Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Herrring use banned next year??

13K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  aNskY 
#1 ·
I just got an email from a boardmember here and he said he was given a heads-up from Tom at the River Basin that herring use may be on the table to be banned next year in NY. Has anyone else heard anything about this? It would really piss me off if they passed this!

#3 ·
I have not heard anything for 2010, but every year for the past 5yrs or so that topic comes up.

Same with the J-hook ban, that one has come up about the past 10yrs or so.

I don't see it happening for 2010, but it may be the last year :einstein:

BB

#4 ·
Well this doesn't seem to be a rumor. I just recived a email from dec that they will be having a meeting in jan of feb discussing the change in fisheries for herring and shad. Its looks like it won't take affect till 2012. Its not def but it looks like it can happen. Heres the email I recieved It say to pass it on to anyone that may be interested. Hopefully it works.

Attachments

#5 ·
Good luck with that, guys. Same thing happened to us down here in eastern NC in 2006 thru 2010. Moratorium on herring... Its now 2009, we still do what we do, and the numbers haven't seemed to increase at all, but you can bet your arse the striper fishing got more challenging!!! Stupid, stooooooooooopidddddddddd!!!

#6 ·
I think the ONLY thing we have going for us is that the herring are only here for about six weeks. Yes, they are here to spawn, but recreational fishermen won't hurt the breeding stock. I think that if DEC was to limit posession to six per person of LIVE herring, it would help. No one needs to have five or six dozen herring in the boat for two or three people. I was guilty of this myself this year. On one particularly good morning, me and my girlfriend's grandfather scapped up 100 herring. We used about two dozen all day between five of us and the rest I gave to my dad to use for trapping this fall. For shits and giggles, when I was bagging them up. I cut random fish open to see if they were male or female. Of the two dozen fish I checked, EVERY ONE was a male! Weird. I think we all need to attend at least one of the DEC meetings and voice our concerns. It would also help if we as anglers offered compromising solutions as well.

#9 ·
This is one of the dumbest things I have seen posted in a while. The rec fisherman won't hurt the breeding stock as you go on and say you scapped 100 used 2 dozen and cut others up for shits and giggles????? If I were you I wouldn't tell this story at the meeting. Do some research on how herring spawn!!!!!!!!!!!! And you talk about being pissed off if it passes??? I'm more pissed reading your rant. Maybe next year you won't be as careless. Guess what?? YOU HURT THE BREEDING STOCK by wasting 80 herring in just 1 trip. Go figure:anon: I am assuming these are river herring?

#7 ·
I just got my gill net renewal forms and they are not even issuing herring shad net licenses this year i have had the herring shad tag for years but it be gone now. as for herring usage this spring i got the same email about public meetings but in my estimation it is a done deal already. man they really know how to screw up a good time don't they like the herring we take for bait during the run up the hudson is really what is reducing herring numbers. GIVE ME A BREAK! Lets all try to turn out to be heard but i do have a baaaad feeling about this this year.

#8 ·
Yeah, I got my scap net renewal two weeks ago. I also mailed in my survey that is required if you want another scap net permit. The girl ( Amanda?) called the house TWICE asking for further info such as how many days I scapped and for how long each session. I made sure I told her that for the past few years I have seen TONS of herring later in the season just swimming by the shore and splashing on the rocks in the shallows. Not mating, just getting ready I guess. This has been witnessed as far north as the Coeymans area- just ask Hung4Wheeler. They need info bad because they HAVE to have a plan in place by 2012 per AMSFC regs.

#12 ·
I also mailed in my survey that is required if you want another scap net permit. The girl ( Amanda?) called the house TWICE asking for further info such as how many days I scapped and for how long each session. I made sure I told her that for the past few years I have seen TONS of herring later in the season just swimming by the shore and splashing on the rocks in the shallows. Not mating, just getting ready I guess.
Yeah i sent mine in a month ago or so (i have the dip net permit) ... me and my buddy also did a volunteer Herring monitoring program that lasted 8 weeks during Apr/May. Basically just a 15min spot check in local creeks and report what you see for activity and approx numbers of fish.

Here is what concered me, A number of the volunteers were not fishermen and didn't even know what to look for. Just looking at the creek your not going to see much and if they reported back NOT seeing ANY fish, that is not going to help our case !! There are a lot more Herring around than they think.

I would put on my waders and go up the mouth of the creek, even attract them with the stoolie even though i was not even netting any at the time. That way i could give accurate numbers. Just standing there you don't see many. I understand they are trying to help but i would be surprised it they saw many at all ?!?!?!

