Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2019 STRIPER REPORTs

121K views 229 replies 42 participants last post by  Doc Z 
#1 ·
** SHOW EM' IF YA GOT EM' **

Post any 2019 Striper Reports and photos here. Hope to see a bunch of HAWGS.
Feel free to include county or general area, No need to give up specific spots or honey holes.

Please try and limit it to just reports & congrats.

Thanks and good luck all !

#185 ·
The good bite continues. (5/31) We ended up with 57 today drifting from IBM to the Rock plant. We got out at 5am and the bite was best early from the end of ebb into slack but continued through flood. There were steady lines of fish running in the channel. Most fish were 25-28" but we got several over 30 up to 35". The morning fog was pea soup but blocking the sun helped the bite. Water temps went up to 68 degrees.

The pm bite has not been nearly as good as the first light am bite so get out early. Lots of big fish moving south.

#192 ·
Today was a tough day compared to the last few. We got out at 5:30 am and all the fish were gone.....it was a desert from Poughkeepsie to the Newburgh Bridge. We went back north and driftef the west side where we knew they would be and pods kept showing up starting around noon on the flood tide. The hit very aggressively too. We only ended ip with 10 bc we had to go in early for gas and a few other things...when we got back out they were scattered again and not feeding. My buddies wife took his boat out alone and she s,ammed a 40" unspawned female....while netting it a 32" male swam in with it. We buzzed over to help her revive them and both went back safely.....thus was her personal best.....and her husband hasnt gottn a 40 yet...LOL. Later during the day I heard from several of my buddies that Newburgh lit up and they had 50 fish days.....we tried to go there this evening for the flood tide but the wind against ebb made for 4-5' waves and it was unfishable......there were tons of fish there on the west side though.

There are still tons of fish to come down....from here on there will be a lot of slow no fish periods until these waves come in....they will feed but probably will not hang around...although it appears as if they may be circling and riding the tides up and down after what I saw today. We will be back out early in the am.

My buddy fished a tourney in Staten Island at the mouth of the Hudson today and there were not many fish....nor any big ones...this is a good sign that they are still in the river......we still saw spawning today too......Water temps went from 64 to 67 today.

#193 ·
Yesterday (6/2) turned out to be a good day. In the morning we drove from Newburgh to Poughkeepsie to find some fish as this time of year there is not a steady flow. We found some early just north of the NBB then ran up to Milton to find a few more on the West side of the channel...then back to Newburgh bay and fished just S of the NBB. There we picked up a few more. I had spoke to a buddy early that morning and Norrie point was on fire with bigger fish so I knew they would be coming south. In the evening I fished the West side again in Milton and drifted into Marlboro Bay. The stream of fish kept getting better and then...wham.....the big ones came down when we were in Marlboro Bay......we banged fish after fish over 35" all evening. It pays off the just drift a line where you know they will be coming to. We ended the day with 40 fish and most were over 30 inches and mostly males...these fish had a ton of fight in them and put my arms and gear to the test. There are still a lot more up North to come down but there are going to be slow periods. The way to do well this time of year is to keep drifting the areas they travel south in and they eventually will come. Clearly this run is delayed as normally on June 2nd I'm struggling to get one fish all day. The chance for a bigger one this time of year is good as they are more lazy and travel slower. Most of our larger males were skinny and post spawn...and their light brown hue as opposed to a nice silver sheen means they have been in the River quite a while. Unfortunately I didn't think the run would go on this long (it never does) so I scheduled work this week but I will be out next weekend. My buddies did very well at the dam with large fish so next weekend there is still a chance for a nice cow.......I will be out trying.

#194 ·
Here are some pics from the last few trips.

Attachments

#196 ·
Went out this morning from 4am to 9am and the fish are still here.....the morning flood into slack was best..ended up with 9....7 over 30 in up to 39in. The bite slowed during the ebb tide and died as the current picked up...it was flying at 2.8 mph. Water temps were 67. I fished in the channel from the Rock plant to Marlboro bay. When pods came by they were very aggressive and hungry.

#197 ·
Doc, whats your method at the very end of the season? driting worms? trolling?

I fished so hard this season my girlfriend wants me out. No biggie, selling the stuff I dont use now for a bigger boat.....

Also, wanted to see what you think about this method for trolling? 3 day swivel, 12" leader with 2,3, or 4 oz jig and bucktail or large grub and a 4ft leader with a shallow running jerkbait on the other. I have bullethead and the skinny profile deep jig molds too, the inlet style.

