Good guide - Stripers247.com Forums
 
Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-07-2018, 11:23 AM
grampy06 grampy06 is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 103
Default Good guide

I fish out of a boat between hh Park and the dam.i would like to try fishing suspended with bloods,does anyone know a good guide in Marlboro or Newburgh or wherever it is they do that.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-09-2018, 04:21 PM
FyshhTrap's Avatar
FyshhTrap FyshhTrap is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: schenectady,n.y.
Posts: 326
Default Re: Good guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampy06 View Post
I fish out of a boat between hh Park and the dam.i would like to try fishing suspended with bloods,does anyone know a good guide in Marlboro or Newburgh or wherever it is they do that.
Thanks
You need to talk to @Doc Z
__________________
Its almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is fishing.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-11-2018, 11:49 AM
Queequeg Queequeg is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: S Dutchees
Posts: 33
Default Re: Good guide

Doc is the right guy for sure.

My advice, locate suspended fish with your finder. Don't be afraid to move around if there's been no action. Being down by the island, up by the bridge, or somewhere in the middle can make all the difference. Same for East or West side. My experience has been prior to spawn they are on the east side in 30' range. After spawn they are closer to the channel / west side.

Drift bloods at 10-20 feet. I tend to ball up the worm on the hook and leave a tail Vs letting the whole worm hang.

Then put in your time.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-11-2018, 01:02 PM
grampy06 grampy06 is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 103
Default Re: Good guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queequeg View Post
Doc is the right guy for sure.

My advice, locate suspended fish with your finder. Don't be afraid to move around if there's been no action. Being down by the island, up by the bridge, or somewhere in the middle can make all the difference. Same for East or West side. My experience has been prior to spawn they are on the east side in 30' range. After spawn they are closer to the channel / west side.

Drift bloods at 10-20 feet. I tend to ball up the worm on the hook and leave a tail Vs letting the whole worm hang.

Then put in your time.
Where?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-11-2018, 01:26 PM
FyshhTrap's Avatar
FyshhTrap FyshhTrap is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: schenectady,n.y.
Posts: 326
Default Re: Good guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampy06 View Post
Where?
You really just have to wait and watch the reports as they come from further South. Look up some of Doc Z's reports from last late April to early May and see about where he was and definetly PM him. He's a Great guy and would certainly steer you in the right direction. .
I'm a shore fisherman , Wayy up river, I watch the boating reports all the time , tells me where they are and when they are coming up.
__________________
Its almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is fishing.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-12-2018, 01:48 PM
yankeessdj yankeessdj is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: newburgh,ny
Posts: 2
Default Re: Good guide

check out the River Basin site for reports,always informative
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Queequeg Queequeg is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: S Dutchees
Posts: 33
Default Re: Good guide

Anywhere in the Newburgh bay between Bannerman Island and the Newburgh Beacon bridge. You can also go down to Cold Spring or up around Wappinger Creek. But the bay is where most of the boats are. Head out after mid April all through May and you'll have no problem finding places to fish. Boats are everywhere and most people are more than happy to share information. There is a nice ramp in Newburgh just south of the bridge, I think it's about $15 and will put you right in the heart of the action.

I usually get my bloods at vinnys lakehouse in Wappingers. His prices are good and the worms are typically large. But if you're coming down the west side of the river it's probably out of your way.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-12-2018, 05:08 PM
grampy06 grampy06 is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 103
Default Re: Good guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queequeg View Post
Anywhere in the Newburgh bay between Bannerman Island and the Newburgh Beacon bridge. You can also go down to Cold Spring or up around Wappinger Creek. But the bay is where most of the boats are. Head out after mid April all through May and you'll have no problem finding places to fish. Boats are everywhere and most people are more than happy to share information. There is a nice ramp in Newburgh just south of the bridge, I think it's about $15 and will put you right in the heart of the action.

I usually get my bloods at vinnys lakehouse in Wappingers. His prices are good and the worms are typically large. But if you're coming down the west side of the river it's probably out of your way.
Coming from Saratoga,thanks for info!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-12-2018, 05:28 PM
Queequeg Queequeg is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: S Dutchees
Posts: 33
Default Re: Good guide

Then you'll come down the thruway to 84 East and get off before you cross the Newburgh bridge. Google for the directions to the ramp. It's only 5min off 84. Get bait somewhere on the way.

I would also try to plan a day with less wind. The bay is wide open and the wind can be painful. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-12-2018, 06:18 PM
grampy06 grampy06 is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 103
Default Re: Good guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queequeg View Post
Then you'll come down the thruway to 84 East and get off before you cross the Newburgh bridge. Google for the directions to the ramp. It's only 5min off 84. Get bait somewhere on the way.

I would also try to plan a day with less wind. The bay is wide open and the wind can be painful. Good luck!
Tu
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-13-2018, 11:00 PM
Doc Z's Avatar
Doc Z Doc Z is offline
Senior Member Elite
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Greenbush
Posts: 1,080
Default Re: Good guide

Bloods are the best bait south of the Poughkeepsie bridge.....i use a fishfinder rig with a 3' leader and run a 1-3oz sinker at 18-20 feet...give or take a foot or 2 depending on where the schools are running. Anytime you wanna come down let me know ..... you can follow me around or jump on my boat....I dock in Marlboro.
__________________
2020 = 1986/46"/45"-51.15 lbs.
2019 = 1786/53"(Hudson1278/45")
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 AM
grampy06 grampy06 is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 103
Default Re: Good guide

Where do you get bait?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-15-2018, 11:05 AM
Doc Z's Avatar
Doc Z Doc Z is offline
Senior Member Elite
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Greenbush
Posts: 1,080
Default Re: Good guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampy06 View Post
Where do you get bait?
I usually order 3-4 Flats/wk from Ceeley's in New Windsor.
__________________
2020 = 1986/46"/45"-51.15 lbs.
2019 = 1786/53"(Hudson1278/45")
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
good, guide

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Member intro and a question: how to find a good fishing guide? RollCaster New Member Introductions 2 04-14-2013 02:35 PM
Canyon Lake (TX) Guide Reports Files Texas Stripers 10 12-14-2006 07:04 PM
Last year's Md. spring season fishing was maybe too good Striperjim DelMarVA 0 03-05-2006 02:19 PM
Canyon Lake & the Highland Chain of Lakes Guide Report Files Texas Stripers 2 12-30-2005 03:19 AM
WINTER FISHING IS GOOD!!!! captainbutch Striper Guides & Charters 0 12-11-2005 03:58 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2013 Stripers247.com LLC
Affiliated Sites:   Noreast.com   Allcoast.com    2coolfishing.com