Storm - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Banned

Default Storm

Anyone going out to fish the big surf this evening? I am fishing just haven't chosen where yet....there are thoughts in my head about a drive to Montauk or maybe the Tail....anything but the canal...Ive had enough canal this season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Storm

heading out on Wed til friday night or sat. morn. Montauk/ ditch plains and hither hills have been doing ok. hope a good blitz this week good luck
Old 10-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Striper Hunter

Not tonight for me. Good luck to you wherever you go

I did hit it Friday night/Saturday morning. Caught my personal best at 41"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 09:11 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Go get 'em while ya can. I wish I could be out there as well.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Banned

Yeah I didn't end up going, was helping my buddy Roland who is recovering from a motor cycle accident and can't walk still after 4 months. This is what happens when people driving cars don't pay attention....it was a good to give him a hand...
Old 10-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Shark Bait

I have a good friend, marine veteran, who is now paralyzed from the waist down from a motorcycle accident. He is 24 years old. It's absolutely terrible. Shame that its so dangerous to ride a bike. His advice is "If you dont like running, jumping, cumming, or being attractive to women, go buy a motorcycle."
Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Shark Bait

By the way, this is kind of a dumb kook question:

Are the fish more active before / during / after storms. I have noticed that when a storm is coming, the fish seem more active. Does it matter if its a high/low pressure front etc.

Seems like if the wind is offshore, the fish are scattered. Onshore wind I seem to do better from the shore.

Any advice for a beginner looking at weather patterns?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Striper Hunter

It varies by area. There are some areas that are better with an on shore wind and others off shore. Some areas better before a storm and some after. I am learning to find those areas and understand how they vary
Old 10-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Banned

Vary is the key part of the last post. As you fish more and more at the same spots and you notice the patterns and how to fish them you will realize that there is no constant. Sure some spots can be very predictable but even still there will be variations. The set of circumstances that really amplify Striper feeding go well beyond a storm coming. If you pay close attention to your spots you'll eventually realize what specific thing the storm is doing to change how your spot fishes for the better.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, there is no quick guide to this, there are generalizations but they are not the rule. You will only be able to learn the effects of weather and any other variable that makes bass feed by really putting in time and paying attention to whats really going on.

You have to not get stuck in certain frames of mind like, oh I always catch them at this spot on this lure during a storm. I've seen guys do it at a couple different places, they come, through there old stand by, nothing happens and they leave. They get stuck thinking that the fish only eat a certain thing at that spot at that time. Good for them....better for those who enjoy fishing enough to stay and try out different things. There will be times when the conditions are the same as they were on a day you logged great results and you look at the log and go to do everything the same only to find out that your well on your way to a skunking. To really improve your numbers fishing foul weather you have to be willing to stick it out and try different approaches. If you find one, don't be afraid to try something else so you can learn about what works and when, that will prevent you from only fishing one lure and then saying "oh the fish aren't here"....

Anyways I could ramble on and on about this forever...just get out there and fish.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Seems like if the wind is offshore, the fish are scattered. Onshore wind I seem to do better from the shore
Any advice for a beginner looking at weather patterns? .
Surfcasting
Definately on the right track. Keep logs - Drop in pressure can trigger the feed.
Wind blowing onshore - white water - get out and fish it if you can.
Keep it simple - and be careful.
Tins and bucktails for cutting through the wind and heavier surf.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Official Member

I am on the north shore of LI....went out predawn on outgoing tide with stiff onshore nw wind after big storm last pm. Fished 2 hours with 8 inch bombers on inside of JEtty and got zippo. Went yesTerday w slack Low tide and samE bomber w SE offshore wind and got 30" Bass. Makes no sense logically speaking...just need to fish eVery sCenario u can.....
Old 10-25-2009, 11:05 AM

Immediately after a storm as it clears (brief storm) can be a bonanza as well.
Most often the weeds and dirty water make for nasty fishing. If you can get past the mudline you could be ok but for the most part wait at least 3 or 4 tides after a big blow.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Official Member

Definitely a lot of seaweed and reeds catching in the trebles this am after the storm....will try same scenario tomorrow am in same spot...still looking for my slob 50 pounder this season....bomber seems to be working great so far...prob water needs to be clearer like u said
Old 10-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Immediately after a storm as it clears (brief storm) can be a bonanza as well.
Most often the weeds and dirty water make for nasty fishing. If you can get past the mudline you could be ok but for the most part wait at least 3 or 4 tides after a big blow.
Basssanza for sure one of my favorite times to fish the more crowded locations that tend to fill up when a storm is on the way. Clean water is certainly key, and also the speed of the storm system on its exit is important, if there is a fast moving cold front behind that storm with stiff winds thereafter the fish won't hold as long as they would otherwise from what I've noticed in my log.