Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Drilling out the Penn 704 and 706

20K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
First attemp and Pics

#2 ·
Re: Drilling out the 704 an 706

Im just going ahead and give it a shot. "Van penn" style. :whistle: Ill be careful to balance the holes and not weaken the metal. :zoinks: Mark it out with a marker or tape first.

I might drill through the top and bottom of the spools as well.
I will use a parts reel first and see how it goes. Pics as i go.

#3 ·

I haven't done it myself (having machinist friends is a good thing) but I was told it's best to run a piece of masking tape around, mark the centers, indent with a harder metal awl, predrill with a 1/8th bit then drill with the larger bit -
The large bit will want to wander if you just start drilling with no prep.

#4 ·

Thanks Suds. Thats just what i did. Drilled through each section on the bottom except the counter weight.
drilled angled side holes ala VS. I will drill 4 holes on each side opposite each other through the spool
Drills on the recharge. Got this far.
Who needs a machinist. :whistle:
The Van Penn.

#6 ·
Looks pretty good so far Jim, I wonder about the holes in the spool though, I suppose if it is very carefully de-burred so that the edges of the holes can't grab the line, it should work, but my line finds enough reasons to come off in large wads from time to time, I'm not looking for any ways to make it happen more often.
Please report back how it casts like that.

#7 ·
My 706 is done like that, no issues at all. To be honest I don't think it really does anything except look pretty :redbiggrin:

Tire Gas Automotive tire Wheel Plastic

#9 ·
Nice.

One other note while researching the drilling.
I think it was an old post on Noreast board about retiming the handle.
When the handle is in the downward position, your spool should be up.
You do this by adding or subtracting washers from behind the handle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.