Fall Run 2012 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 08-30-2012, 08:36 AM
First Mate

Default Fall Run 2012

With the fall run quickly approaching I was thinking about a forum where we can all post our catches and track the Bass on their fall run. I live in Staten Island and usually fish the raritan but sometimes I venture out to IBSP or maybe Long Island. Lets track these babies and anything else we find out there in the water and have a safe and enjoyable fall run!!!

I was out there 2 nights ago just messing around with the cocktail blues and seen a ton of bait in the water. The snappers and peanut bunker were all over but with the high water temps all that were on them were the blues. I did run into a another surfcaster on the beach, who was right out of Hemingway's "The old man and and the sea" he had a white 1/2 sleeve shirt unbuttoned with the wind blowing it open, walked slowly while dragging his beach cart and eyes as blue as the ocean, I figured it to be an omen or something but no such luck that night. But as I was saying he ran into a few shortie bass who either started their run early (as the babies will) or they were just hanging around all summer.

I have also seen an abundance of mussel shells all over the beaches, more than I have ever seen anywhere else. We know that staten island is full of zebra mussel beds but these were different, much smaller and they actually looked fresh.

Well thats all I have for now, I will keep this thread updated as long as I am up here fishing for the fall run as I will be moving back to Florida in the near future (hopefully AFTER one more fall run!!!).
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 11:13 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Fall Run 2012

Went out again last night for a bit and noticed a few schools of peanut bunker getting hit by some cocktail blues. I ended up catching the worlds smallest sea robin, about 4" long!!! Thats about it, the water is way too warm, between 76-78 degrees right now. Hopefully this water will start cooling off and the stripers will start moving in a few weeks.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:13 PM
little Bobby

and i seen you were having a hard time bringing that sea robin in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 03:53 PM
First Mate

Well that sea robin and cocktail blue I caught were 2 more than you my friend!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 AM
First Mate

Heading out tonight to see whats out there... hearing stories of stripers being caught around Long Island.. I will let you guys know how it goes.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Striper Hunter

Any luck? I've read some good reports from Montauk the last few days, might head there this weekend.

CSH
Old 09-19-2012, 09:49 AM
First Mate

Nothing yet.... the water around sandy hook and staten island is still around 73 degrees... but Montauk is at 69 and Boston harbour is 57 degrees so they are about to start their run!!! I am gonna wait one more weekend before I start hitting it hard. I will def let you know if I hit anything. Good luck out there...
Old 09-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Striper Hunter

Just got back from Maine where the bass action was hot. How have you been doing? Any sign of them?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Striper Hunter

I fished Montauk from 4pm to around 10pm on Thursday night. The only interest I got was from a seal. Probably saw 20 other guys throughout the day and night and only saw one brought in (a schoolie, not sure what he was using but he was chunking)

There were several filleted carcasses laying on the beach, but there usually are in Montauk.

Stopped at Johnnys B&T on the way in and he said it was starting to pick up...maybe I just went on the wrong night.

Havent tried anywhere else yet, probably do Montauk again next week

CSH
Old 09-30-2012, 03:05 AM
Official Member

fish the MTK today lot's of fish. can't wait till next weekend..........Good luck guy's if you going out there..............

"AL"
Old 10-01-2012, 08:29 AM
First Mate

I'm going to head out late Saturday night to fish the moon rise... or is it the moon set? I don't remember but its at 1030... so I'm expecting action to be nice around 9pm-12am... I have never really fished the moon as much as i should but this season its all I am gonna do. I know that the moon has a lot to do with the stripers eating habits so this season I will put it to the test. Tired of just standing in front of the water casting... time to spend more time catching!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Striper Hunter

I won't be able to get out to Montauk until the Oct 18th. Going to leave from Melville early to mid afternoon and fish into the night (last time I left around 11). If anyone wants to join me shoot me a pm or reply, I'm going either way so I'm happy to give you a ride if you're close or easy to pick up on the way, figured I might learn a thing or two from one of you vets

CSH
Old 10-02-2012, 08:21 AM
First Mate

Montauk should be jumping right now! Water temps up north have dropped a lot and they are on the move!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:30 AM
little Bobby

where are the bass?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 AM
First Mate

No Bass on Staten Island this year....