broken spinner - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Veteran Elite

Default broken spinner

I just messed up 5 plugs last night because the nut holding on the end of the eye bolt and spring came off about an hour after I went to bed. I went down this morning and saw four plugs stuck to the bench and the other one stuck to the floor. when I pried them off they were missing a little paint. I think I will have to make some changes to my set up and as far as those plugs go. bluefish bait. luckily I have 5 more ready to go so after a few hours fiddiling around fixing the problem I will try again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2007, 12:12 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: broken spinner

That sucks, but not a big deal...bass will eat them too!

either loc tite the nut, use a nylon self locking nut, use two nuts and lock them togehter or once the nut is in place, if you do not intend to move it again, take a punch and stake the threads....
Old 08-29-2007, 01:25 PM

We've all done it. I had a sticky one fall into a trash can right after I cleaned our chinchilla's cage - ever seen a furry plug ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2007, 03:34 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

sorry to hear that, but i have to laugh......yup..we have all been there...ive ruined a few plugs due to plain stupidity..never mind unexpected equipment failure...they should still catch fish if ya clean em up the best you can......look at it this way mike...your on the right path...the best learning is "the hard way"...
Old 09-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Veteran Elite

I did spike the threads. I also noticed that the rotissire changes directions each time you turn it off and on again.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:08 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by smulax View Post
I did spike the threads. I also noticed that the rotissire changes directions each time you turn it off and on again.
YUP, BECAUSE OF THAT YOU NEED TO DISSMANTLE THE MOTOR BOX AND DRILL A HOLE THROUGH THE COLLAR AND THE SHAFT ON THE MOTOR AND PUT A PIN THROUGH THEM, THATS HOW I CORRECTED THE PROBLEM, IF YOU GET STUCK WITH IT SEND THE MOTOR TO ME AND ILL DO IT FOR YOU SO YOU CAN SEE WHAT TO DO ON ADDITIONAL MOTORS.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Veteran Elite

It was not the motor that broke it was the other side with the spring on it. it is all fixed now. all i need is another rotisiree so i can do more than three plugs at a time.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:31 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Springs are a PITA, 1 motor, three driven shafts....

What I did instead of fighting with the springs was get 6 F&M plates ( from the local plumbing store) 4 8" lengths of 3/8 threaded rod, the rod threads through the inside plate,(which is bolted tight to the side of the spinner case) and then a second plate is threaded on each rod, once the plate gets close to the side of the spinner two screws are put into the plate, but NOT tightend fully, this is you tension adjustment, the threaded rod will be harder or eaiser to turn depending on how tight you ,make the screws on the plate, each rod is drilled and tapped 8-32 and an 8-32 eye bolt screwed in, these are loctighted and bottomed out in the shaft.. it will NOT unscrew once the loc tight sets,, to the eye bolt I attach a giant swivel, these are from a hand line(tuna) they are XXX strong and swivel freely, now for connectecting links, I use different lengths of jack chain,to adjust the tension, I back the treaded rod out until I have the EXACT tension I want on my plugs, I then tighten my external plate enough to make turning the adjustment rods difficult... over 300 plugs last year... no mishaps...
Old 09-13-2007, 09:51 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by smulax View Post
It was not the motor that broke it was the other side with the spring on it. it is all fixed now. all i need is another rotisiree so i can do more than three plugs at a time.
oh..i thought the collar pulled out on the motor side...i jamb two nuts toghether with a lock washer in between and loctite the threads and then bent the left over stud a bit..the nuts will never come out..

or you could build the dream spinner...takes notes of roc's design....someday ill make one like his...