them The way I figure it VA lost money= Everyone that normally goes with me buys a va fishing lic anyway, so normally they get $38 from me now they got $26 they lost $12, the diffference between the boat sticker and non resident lic so I made twelve dollars, Bite me VA you lost money I hope it bankrups you.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:45 PM
IT'S A ROCK THING

Bought my last week for the new boat 38.00 dollars.

Tidewater 25
Twin 150 Yamaha
Triple j
Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Striper Hunter

yep wnt to get them last night asked for my VA vessel # I backed out and called today, the conversation got pretty heated I probably am a wanted man right now in VA, but after what I did this evening there no need to go up there anyway
Old 12-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydeco View Post
Bought my last week for the new boat 38.00 dollars.
Where did you buy yours? Maybe there is a loop hole (the store you bought yours from)
Old 12-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Striper Hunter

For the states it's not about the money taken in from the licenses. It's about protecting the striper fishery. There needs to be better knowledge of everyone who is fishing whether by boat ( commercially or rec ) as well as by shore. This is just a starting point. Over the next few years it is going to become more stringent. This will also help to identify poachers more readily. Those who follow the laws will have no issues. It's costing everyone more to fish no matter how you go about it. And this is a good beginning step for the conservation of the striper fishery for everyone
Old 12-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Striper Hunter

I hate it when somene makes good sense of a bad sitiation, I as a fisherman would like to know where I can see how my license fees are helping. I belong to DU and see what my duck stamp does, I belong to QDMA and I know what my hunting license buys and maintains millions of acres of land ,but I really don't know what my fishin money does. I understand protect and stop poaching and overcatching. But in this case how, oh never mind we don't have a boat license in NC just greedy I guess as far as that goes not really a big issue, but can someone explain the other question?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night crawler
I as a fisherman would like to know where I can see how my license fees are helping
I really dont want to talk out of turn especially for Virginia or another state but as a concerned observers we witnessed a debacle involving the Va. Environmental Conservation department personnel in 2005 or thereabouts. At issue were department employees (conservation officers) with their own personal credit expense cards. Several of them spent 10s of thousands on an African safari on the public dime.
There was such a public outcry that indictments were finally handed down after two years only to see the chief resign and eventually all acquitted in court of theft of service charges.
It has been documented here in this forum somewhere (I would have to research the exact dispositions as this is from vague recollection).
Anyhow the intent on any licensing fees are to be earmarked as dedicated to the fishery specifically IE marine patrol and Environmental conservation etc, etc.
The problems stems from the enevitability of monies being siphoned into a general fund and misappropriated by the budget pencil pushers and political maneuverer's.

Wallop-Breaux Act is in another basket but is definitely intertwined into this mix.
The Wallop-Breaux Act aka (Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration Act) --
Funds are derived from a 10-percent excise tax on certain items of sport fishing tackle (Internal Revenue Code of 1954, sec. 4161), a 3-percent excise tax on fish finders and electric trolling motors, import duties on fishing tackle, yachts and pleasure craft, interest on the account, and a portion of motorboat fuel tax revenues and small engine fuel taxes authorized under the Internal Revenue Code (Sec. 9503).

To be eligible to participate in the Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration program, states are required to assent to this law and pass laws for the conservation of fish which include a prohibition against the diversion of license fees for any other purpose than the administration of the state fish department. Funds for the permanently appropriated States sport fish program are apportioned on a formula basis for paying up to 75 percent of the cost of approved projects which include acquisition and improvement of sport fish habitat, stocking of fish, research into fishery resource problems, surveys and inventories of sport fish populations, and acquisition and development of access facilities for public use. Funds for the remaining programs under the Act must be authorized to be appropriated from the Sport Fish Restoration Account by Congress.
Each State’s share is based 60 percent on its licensed anglers (fisherman) and 40 percent on its land and water area. No State may receive more than 5 percent or less than 1 percent of each year’s total apportionment.

A search of this site will show what percentage of these taxes are earmarked to each state.++

edit.

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=15449
Old 12-09-2009, 10:26 AM

Please Forgive the off topic digression.

You guys are probably all to familiar with this.
But for the record here is the documentation of the case outlined above.

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=1388
Old 12-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Official Member

Buy a MD boat fishing license for $50.00 it will work in VA.