Question on primers - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:36 PM
First Mate

Default Question on primers

The new plugs i've been building i've been using zinzer oil base primer.What is the difference between zinzer oil base primer&zinzer shellac.Do i need to use this kind of product or can i use rustoleum Automotive primer wich i had been using.The reason i went to zinzer caus i thought it might be a better way to go.My small polaris screw eye plugs were primed w/rusto/automotive and had no problem.The difference i find is the zinzer when dried has a harder outer shell.Also seems to suck in more.Both easy to sand.I find the rustoleum goes alot further,25 plugs.Zinzer-10 plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 10:34 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Question on primers

I've, at one time or the other, used all the products you have named... remember, the Zinsser products are made to be used on wood... I personaly have gone to the zinsser cover stain, but both the oil base and shelac based are good... because I seal with oil based product, i try to stay with an oil based primer...the shelac based primer is alcohol soluble... water and alcohol can mix, so in my warped way of thinking, it is not the best product for the job... now for your delema, think about the usage... the reason you are getting more out of the rustolium , is because it is sitting on the surface, not penetrating the wood... to eventualy it can( could) cause an adhesion problem, your finished product is only as durable as it's weakest link... that said I know quite a few talented plug builders that use Rustolium and Krylon primers and paints.. something I myself did for many years...
Old 02-18-2011, 08:05 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Question on primers

I've been using z-coverstain.You'r right about the rustoleum-grey primer.Redoing a couple of plugs from last year and i find the paint has stuck to the primer but the primer has peeled from the wood with the paint attached.No penetration with grey primer.I primed a piece of wood ,let it dry and scraped the coverstain w/knife.Doesn't flake off and when i got to the wood underneath you could see the penetration into the wood by the primer.I'll stay with z/cover as i see it does what i'm looking for.Thanks for the feed back.