Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Should I try to build one?

Tags
build
3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  StormCaster 
#1 ·
What do you think? Can a googan build a rod? I'm looking for a 6'6" to 7' spinning rod to be used from a boat. I'll probably throw a Shimano 4500 on it. I want to throw 1 to 4 ounce plugs. Most will be in the 2 to 3 ounce range with an occasional 4 ounce 14 inch jointed pikie.:whistle:

What do I need to build my first rod? Can someone throw together a materials list and make a recommendation that won't break the bank. This is my first, so we need to be gentle.:redbiggrin: Must be capable of bringing in the 50 I'm dreaming about.:a_dreaming:

#6 ·
OK. This is the scoop. I just got off the phone with Gunny, and I'm building a Striper247 Gathering rod. Looks to be a a one piece 9 footer. Goal is to bring it to the Fort Getty gathering May 17. I hope rod building isn't as addictive as plug building......:a_goodjob:

BTW, finally made it down to test drive some plugs. Most worked great. The wind was blowing and I began to loose feeling in my fingers, but it was worth it. I finally dipped the plugs in salt water...:banana::banana:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.