SOMETHING DIFFERENT-Working the Ice at Lake George (w/pics) - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Striper Guides & Charters
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Striper Guides & Charters Fishing Reports from Striped Bass Fishing Captains. (All other registered members can reply to threads, but only the Guides can start threads.)

Old 03-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Striper Hunter

Default SOMETHING DIFFERENT-Working the Ice at Lake George (w/pics)

Tom Hughes Guide Service
Fly & Light Tackle Fishing the Chesapeake Bay

Working the Ice at Lake George, NY

Note: Click on any picture to enlarge.

Ice Fishing on 02-22-08 & 02-23-08
John Keeler, Bill Kassakatis, and I left Mechanicsburg, PA by 9:30 am on Thursday, February 21, 2008, heading to Warren County, NY. John's son, Scott, invited us to fish a tournament on Lake George. The scenery was beautiful as we drove north on Rt. 87 for the 6 1/2 hour trip. We were ice fishing for yellow perch, lake trout, and northern pike on Friday and Saturday. On Saturday we were to fish a local tournament held by Glens Falls Kiwanis Club.

We arrived at Lake George, NY around 4:00 pm and our first stop was at the FISH307.com Tackle Shop on Rt. 9. A lot of regulars were in this shop purchasing equipment for the upcoming tournament. Jeff the owner of FISH307.com, was busy, but had time to gave us a warm welcome. We all signed up to fish the tournament, purchased some ice fishing equipment, then followed Scott to his home.

Before going too far I want to thank Scott and Bev Keeler for their hospitality. The saying, 'feel like you're at home', is one thing, but upon entered Scott and Bev's home that saying became a reality. I just can't thank you enough for your kindness.

Friday, 02-22-08
Scott had been pre-fishing the Lake prior to our arrival. To get a full gasp of what's done on a normal day of ice fishing I started taking pictures once I got off the 4 wheel ATV (wheeler) onto the Lake.

Scott With All Equipment Needed To Have A Productive Day 'on the ice'

Setting Up the Power Auger

Drilling Holes in 8" of Ice

The Finished Product...Or...The Fishing Hole

After 4 holes were drilled 3 ice fishing shelters were set up. 2 were attached together, a propane heater installed, then fired up giving John and me enough heat to take off our jackets. Bill got the single shelter with no heat. We started fishing for yellow perch. It was slow so I moved out on the ice just in time to see Rondog fighting a nice fish.

Rondog Had a Good Hook-Up

After A Nice Fight He Landed This Nice Lake Trout (Laker)

One Happy Angler Landed Both of These Lakers

They Were Caught on this Spoon with Attached Plastic Minnow

Rondog was nice enough to share his technique with meas I watched his Vexilar Finder show that more lakers were on the bottom.

I Joined in...Ultra-Lite Jigging at it's Best

Bill Kassakatis Isn't Rushing This Catch
With a 6# Fluorocarbon Leader Playing the Fish is a Must

Bill Lands This Nice Laker on a Lure

This is the Lure Used to Catch the Above Laker-#6 Chubby Darter, Dalmation Finish

Thursday evening I read an article titled 'Tips For Icing More Lake Trout (but not tip-ups)' by Steve Piatt. It was published in the New York Outdoor News in the Jan 25, 2008 Issue. Ron Nadler Jr., a Sales Associate, at FISH307.com, went over step by step on how to catch lakers using lures. His technique struck me as something worth trying on tournament day, Saturday. Ron gave details on what rod, reel, line, and the technique to use. If you prefer using lures instead of bait I strongly recommend you read this article and follow through by trying it.

I needed some equipment to this technique out on the following day so we stopped at Fish305.com where I purchased the following; an Eagle Claw ice fishing rod ($9.00), along with a few size 9 Swedish Pimples in White Ice and White Pink, and a spool of Yo-Zuri 10# test Hybrid Line.

Saturday, 02-23-08
By the time John, Bill and I hit the ice around 7 am, Scott and his fishing buddy, Doug, had arrived on the ice early and drilled enough holes for 25 tip-ups and 5 perch holes. Perch fishing started slow in the morning, but pick up around noon. I was very excited to fish for lakers with my new rod and lure. Scott and I went out over 70' of water and he drilled 8 holes where I could fish. We had plans to fish in the tournament today.

Laker Set-Up

I Landed 2 Nice Lakers, 1 Hit on the Rise, and 1 Hit on the Drop. I Lost One that Hit on the Rise.

The Weigh-In

A Partial Picture of the Winning Catches
(L-R)
Top Row- Yellow Perch, Lake Trout, Landlocked King Salmon
Bottom Row- Yellow Perch, Lake Trout, Northern Pike, Pickerel
Note: The Outdoor Temperature 30 Degrees-No Fish Were Wasted

Jeff Giving Away Prizes Donated by FISH307.com

1st Place Prize

This trip goes down as one to remember. I'm looking forward to ice fishing next year at this time.

NOTE: I'll be speaking at the Bass Pro Shop this Saturday and Sunday, and on Friday night 3/7/08.
Booking Susquehanna Trips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 02:07 PM
First Mate

Default Re: SOMETHING DIFFERENT-Working the Ice at Lake George (w/pics)

I enjoyed that. Very informative with some good pictures.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:21 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Great post... thanks for sharing that... fantastic pictures!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Wishin i was fishin

Great post/pics!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Bowanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
Great post... thanks for sharing that... fantastic pictures!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Veteran Elite

Fishing on a snow covered lake while its snowin can't be beat. No matter how cold it may be. Nice pics.