Starting to pick up again..... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Young salt

Default Starting to pick up again.....

Finally after some very tough fishing as of late, things are picking up in the Southern Maine area. Fished 3 hours last night and another 3 1/2 this a.m. with 3 fish accounted for...one of which will be meeting my grill in a couple hours. Nothing of size unfortunately, 19.5 " last night, 17 and a 20" incher this a.m. all caught on sandworms. Heading back out tonight and tomorrow morning as the changing of the tide as well as the first couple hours of outgoing have been productive. Here's hoping to cap off the weekend with something of a little more substance!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Starting to pick up again.....

wow, you know things are brutal when a three micro-fish report (on worms, no less) qualifies as "starting to pick up again."
Old 07-13-2008, 01:03 AM
Striper Hunter

i don't wanna talk about this year.

i'm at least 150 fish short on my logs for july 4th.

This year i have just a few over 30".

guess i gotta go drop my eel pots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2008, 02:57 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHbassboy View Post
wow, you know things are brutal when a three micro-fish report (on worms, no less) qualifies as "starting to pick up again."
Microfish? If they were fresh water bass they would be monsters! Of course, since they are stripers, I'm not sure how he even knew that they were on the line........

We caught 4 fish today. All flounders.
WTF?
Old 07-13-2008, 12:55 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

It sounds like slim pickin's for you down Maine way. That's too bad.
Where I go in RI, hasn't been a big BLAST, but there are decent fish around.
Any pods of bait? That's the key, find your sizeable bait, and you'll find bigger bass, that if there is any. Bait that is.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:15 PM

While I was up that way, I noticed something.
If you fish for small fish you catch small fish.
Most folks are targeting the small slot fish, and keeping themselves out of the trophy class.
If you go big, not only do you still catch the smaller fish, you increase your odds drastically for large fish. I have caught Stripers on plugs that were as large as the fish that tried to eat them. Stop fishing for small fish and think big. I watched large fish in one area I was perched, mixed with the smaller ones. If I had checked the place out sooner in the weekend, I would not have left that hole, and can guarentee you that some very respectable Bass would have been brought to bear.
Learn how to properly fish Eels, there is tons of knowledge right here on the site, when you apply it, and get Bass while using the knowledge, you will increase your numbers and size. This is the time of year to become a vampire, Large fish are light sensitive, and will move into the feeding areas under the cover of darkness. Learn to use large metal lipped shallow diving swimmers. Slow your retrieves down to the speed that just imparts action on the plug and keep it steady and slow. easy meals are what is on the menu.
Stripers are a life long passion and frustration. To this day, when I think I have it all figured out, I get a Kofax pitch that leaves me standing at the plate wondering where the ball went. Some days I slam, others I get the skunk. Go fishing, you'll get fish.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Young salt

Let me try to answer a couple of the responses to my post diplomatically if I may. First of all, I have NO IDEA what "three micro-fish.....on worms never the less" is supposed to mean??? Without sounding brash, I'll admit I'm far from an expert fisherman, I'm also quite far from a novice. I don't necessarily 'target' big fish every time I go out due to a range of variables including distance from my house, the amount of time I have to fish on a particular day and moreso than anything, accessability to certain sweet spots. I live in Old Orchard Beach, the summers are crazy up here and places that I'd normally go to in search of the cows like Biddeford Pool, Saco River, Spurwink River and Camp Ellis get overcrowded both day and night. I fish MY spot from the surf, around the corner from my house for many of these reasons, not because I'm trying NOT to catch a big fish. My buddy has taken plenty of big fish from that beach including plenty over 30", a few over 40", a slew of blues of various sizes not to mention a 250 lb tuna that got lost in the surf as he was trying to make that last push to bring him ashore.........and ALL were caught on either sandworms or clams. I'm a striper fisherman through and through, you can believe that. I've spent many a nights in gusty winds, dense fog, cold temps with waves crashing against/over my waders. I understand that by the standards of this forum or maybe this site in general, these were by no means monsters, but I don't think micro-fish would do them justice either. To suggest that you weren't "sure how he even knew that they were on the line" is just ridiculous, have you ever caught a striper before? Even the smaller ones fight like hell, my fishing buddy who's been anglin for 40+ years swore up and down that I had a monster on the end of my line....turned out not to be the case. Things have been super slow up in north country this season, anyone from Wells to Waldoboro will tell ya the same unless they're stretching the truth a bit. I just like fishing, period, end of story. Would I be dissapointed to catch a 40+ incher, no, of course not.....but at the same time I am content catching fish in the 18-26" inch range all season long, all the while having the possibility of something bigger coming along!!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 02:53 PM
retired pirate

things have been tough. i've probably caught about 40 fish in casco bay from shore this spring / summer which doesn't sound shabby at first glance. but i am a fishing vampire and fish the right spots, at the right tides, using the right equipment and very rarely miss a night. that being said 40 fish mostly under 30 inches isn't a lot. now that the bait isn't so thick that you can walk on it things are slowly improving and i have been fortunate enough to land a couple big fish. i'm still learning myself, but my patience and the sheer number of hours i have spent aggressively hunting bass in the prime locations is starting to pay off. it is definitely not like shooting fish in a barrel, and i don't really mind that. it's more rewarding when i do actually get into the fish because i feel i have worked for and earned them.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Lunker

Lets not fight boys!VT
Old 07-22-2008, 10:12 PM

The funny thing was i just read a report by an outdoors writer that said the Penobscot. (sp) worst ever.
I dont pay attention to those reports after all its just one guys log and he figures it to be a down cycle.
Thats why its called fishing.

Bangor news