Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Question about my beach, Wester LI Sound

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Frankiesurf 
#1 ·
I have a house on a beach on the western Long Island Sound. It is to the right of Asharoken and Crab Meadow. I used to catch a ton of bluefish at the end of summer which come right up to the shoreline but never any bass. I just recently got into fishing for stripers when I went out on a boat with my uncle and caught 6 35-45 inch stripers within 15 minutes. (Eastern part of the sound).

I was wondering if the beach in front of my house would be a productive surf casting area. There are very extreme tides, so at low tide the sandbar becomes completely exposed. At high tide the sandbar is not visible but as the tide comes up the waves crash over the sand bar. The beach itself is shaped like a crescent moon. To the far left, the beach juts out, and water flows out on the outgoing tide from a channel coming from a huge salt marsh. (Years ago I heard there was a massive clam/muscle bed) I see people fishing there frequently. To the far right, the point juts out a bit and the area is covered in rocks (not boulders or anything large). Many people fish that area as well because it provides a bit of structure. The middle part of the beach (in front of my house) is very sandy and has no real structure except for the sandbars. The area slopes down gently except for the drops before and after the sand bars (which are not significant at all, maybe 1-2 feet max) The area is very good for fluke fishing, but Sea Robbins control the area. The water can be very clear unless it gets a bit choppy out and the bottom gets stirred up. 2 miles down the beach there are these giant cement cylinders that go about 30 feet out. The water is very murky and dark in that area though because of clay deposits.

So my question is, do you think this beach sounds like it could be a productive striper fishing area? I have tried fishing at the rocky point with no luck using bunker chunks. I paddled out on a small zodiac and all I caught was a skate. I am thinking of possibly kayaking out and dropping bunker chunks attached to my line and seeing what happens. (I tried this method once, but the weather did not permit me to get out far) I just got a surf casting rod for Christmas so I am really excited to try it out. When fishing the rocky area, my bunker was attacked by crabs. I heard that if crabs are present the stripers probably wont be there. Is this true?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a house on a beach on the western Long Island Sound. It is to the right of Asharoken and Crab Meadow. I used to catch a ton of bluefish at the end of summer which come right up to the shoreline but never any bass. I just recently got into fishing for stripers when I went out on a boat with my uncle and caught 6 35-45 inch stripers within 15 minutes. (Eastern part of the sound).

I was wondering if the beach in front of my house would be a productive surf casting area. There are very extreme tides, so at low tide the sandbar becomes completely exposed. At high tide the sandbar is not visible but as the tide comes up the waves crash over the sand bar. The beach itself is shaped like a crescent moon. To the far left, the beach juts out, and water flows out on the outgoing tide from a channel coming from a huge salt marsh. (Years ago I heard there was a massive clam/muscle bed) I see people fishing there frequently. To the far right, the point juts out a bit and the area is covered in rocks (not boulders or anything large). Many people fish that area as well because it provides a bit of structure. The middle part of the beach (in front of my house) is very sandy and has no real structure except for the sandbars. The area slopes down gently except for the drops before and after the sand bars (which are not significant at all, maybe 1-2 feet max) The area is very good for fluke fishing, but Sea Robbins control the area. The water can be very clear unless it gets a bit choppy out and the bottom gets stirred up. 2 miles down the beach there are these giant cement cylinders that go about 30 feet out. The water is very murky and dark in that area though because of clay deposits.

