Good guide - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-07-2018, 11:23 AM
First Mate

Default Good guide

I fish out of a boat between hh Park and the dam.i would like to try fishing suspended with bloods,does anyone know a good guide in Marlboro or Newburgh or wherever it is they do that.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2018, 04:21 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Good guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampy06 View Post
I fish out of a boat between hh Park and the dam.i would like to try fishing suspended with bloods,does anyone know a good guide in Marlboro or Newburgh or wherever it is they do that.
Thanks
You need to talk to @Doc Z
Old 03-11-2018, 11:49 AM
Striper Hunter

Doc is the right guy for sure.

My advice, locate suspended fish with your finder. Don't be afraid to move around if there's been no action. Being down by the island, up by the bridge, or somewhere in the middle can make all the difference. Same for East or West side. My experience has been prior to spawn they are on the east side in 30' range. After spawn they are closer to the channel / west side.

Drift bloods at 10-20 feet. I tend to ball up the worm on the hook and leave a tail Vs letting the whole worm hang.

Then put in your time.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:02 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queequeg View Post
Doc is the right guy for sure.

My advice, locate suspended fish with your finder. Don't be afraid to move around if there's been no action. Being down by the island, up by the bridge, or somewhere in the middle can make all the difference. Same for East or West side. My experience has been prior to spawn they are on the east side in 30' range. After spawn they are closer to the channel / west side.

Drift bloods at 10-20 feet. I tend to ball up the worm on the hook and leave a tail Vs letting the whole worm hang.

Then put in your time.
Where?
Old 03-11-2018, 01:26 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Where?
You really just have to wait and watch the reports as they come from further South. Look up some of Doc Z's reports from last late April to early May and see about where he was and definetly PM him. He's a Great guy and would certainly steer you in the right direction. .
I'm a shore fisherman , Wayy up river, I watch the boating reports all the time , tells me where they are and when they are coming up.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:48 PM
Official Member

check out the River Basin site for reports,always informative
Old 03-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Striper Hunter

Anywhere in the Newburgh bay between Bannerman Island and the Newburgh Beacon bridge. You can also go down to Cold Spring or up around Wappinger Creek. But the bay is where most of the boats are. Head out after mid April all through May and you'll have no problem finding places to fish. Boats are everywhere and most people are more than happy to share information. There is a nice ramp in Newburgh just south of the bridge, I think it's about $15 and will put you right in the heart of the action.

I usually get my bloods at vinnys lakehouse in Wappingers. His prices are good and the worms are typically large. But if you're coming down the west side of the river it's probably out of your way.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:08 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Anywhere in the Newburgh bay between Bannerman Island and the Newburgh Beacon bridge. You can also go down to Cold Spring or up around Wappinger Creek. But the bay is where most of the boats are. Head out after mid April all through May and you'll have no problem finding places to fish. Boats are everywhere and most people are more than happy to share information. There is a nice ramp in Newburgh just south of the bridge, I think it's about $15 and will put you right in the heart of the action.

I usually get my bloods at vinnys lakehouse in Wappingers. His prices are good and the worms are typically large. But if you're coming down the west side of the river it's probably out of your way.
Coming from Saratoga,thanks for info!
Old 03-12-2018, 05:28 PM
Striper Hunter

Then you'll come down the thruway to 84 East and get off before you cross the Newburgh bridge. Google for the directions to the ramp. It's only 5min off 84. Get bait somewhere on the way.

I would also try to plan a day with less wind. The bay is wide open and the wind can be painful. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2018, 06:18 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Then you'll come down the thruway to 84 East and get off before you cross the Newburgh bridge. Google for the directions to the ramp. It's only 5min off 84. Get bait somewhere on the way.

I would also try to plan a day with less wind. The bay is wide open and the wind can be painful. Good luck!
Tu
Old 03-13-2018, 11:00 PM
Senior Member Elite

Bloods are the best bait south of the Poughkeepsie bridge.....i use a fishfinder rig with a 3' leader and run a 1-3oz sinker at 18-20 feet...give or take a foot or 2 depending on where the schools are running. Anytime you wanna come down let me know ..... you can follow me around or jump on my boat....I dock in Marlboro.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 AM
First Mate

Where do you get bait?
Old 03-15-2018, 11:05 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Where do you get bait?
I usually order 3-4 Flats/wk from Ceeley's in New Windsor.