My 2 cents !

Guess i'll have to try a few new tactics this year and find a new way to catch them for future years.

BB

#13 ·
You know, this is just one more thing about NY that really pisses me off. How the hell are the people at DEC suppossed to make sound conservation decisions about our fish and game if THEY don't get out there and do some actual field work. Other states like Minnesota and Michigan for example are very proactive in managing their natural resources. Did you happen to see this on the DEC website?: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/nyherrstatus.pdf

It paints pretty scary picture.

#14 ·
The Dec is way off base but it is the only fishery they can regulate. The real problem with our decreasing herring numbers can be attributed to Offshore Trawlers killing River herring Bycatch when they are targeting Sea herring. These nets are as long a a football field wide and also as long and are roughly 8 stories high. The River herring co mingle with the sea herring and are thus killed as Bycatch. A single tow of the net can harvest as much as 100,000 pounds of herring. The Sea Herring boundaries has been expanded while some states wrangle with legislation that will take years to pass while more bycatch is wasted and not regulated or counted. The Dec will admit to this and their limited knowledge of the actual Bycatch numbers. Let me assure you they are massive losses and this why the herring numbers as a whole in the river have decreased. Their intended regulation of our river herring is just a futile attempt by them to cover up the real truth to what's going on and their inability to do anything about it. This is the sad truth and they will destroy the hudson river Striped Bass fishery. I'm already selling my boat as I can see the future and what it holds with their ridiculous denial of the real truth behind the herring stock decline and their ludicous proposals to fix it.

#17 ·
That's the only thing the Dec is interested in, money and how they
can get their share. The Trawler bycatch is the answer to the herring number decline. Nothing else. The Feds are supposed to put monitors
on the trawlers but admit it is rarely if ever done. Yet our glorious
Dec wants to restrict the use of herring in the river. Why? Because
they can regulate it to some degree. I brought this up at last years meeting in Staatsburgh and they promised to look into it as they
know it is a big problem. If anyone goes to this years meeting ask
them what they learned and what the impact is? They won't have
an answer for you because they have their own agenda for the river.
Gunner I'm sorry to say this but as you mentioned, I doubt your
son will ever be able to enjoy what we once did. The state will
destroy this great fishery within 2 years from what I have heard.
It's why I'm selling my boat as I don't want to get stuck with
something I use for a month and soon won't use at all. It's the sad
truth and I knew when they got their hands into the pie it was all over with.

#18 ·
i think that if they do anythging they should not ban it but put a limit on the number you could catch, there are millions that go up the river. what they should ban is the commercial fishing done in the rivers. they don't allow commercial fishing up the rivers the salmon spawn in do they. and only allow a couple of days instead of months at the mouth of the rivers for commercial fishing.

#19 ·
Here is the link to a very interesting document posted by the ASMFC. It shows among other things the commercial harvest of river herring. Bewtween two states in between the years of 1980-2006, 90 MILLION POUNDS of river herring were harvested COMMERCIALLY!! 90 MILLION POUNDS! That acconts for 80% of the TOTAL commercial harvest amongst the 12 ASMFC states. In 2006 Maine had OVER one million pounds commercial harvest while New York only had 9,748 pounds. Obviously, the problem lies within the states that have a more direct ocean contact, not here in NY where the herring are only here for 6-8 weeks a year. Anyways, here's the link as promised. It's a VERY interesting read: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/herringpid.pdf

#22 ·
TO: River herring fishers & interested individuals

In May 2009, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission adopted
Amendment 2 to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for Shad and River
herring. This amendment will guide future river herring management for
all Atlantic coastal states. New York, as a member of ASMFC, is required
under federal law to follow this new management plan.

For Amendment 2, the Shad and River Herring Management Board approved
the following as the management measure for both commercial and
recreational fisheries:

States with river herring (anadromous alewife and blueback herring)
stocks must close fisheries (commercial / recreational) except for those
systems with a sustainable fishery.

"Sustainable" is defined as "those that can demonstrate their
alewife or blueback herring stock(s) could support a commercial and / or
recreational fishery that will not diminish the potential future stock
reproduction or recruitment." Simply, this means that adults and
production of young in a stock cannot be in decline. If you would like
more information, the entire amendment can be found at www.asmfc.org
under "managed species", shad and river herring.

