Up river bass during the fall run. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boating Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boating Beginners Beginner Boating Questions and Answers

Old 10-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Default Up river bass during the fall run.

Hello all. I'm not ashamed to say that probably all the bass I've ever caught were completely by accident. I was doing something right and most likely didn't even know it.

I know I'm still learning, and I wish I knew something that you guys have probably discovered the hard way.

I'm wondering: during the fall run, I imagine fish coming from up north, pooring OUT of the river systems. For me this is Maine, NH, and maybe Nova Scotia. Each new moon phase brings them south like the ticking of a clock. . . a really slow clock. Now I ask: WILL they go up the many small river systems that dot our coast during the fall migration phase? for me this would be the rivers in Quincy, ma; Fore river, back river, the North River? I don't go far.

I know that they were in these river systems and estuaries the whole summer, but would a fish in full on migration go upstream in search of a meal during what we call the 'fall run'?

I don't imagine they would, and my experience has indicated they probably don't. That's very limited experience, and it's why I ask.

Furthermore, as the season winds down, I can picture bass peeling out of the river systems on the outgoing tides, but would this also be partly timed off of the moon phase?

Any piece of salt water real estate is worth fishing any time of year, BUT if your trying to catch bass do you think your effort and energy would be better spent out on the beaches and jetties than fishing the back estuaries during the fall run?

I appreciate your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Default Re: Up river bass during the fall run.

Duh! I should mention, all I do is surf / jetty cast. Never any boats.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

fish are in the systems all year long. most migrating fish,as they move south, will hit the river if herring/menhadden/sandeels etc are in there. sometimes they just move in and out just as you or i eat at or visit one familiar spot on the way home from vacation then say goodbye till next year. they were or still are in the hudson now as the bunker are or were up there. influx of big bunker here now and although i'm no genius, i am sure there were bass and bluefish just outside the river by the east river and arthur kill following them. i would venture roc would know when your neck of the woods is not worth a shot at them..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 02:29 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Zim covered it pretty well, unfortunately, the farther north you are, the shorter and less pronounced the run... for one thing, those fish that summer in Maine, tend to hang there, unless there is no food,Our fall run usually starts in late August... spring and fall runs are more directly related to amount of day light.. the same thing that makes the leaves turn colors and makes birds fly south ,makes bass go south... the moon just enhances feeding opportunities for them, those northern fish, tend to stay until the last possible minute and then ride the warm, bait filled waters over Jeffery's ledge, stellwageon bank and transverse along the outside of the cape, thus leaving everyone from Maine to Boston wondering where the hell are the fish... the fish we do see, are usually the summer residents Zim spoke of, that now have left their summer lairs and are heading south... rivers that empty close to shore ( Hampton,parker, Ipswich, Merrimack rivers etc.) all contribute to a small fall run, the years we have massive amounts of fish tend to be falls that have relentless line storms and hurricanes, thus pushing the warm water ( and bait) from outside inshore... those that do move into the rivers, once again as Zim said move in for one meal, usually for YOY shad and herring drops, they will move in one tide then move on, not always, but usualy... it happens alot this time of year, so if you dont fish EVERY TIDE every DAY.. YOU CAN MISS IT... In bye gone years, I have stuck it out until Thanks giving.... sometimes going 10 days with out a fish, then hit a pod for a few days then back to fishless... the last year i partook in this foolishness, I caught a codfish on a goo-goo eye.. I then knew it was time to hang it up.. since then I call Halloween the end of practical fishing on Plum Island ..
Old 08-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Quite so. How's things been for you guys? Tough knowing for me :(

Hopefully I'll get a chance to hit the canal a few days before thanksgiving. I should push even further south to get into some fish. I wonder if it would be worth taking a commuter boat to Nantucket for some late season fish from Nov 22 to Nov 24?

Or do you think those couple of days would be better spent in Montauk?

a) Canal
b) Nantucket
c) Montauk

Cheers