Advise on Boston Harbor - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-27-2005, 01:20 AM

Default Advise on Boston Harbor

I will be heading out from the Charles through the Locks this week or weekend and have not been out there for over 10 years...
Boating or SW fishing! :roll:

Any suggestions on where to go and what to use for bait, etc...

Not lookin for secrets, just maybe some places that might produse something for the first trip with a newtome boat ;)

Thanks!
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Boston Harbor

I fished Boston Harbor this past weekend and there is a ton of ground to cover and very tough not knowing the area, many from up north might say the same if they came down here to RI. I found the boat traffic to much and the structure very different from what I am use to. I think I'll be sticking to where I know pretty well and only venture north when I can hook up with some of the local experts here :)

Good luck and keep us posted
Old 06-27-2005, 12:41 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

OTR,

Boston boy,the Riddler or Pete Santini are more qualified than I to answer your question.... the area of Faun bar,the deer Isalnd rip and the rocks off of any of the isladns have all been good to me in the past..

Your best bet here is to watch for birds,striper blitzes are common in the outer harbor and the birds are the best fish finders....

Live hering,mackerel or pogies are great fish takeres...

The tube is a daytime killer when trolled along the ledges and channel edges.... there is alot more but I'll let the Boston fisherman handle it from here....

Cuz, ya shoulda drove another 45 minutes north,i would put ya on LOTS of fish! :shrug:
Old 06-28-2005, 02:57 AM

Thanks guys... looks like it won't be till next week now anyway.
Goin on a charter out of Plymouth this weekend and will be workin on the boat for the rest of this week, so...
Plenty of time for all you local guys (or girls) to chime in and feed my need ;) LOL!!!

Thanks!

Gary
Old 06-30-2005, 11:25 AM

I've been having trouble with the tremendous boat traffic on the weekends...makes fishing alot harder...theres alot of spots in the Harbor so hopefully I can find one that holds fish
Old 06-30-2005, 12:04 PM

Do you Boston guys have a channel you all monitor on VHF?

Maybe can hook up out there next week and see what's around.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:54 PM

I fish the harbor a lot but try to stay clear during the weekend or if I'm out I go out really early. There are lots of places that hold fish. Roc was right in saying that faun bar and little faun as well as the rip nearby are good spots. I have had luck fishing the ledges and rocky spots near the harbor islands. If you get there early sometimes there bustin the surface (look for the birds) and you can throw shad or surface lures. I have had good luck with the T&W during the day fishing slow and low. If the action gets real slow I will break out the chandelier rigs which always get fish!

Another area to try is around thieves ledge or Graves to the B buoy - chunking or live lining in the rocky areas around graves has been productive. Maks sure you check a chart before you go out as its easy to get hung up in the rocks.

Good Luck!

Relentless
Old 03-23-2008, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Advise on Boston Harbor

how do you fish the rocks/ledges/rips. where is the faun bar and how do you fish it?