So what does Amendment 2 mean to you? There are two options for herring
fisheries in New York:

1. All river herring fisheries will be closed, OR
2. NY would have to show that any fishery, either recreational or
commercial, is "sustainable" based on available data.

Three public information meetings are scheduled:

Mid-Hudson
18 March 2010, 7-10 pm
NYSDEC Region 3 office
21 S. Putt Corners Rd
New Paltz, NY

Upper Hudson valley
30 March, 2010, 7-10 pm
Town of Bethlehem Town Hall
445 Delaware Ave
Delmar, NY

Long Island
23 March, 2010, 7-9 pm
NYSDEC Marine Resources office
205 Belle Meade Rd.
East Setauket, NY

Objectives of the meetings:
- Outline the requirements for NY in the recently adopted Atlantic
State Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) Amendment 2 (river herring) to
the Shad and river herring management plan.

Hudson Valley meetings:
- give a presentation on available river herring data for the Hudson
- open a discussion of how the herring fishery operates in the Hudson
and the need for changes to meet this new amendment

Long Island:
- for Long Island streams- discussion of what we know about herring
runs on Long Island and data needs.

All interested stakeholders are invited to attend to listen and
participate in discussions.

If you have any questions, please send a message to the Hudson River
Fisheries Unit mailbox at: r3hrf@gw.dec.state.ny.us

For any other questions, you can also call us at:

Kris McShane 845-256-3009
Amanda Higgs 845-256-3073
Kathy Hattala 845-256-3071
Andy Kahnle 845-256-3072

PLEASE FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO ANY OTHER INTERESTED INDIVIDUALS.

Kathryn A. Hattala
Fisheries Biologist
Hudson River Fisheries Unit
Bureau of Marine Resources
NYSDEC

#23 ·
Originally Posted by gunner1
I think the ONLY thing we have going for us is that the herring are only here for about six weeks. Yes, they are here to spawn, but recreational fishermen won't hurt the breeding stock. I think that if DEC was to limit posession to six per person of LIVE herring, it would help. No one needs to have five or six dozen herring in the boat for two or three people. I was guilty of this myself this year. On one particularly good morning, me and my girlfriend's grandfather scapped up 100 herring. We used about two dozen all day between five of us and the rest I gave to my dad to use for trapping this fall. For shits and giggles, when I was bagging them up. I cut random fish open to see if they were male or female. Of the two dozen fish I checked, EVERY ONE was a male! Weird. I think we all need to attend at least one of the DEC meetings and voice our concerns. It would also help if we as anglers offered compromising solutions as well.

This is one of the dumbest things I have seen posted in a while. The rec fisherman won't hurt the breeding stock as you go on and say you scapped 100 used 2 dozen and cut others up for shits and giggles????? If I were you I wouldn't tell this story at the meeting. Do some research on how herring spawn!!!!!!!!!!!! And you talk about being pissed off if it passes??? I'm more pissed reading your rant. Maybe next year you won't be as careless. Guess what?? YOU HURT THE BREEDING STOCK by wasting 80 herring in just 1 trip. Go figure:anon: I am assuming these are river herring?

-----------------
yep I have to agree with this poster.........I fish the upper hudson near troy every year, and its a great time. But I see way too many people catch 50-200 herring, then when the day is over, toss most of them dead back in the water. Makes me sick, actually. Use your head, guys. These herring are spawning in the postenkill, and other streams. Think of the odds of living in the ocean for a whole year, getting past all the predators, trawlers, fisherman, and making it all the way back up the hudson, and then getting killed for NO reason, and thrown back in dead. Every female you kill represents thousands that begin the incredible journey, of which I am sure less than 1% make it back.......and we are wasting that 1%!! Yes, I am guilty of killing more than I use every year, 5-6 each time out, but I am vowing to stop doing that this year. We need the herring to even catch stripers this far up........the stripers simply dont bite on eels, or lures this far up for some reason, like they do around Kingston and lower. Have fun this year guys, but lets be smart about conservation!

#25 ·
Make sure you voice your opinions on eradicating the zebra mussels that compete with herring for food.

That public meeting list has changed

Mid-Hudson
15 April 2010, 7-10 pm
NYSDEC Region 3 office
21 S. Putt Corners Rd
New Paltz, NY

Upper Hudson valley
21 April, 2010, 7-10 pm
445 Delaware Ave
Delmar, NY

Long Island
29 April, 2010, 7-9 pm
205 Belle Meade Rd.
East Setauket, NY

#26 ·
This is the last e-mail I received concering the hearings. I hope this helps those that are concerned about these changes. Saltyshar

TO: River herring fishers & interested individuals

In May 2009, the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission adopted
Amendment 2 to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for Shad and River herring. This amendment will guide future river herring management for all Atlantic coastal states. New York, as a member of ASMFC, is required under federal law to follow this new management plan.

