Mackerel? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 05-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Official Member

Default Mackerel?

Who's catching macs? How far north are they? I'm trying to gauge when they will be thick off the north shore of MA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 09:21 AM
swabbie

Default Re: Mackerel?

They are in the outer boston harbor now. I caught two last weekend but had to work hard for them. The school was moving around pretty quickly and never stayed in one place.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 AM

Some ground chum tossed in the water will help to hold the school close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 12:59 PM
swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
Some ground chum tossed in the water will help to hold the school close.
That's a great idea. I'll have to try that the next time I'm out there.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Official Member

Thanks for the report from Boston. From what I'm hearing, the macks still aren't in up by the Merrimack yet.

Ditto about the chum...keep a good steady slick going to bring the macks to the boat. I don't know if they still sell them, but I used to buy chum in a plastic sleeve about 5" diameter and maybe 14" long. The chum was very creamy and would not freeze. I don't know what was in it, but the mackerel couldn't refuse the stuff! I tried to buy some last year but it wasn't around.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Young salt

Default Re: Mackerel ~ "Bait Balls" Feedback Appreciated!!!

Just to throw my .2 cents in here about chumming from the surf, I came up with an idea last weekend (ok, so it was after a "few" beers, doesn't make it a bad idea right??) for what I like to call bait balls!!!! I take any chunk bait I have left over from an outing as well as the tails/discarded pieces that I'd otherwise throw away and chop it into fine pieces. I then take a fair amount of this mush, put it into sandwich bags and fill to about 1/2 way with tap water (you can play around with the bait to water ratio to get a decent concentrate). I then tie the bags off and stick 'em in the freezer for my next outing and when I get to the beach, I simply take them out of the bags and throw 'em as far as I can (Thanks to Wild Dave for reminding me that I didn't post the 'taking them out of the bag' part.) They should freeze about 90% of the way through, I'm guessing due to the small amount of salt in the chum!!! This makes them plenty solid enough to throw but not so much that they stick to the bag. I've only done this a few times but it just stands to reason (IMO) that the further out ya get the "chum" the further away the fish can be that you'll attract!!! I'd imagine it doesn't take long for these "bait balls" to melt once they hit the salt water and the chum to start floating around. Just something I conjured up, but I welcome all opinions, thoughts and ideas both Pro/Con!!!!

I've also heard of cat/dog food (fish flavored maybe) being used due to it's strong odor........mixed in with some chum and then frozen perhaps???

Last edited by StriperHyper; 05-28-2008 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Forgot a step!!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Veteran Elite

Check out the bait bags lobster fisherman use and take out the freezing process. Tie them to a line so your not creating litter. Great idea let's have another beer...forgot I'm working.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Young salt

Did I forget to put that part in there, taking the "bait balls" out of the bag is part of the process......I already edited the post once, can I do it again??? Initially I thought they'd stick to the side of the bag and create a problem but I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't. My guess is that the amount of salt in the "chum" (again you'll have to play around with the water to chum ratio) allows it to freeze solid enough to throw but not all the way through!!! Try it out, it's pretty cool....now about those beers.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

I have few places I set traps for green crabs. If I leave it, and nobody F's with it for 2 days or more, I swear I can fill three five gallon buckets. I welded a special mixing bit for my milwauke drill, put something over the bucket, and hopefully I'll wind up with wipped crab slury. I haven't actually tried it yet, but I think it'll work. That milwauke drill go through em like butta! Take that green crabs!
Old 06-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Official Member

Went out today and caught 85 or so about 3 miles out from the Merrimack. They aren't as thick as they will be, but around in good enough numbers to make for productive jigging.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:55 PM
First Mate

finally a mack report.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:28 PM

There were a few macs being caught in the Kennebunk River in Maine yesterday. It got me pretty excited.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Official Member

The waters outside of the Merrimack are still loaded with Mackerel but for every large one caught there are 10-20 little tinkers.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Official Member

Default Still around?

Anyone still catching macks outside of the merrimack? I am working on my gameplan for this weekend...
Old 07-05-2008, 07:32 PM

They told me today at Kennebec Angler in Bath, ME that there might be mackerel this far up, but I didn't see anything at Five Islands and Reid State Park was dead for fish.