Jig might stay white with blue top, or try something bright like orange or chartuese.

#199 ·
We went back out Sat into Sunday and the fish are definitely thinning out. Sat we ended up with 6 and we got them just north of the NBB and in the channel just south of Bannerman's Island down toward West Point. Sat night we drifted Marlboro Bay and marked hoards of fish coming down but no bite. We also marked lots of schools of shad too. Sunday morning the Bay was a desert. We fished for a few hours before pulling the boat and doubled up on the hump in front of White's with a 13 and 18 inch Striper....and that concludes our season for the Hudson.

This was by far the best we have ever done...I did not think we could top last year's total of 760 but we destroyed it with 1272 Striper landed on our boat.....and bigger one's too this year. We got 2 fish that were 45". Now it's time to get ready for the big girls in the Salt.

#202 ·
Drove past the entrance to Norrie Point today. Even though I was out there on my little boat the 1st weekend in june, it feels like it was 6 months ago. Got 10 months to tie a few spare rigs.......

See you all on the channel next spring!

Again, many thanks to doc Z. Few masters share their thoughts and tricks....

#203 ·
Tight lines......Salt fishing for the Hudson Striper's Great Grandparents to start now.

Here is another tip that I tested this year and it worked. I noticed that my rigs with chartreuse beads hit way more.....so I tried chartreuse line because I noticed my buddy was hooking up like crazy next to me with chartreuse line (he had no idea he was onto something...he just liked the color and the price was right). Well....when I made up some rigs with chartreuse line..............it DEFINITELY got way more hits and hookups...almost 10 to 1. I tested this theory over and over and it clearly worked. Well....I just read an article on Striper sight.........Scientists actually took the time to study the rods/cones in their eyes and the conclusion was they can see much better in low light/dark AND the color they can see best is Chartreuse and Yellow/Green. Well...normally you would not think this to be good because they can see your line but fishing the Hudson is different......the water is so murky (1in to 6in visibility in general) that anything which attracts them toward the bait helps....clearly this does.

#207 ·
This past weekend we hit the Salt but Mother Nature is a bitch.....the weather was quite rough and kept us home Fri nite but Sat we launched and hit Block Island. The bass were there but so were the waves....felt like a washing machine so we headed in to take cover from the 40mph winds at Fisher's Island and fished there. We managed 2 Striper 23" and some fluke, seabass and dogfish.

Attachments

#208 ·
This past weekend was much better....we only slept for 2 hours the whole weekend but it was worth it...we searched...learned...found...caught and had fun. Friday nite was a bit rough...like being in a washing machine but you tend not to notice that when you are catching monster bass. We ended up with 21 for the weekend up to 47 inches.

Attachments

#212 ·
Great reports doc.

That was a good size blue. I like eating them better than striper if take you care to clean them and cook them right.

The fluke are great eating too.
Yes...that Blue was 15 lbs...but I absolutely detest them...their blood stains the deck and its almost impossible to get it out so I have a rule...no blue crosses the gunnels.....we gaff em....remove the hook...Bogo em for a weight....without ever bringing them on board....LOL.

#213 ·
We took a break from Striper fishing and hit the Tuna this past weekend.......and we scored. I had the opportunity to reel in a Tuna the same weight as me and it was a chore. I even got a nice White Marlin.

Attachments

#216 ·
A tough weekend but we managed to put 9 nice Striper in the boat despite everything that worked against us......Radar failure when we needed it most in the Fog....Bow light failure...Navigation light dimming...hitting the prop leaving the launch and bending it....an alarm on brand new motors (not sure what that was)....fresh water tank running out of water (hopefully we didn't fill it as opposed to a leak).......windshield wiper starting to crap out.......and most of out eels dying because we drowned them in the livewell (bass still like dead eels but not like live ones). Yes..the Fog that rolled in Thursday night was insane...wet with a visibility to about the front of the boat and everything got wet...might has well been raining the mist was so bad. The radar saved our ass then but then just died the next day. It was not safe to get back home so we stuck it out in areas we knew were safe away from all other boats....although still nerve racking to hear a boat motoring and not know where it is. Anyway...we managed to find some real nice bass up to 50 inches. We also crushed the Bluefish and Monster Seabass. The life in the water at night was incredible......thick schools of squid so we could them...Blues chasing the squid...schools of baby mackerel...flying fish mating.....sand eels....Dog fish.....a shark circling the boat checking us out...a tired bird landing on the boat and spending the night with us (cute little guy). Overall...a great experience but now I have work to do to get ready for next week.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.