For Amendment 2, the Shad and River Herring Management Board approved
the following as the management measure for both commercial and
recreational fisheries:

States with river herring (anadromous alewife and blueback herring)
stocks must close fisheries (commercial / recreational) except for those
systems with a sustainable fishery.

"Sustainable" is defined as "those that can demonstrate their
alewife or blueback herring stock(s) could support a commercial and / or
recreational fishery that will not diminish the potential future stock
reproduction or recruitment." Simply, this means that adults and
production of young in a stock cannot be in decline. If you would like
more information, the entire amendment can be found at www.asmfc.org
under "managed species", shad and river herring.

So what does Amendment 2 mean to you? There are two options for herring fisheries in New York:

1. All river herring fisheries will be closed, OR
2. NY would have to show that any fishery, either recreational or
commercial, is "sustainable" based on available data.

Three public information meetings are scheduled: Meetings have been
rescheduled from March to mid-late April:

Mid-Hudson
15 April 2010, 7-10 pm
NYSDEC Region 3 office
21 S. Putt Corners Rd
New Paltz, NY

Upper Hudson valley
21 April, 2010, 7-10 pm
445 Delaware Ave
Delmar, NY

Long Island
29 April, 2010, 7-9 pm
205 Belle Meade Rd.
East Setauket, NY

Objectives of the meetings:
- Outline the requirements for NY in the recently adopted Atlantic
State Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC) Amendment 2 (river herring) to
the Shad and river herring management plan.

Hudson Valley meetings:
- give a presentation on available river herring data for the Hudson
- open a discussion of how the herring fishery operates in the Hudson
and the need for changes to meet this new amendment

Long Island:
- for Long Island streams- discussion of what we know about herring
runs on Long Island and data needs.

All interested stakeholders are invited to attend to listen and
participate in discussions.

If you have any questions, please send a message to the Hudson River
Fisheries Unit mailbox at: r3hrf@gw.dec.state.ny.us

For any other questions, you can also call us at:

Kris McShane 845-256-3009
Amanda Higgs 845-256-3073
Kathy Hattala 845-256-3071
Andy Kahnle 845-256-3072

#27 ·
I fish the Albany area, we can jig the herring up up here. last few years it seems like most if not all were alewives, no bluebacks. am I mistaken? I plan to get pictures of each this year so I can compare them to what I catch and see if I am right or not. Anyone have any tips on how to distinguish them?

#30 ·
I fish the Albany area, we can jig the herring up up here. last few years it seems like most if not all were alewives, no bluebacks. am I mistaken? I plan to get pictures of each this year so I can compare them to what I catch and see if I am right or not. Anyone have any tips on how to distinguish them?
This might Help: http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7043.html

#28 ·
this was released today, anyone know is this just american shad or alewifes and bluebacks too? :smiliedoh:
ALBANY — State regulators have banned commercial and recreational shad fishing in the Hudson River and set new restrictions on shad fishing in the Delaware to help the species recover from a steep decline in population.

The new regulations effective today also prohibit the sale of any American shad caught in New York state.

State Department of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Pete Grannis says the Hudson River shad stock has declined dramatically for more than a decade, and has failed to rebound under restrictions enacted in 2008. He said the DEC will reopen the shad fishery when the population recovers to sustainable levels.

The new restrictions on the Delaware River reduce the daily creel limit from six fish to three and prohibit commercial shad fishing there

#29 ·
this was released today, anyone know is this just american shad or alewifes and bluebacks too? :smiliedoh:
ALBANY - State regulators have banned commercial and recreational shad fishing in the Hudson River and set new restrictions on shad fishing in the Delaware to help the species recover from a steep decline in population.

The new regulations effective today also prohibit the sale of any American shad caught in New York state.

State Department of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Pete Grannis says the Hudson River shad stock has declined dramatically for more than a decade, and has failed to rebound under restrictions enacted in 2008. He said the DEC will reopen the shad fishery when the population recovers to sustainable levels.

The new restrictions on the Delaware River reduce the daily creel limit from six fish to three and prohibit commercial shad fishing there
That is for the SHAD only ... the Herring deal is seperate.