So my question is, do you think this beach sounds like it could be a productive striper fishing area? I have tried fishing at the rocky point with no luck using bunker chunks. I paddled out on a small zodiac and all I caught was a skate. I am thinking of possibly kayaking out and dropping bunker chunks attached to my line and seeing what happens. (I tried this method once, but the weather did not permit me to get out far) I just got a surf casting rod for Christmas so I am really excited to try it out. When fishing the rocky area, my bunker was attacked by crabs. I heard that if crabs are present the stripers probably wont be there. Is this true?
The simple answer to your question is a resounding YES!!!!! The point that juts out by the channel of moving water is an ideal place for stripers lying in wait to ambush smaller baitfish, clams, crabs and other crustaceans. Casting out bunker chunks, herring or mackerel on/around that sandbar should produce fish as well for much of the same reason on both the incoming and outgoing tides. Any area that provides cover SHOULD be an ideal place to catch stripers. Find out what bait is mostly present in the area and then throw artificials that closely resemble them and ya should be hooked up in no time. I would also try live eels, ESPECIALLY on the right side of the beach with the rocky bottom. I'm not sure who told ya that myth "If the crabs are around the stripers will not be" but that is totally, 100% false. While it is not their main food source if I'm not mistaken a striper will eat a crab shell and all. I fish the flats up here in Old Orchard Beach and have caught many a fish on many a nights while crabs were present. I like to use sandworms as they produce well for me, especially early in the season. If you're having trouble keeping your bait on the hook because of the crabs, trying floating with a balloon or a bobber/float to keep your offering off bottom. The area in between these two spots near the sandbar should produce a fair number of schoolies cruising the flats chasing small schools of baitfish and other "easy meals" that come and go with the tides. I'd get out there and fish that beach for all it's worth man as you could be sitting on a striper goldmine. Just my .02 cents man though I'm sure others will weigh in witht heir opinions. Hope this hel[ped and good luck out there man.

StriperHyper ~ Will

#3 ·
Reading your description of the beach made me all warm and fuzzy inside. Sounds like Striper haven. Fish the beach on the overnight look for sweeping current during the day and target those areas. Another thing you can do is fish the breaking waves with a metal lip or some other type of swimmer. Try to land on the backside of the wave and slowly retrieve as the wave breaks.

Do you need any summer help on the property? :lff3:

#5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to definitely try to get out there more at night and the early am.

The big question becomes when will the stripers be moving through this area? My house is 15 minutes to the right of Huntington in Suffolk County. It is directly to the left of Smithtown Bay. Will the stripers be present all throughout the summer? Or will they just pass through when they make their journey out of the Hudson while leaving the sound to head south?

#6 ·
Walk to the west and fish the mouth of that marsh on the outgoing. You can go to the east and fish that rocky point by the parking lot. There is plenty of structure between you and the "tubes" to the east. Last few hours of the outgoing through the first two or so hours on the incoming. Depending on where the moon is you may get more or less productive time.
That sandbar you are talking about can be good when there are small baits around. Sandeels and anchovies mostly. If it is a moon tide you may get some fish up in the trough so focus on the cuts.

The tides are really not extreme. They average about 7'. Remember that the average current change at the tide is about 15 minutes. If I can recall without looking the tides are from Bridgeport +8 minutes.

The fishing was off in that area last year. If you are out there a lot you will recognize patterns. I fish the other side of the marsh more often than by you but it is not all that much difference.

Depending on when the striped ones start to descend from the Hudson you can find fish from mid-March through October with the summer months being mostly a night game. Although I have caught a few 18- 20 pounders off a hidden bar/dropoff on topwaters in the daytime in August so you never know.

I have been looking for a legal late night parking spot on that side for a while now :icon_thumright::whistle:

#7 ·
I have parked my car in that lot at night (didn't feel like walking down the beach in the dark lol) only to have a security guard come get me to move it.

Another time I was fishing that rocky point with my friends at around 2 or 3 am. We made a bonfire and were drinking and smoking... The only thing we attracted were the cops haha. No fish that night...

#11 ·
I am the cockroach you cannot exterminate. The one that gets into everything you own and are comfortable with and makes it kind of creepy to do anything, not knowing where I will pop up next.:icon_cool2:

Don't worry, I don't really do Allcoast Media. Not a big fan, just doing some research and ran across something here. This post stuck out because I used live about 2 miles as the crow flies from this guy and did a little bit:wink: of fishing there so I thought I would help out.

STILL looking for a legal parking spot over there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.