B

#31 ·
Hopefully they will postpone the date again and by the time they get to making the laws the season will be over! I find it hard to beleive with the amount of herring that come up the river they are going to ban it completely. I would think that they will put a limit on the total amount you can have in possesion and out of that you can use some for bait.

#32 ·
I find it hard to beleive with the amount of herring that come up the river they are going to ban it completely. I would think that they will put a limit on the total amount you can have in possesion and out of that you can use some for bait.
Your NOT going to see a complete ban, most likey a daily possesion or something along those lines. They do not want to shut it down completely. And no need to worry about this 2010 year, there is a chance it may affect 2011 , but definatly by 2012 season.

:gob_icon_cheers:

#33 ·
FYI

Where have all the herring gone?
Link -Times Union

Population decline in bait fish could force ban, switch to artificial lures for striper catch
By BRIAN NEARING Staff writer

ALBANY - One of the rites of early spring fishing on the Hudson River is the run of striped bass, which come up from the Atlantic Ocean to spawn. A favorite bait for catching stripers is herring, a smaller fish that also comes from the ocean to spawn.
Now, a federal fishing commission, concerned that herring numbers along the East Coast are plummeting, has ordered New York and 14 other coastal states to limit or ban herring fishing by 2012 unless it can be proved that fish numbers locally are holding steady.
Some fishermen are worried that they may have to switch to less effective lures or other bait, but conservationists said something must be done to stem the decline of what is an important part of the food chain for larger fish.
In addition to being a bait fish, herring is used in many cat foods and is a source of omega-3 fatty acids, found in popular health supplements such as fish oil.
"Some areas have gone from a lot of herring to almost no herring in a big hurry," said Kathy Hattala, a fisheries biologist with the Bureau of Marine Resources at the state Department of Environmental Conservation.
After the fish began to vanish, Connecticut banned herring fishing in 2005, followed by Massachusetts and Rhode Island. In New York, there are no limits on amount of herring that can be taken.
A recent study found that blueback herring, one of the two herring types in the Hudson, are at about 1 percent of levels found in 1950, said David Strayer, a freshwater ecologist at the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies in Millbrook, Dutchess County. "Herring are coming close to flatline," he said.
Last year, the federal Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission ordered all 15 coastal states to prove herring populations were steady, or impose restrictions on it by 2012.
Several factors are combining to reduce herring numbers, including overfishing both on rivers and in the ocean, and the invasion of the Hudson in 1992 by zebra mussels, which consume microscopic plankton that is food for the herring, said Hattala.
Over the last two decades, the herring that return to the Hudson to spawn have been getting smaller and younger on average. The average fish, once about 11 inches, now about 9 inches, according to DEC data. Smaller fish produce fewer offspring, Hattala said.
After hatching in late spring, young herring remain in the river until the end of the summer, before venturing into the ocean. If the herring survive for three years or so, the fish will return to the Hudson to spawn, and the cycle repeats.
"We cannot control the mussels, and the weather conditions and flow in the ocean, but we can control the fishing, which will buy us some time to figure out these other things," said Hattala. "We want to know what the fishermen can live with."
At Coeymans Landing on the river in Albany County, Preston Lightsey has run a charter fishing business for a dozen years, and fished the river for about 30 years. He hasn't seen a decline, but admits he is most familiar with his section of the river.
Herring is bait, but a lot of people also fish for herring to eat. You can smoke them, pickle them," said Lightsey, owner of a 20-foot charter boat outfitted for striper fishing. "In this area, there are tons of herring. You can see them at the edge of the river, in the rocks."
Lightsey said if herring were banned, he could switch to artificial lures, which are not as effective at attracting stripers.
Another commercial fisherman, Joe DeMarco, owner of Upstate Charters, said, "I've been fishing the upper Hudson River, from the Troy dam to the Port of Albany, for over 25 years. There are more herring now than there ever was."
But, he added, a state limit on herring would only enhance the future of the fishery.
Another skipper says he has heard observations of the decline. John Lipscomb has run a water quality inspection boat for Hudson Riverkeeper, an environmental group, for 10 years.
He's met lock keepers along the Erie Canal system who told him that they've seen the decline. Herring are able to run through canal locks going upriver on the Mohawk much more easily than the return downriver, when they often get sucked into the locks' mechanical works. "Lock keepers tell me that a few decades ago, there would be dead and injured herring floating on the surface near the locks, so many that you could smell them. Now they are not seeing that," Lipscomb said

#38 ·
More info coming from DEC.
Posted - 04/16/2010 : 04:25:20 AM
NYS DEC Adopts New Freshwater Fishing Regs

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Pete Grannis today announced the finalization of changes to the state's freshwater fishing regulations which will become effective on Oct. 1, 2010.

"New York continues to provide some of the nation's best freshwater fishing, and these regulation changes will continue to sustain our robust fisheries, helping to ensure excellent fishing opportunities throughout New York for today and many years to come," Commissioner Grannis said.

The changes to the freshwater regulations are the result of a two-year process during which DEC solicited public feedback during the development of the proposals, and also provided a comment period for public input on the draft rules.

"All of us at DEC are grateful for the feedback from anglers and other stakeholders during the rulemaking process and their input is reflected in this final package," Grannis added.

Some of the changes apply to multiple waters in New York, while others are waterbody-specific. Modifications to enhance angling opportunities for a particular species or group of species and regulations that provide for the protection of vulnerable game fish species are among the changes. Several actions will eliminate "special regulations" (i.e. those different than the Statewide Angler Regulations) that are no longer needed based on the targeted species' population trends. Highlights of the changes include:

1. A special allowance (mostly in DEC Regions 5 and 7) for five extra brook trout less than eight inches has been eliminated. With the exception of certain water-specific regulations, the daily limit is now five trout of any size.
2. A 10-fish daily limit has been established for river herring (alewife and blueback herring) on the Delaware River and the West Branch Delaware River bordering Pennsylvania.
3. The regulation for walleye on Burden Lake and Dunham Reservoir in Rensselaer County and Muskellunge Lake in Jefferson County requiring an 18-inch minimum size, three fish daily limit has been eliminated. Statewide regulations now apply.
4. Fishing is seasonally prohibited on a section of the Oswegatchie River below the dam in Ogdensburg in St. Lawrence County to protect spawning walleye.

5. Fishing for or possessing river herring (alewife and blueback herring) on the Mohawk River in Saratoga County between Lock 2 and Guard Gate 2 (Waterford Flight) is now prohibited.
6. A 1.8-mile catch and release/artificial lures only section has been established for trout on the Chittenango Creek between Cazenovia and Chittenango in Madison County.
7. The baitfish use restriction in Weeds Mine Pond in Columbia County has been eliminated.

Selected Long Island Highlights of Changes

8. The catch and release regulation for all species at Hempstead Lake in Nassau County has been eliminated. County-wide regulations now apply.
9. The 15-inch minimum size limit for black bass in Fort Pond and Lake Ronkonkoma in Suffolk County has been reduced to 12 inches.
10. A year-round catch and release season has been established for black bass in Randall Pond in Suffolk County.

Selected Adirondack Highlights of Changes

11. Special regulations for chain pickerel in various Region 5 waters have been eliminated. Statewide regulations now apply.
12. Special regulations for northern pike on Adirondack Lake in Hamilton County have been eliminated. Statewide regulations now apply.
13. Special regulations for yellow perch and sunfish in Clinton, Essex, Franklin and Hamilton Counties, including Schroon Lake have been eliminated. Statewide regulations now apply.
14. The open season for trout on Glen Lake (Warren County) has been extended to allow ice fishing.
15. The minimum size limit for lake trout has been reduced from 21 inches to 18 inches in Lake Bonaparte, Lewis County.

The full text of the new 2010-2012 regulations can be viewed at http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/34113.html on the DEC website. The "Assessment of Public Comment" is available on the Department of State website at http://www.dos.state.ny.us/info/register/2010.html by selecting "April 14, 2010." DEC reminds anglers to always check the regulations for the specific water where fishing is planned to make sure the regulations did not change.

Commissioner Grannis also encouraged all outdoor enthusiasts to consider purchasing a Habitat/Access Stamp, an optional stamp that helps support the DEC's efforts to conserve habitat and increase public access for fish and wildlife-related recreation. This year's stamp features a drawing of a pair of playful red fox. Buying a $5 stamp is a way to help conserve New York's fabulous wildlife heritage. More information about purchasing a Habitat Stamp is available at http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/329.html

More about Hudson River Marine Fisheries:

If we want to keep using herring in the hudson I think we are going to have to participate all we can. Being informed as much as possible and going to meetings and voicing what we find on the river is very important. I can't make the meetings that are scheduled but I hope many of you can and will report back to the rest of us here. :thu:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.