Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2019 STRIPER REPORTs

121K views 229 replies 42 participants last post by  Doc Z 
#1 ·
** SHOW EM' IF YA GOT EM' **

Post any 2019 Striper Reports and photos here. Hope to see a bunch of HAWGS.
Feel free to include county or general area, No need to give up specific spots or honey holes.

Please try and limit it to just reports & congrats.

Thanks and good luck all !

#122 ·
Today (5/17) was another good day......we fished most of the day up at Rogers Point and did well and finished the day at Trap Rock which produced all 35+ inch fish. We ended up with 19 for the dat up to 37". Another personal best came for one of my friends. My buddy JJ who fished next to me ended the day with 80 fish.....I couldnt figure out how his rods kept going off when ours did not...we were so close I could hand him a cup of coffee. Well....then were discovered one of my friends brough dried banannas on board...WTF....over the side they went and our luck changed......but seriously she had been using and hand gel to clean her hands and she was baiting all the hooks....when we figured this out our luck changed but it was a bit late as the bite was dying. The best bite was slack into flood tide but it did persist someone into Ebb too for once. Most fish were still running north. The 35" males were serious fighters too. Just docked at 2am and will rest to be back at 5 am. The night bite was sketchy but we managed some cows until 9:30 when it died.....still marked HUGE fish from Trap Rock to IBM. Newburgh was loaded but the bite was still tough for the amount of fish....they were stacking on the bottom staging to spawn. I did not see any spawning activity around IBM or Marlboro which surprised me a bit. Water temps started at 55 and went up to 60 at Rogers. IBM was still 55-56 tonight. We still have a few weeks left as it does nit appear they are moving south in any numbers yet...the West banks where they usually travel out were empty all night.

#124 ·
Put in at Albany, got herring at the creek in Troy, went up to the dam, unfishable, nothing on the FF, back down to the creek, nothing, but a guy on shore did get one. Back down to Alb, many herring, no bass. Temp 53, clarity ok. It should be illegal to use blood worms in the Hudson, invasive species. Pretty soon they will be crawling up the side of your boat, biting you on the foot.

#125 ·
We had another good day with 24 fish many of which were over 35 inches. In the morning the schools in Hyde Park were off the hook on flood tide but quickly disappeared at slack into ebb. They reappeared at the Mid Hudson Bridge after spawning and were very aggressive eaters. This only lasted 20 minutes and they were gone. So we drifted down to the Canoe club where every fish caught was over 35 inches. Water Temps were 55-56. Reports from Newburgh were a tough bite. Back at it at 5am. I will eventually Post pics.

#126 ·
Fished last night from 5 to 9pm catskill area. Caught herring with little problems at mouth of creek.

Drifted powerlines to bridge in the channel. Most of the time I was in 40ft water. Scope was very quiet in dual beam DI mode. One or two time the live herring seemed nervous. One herring got his back half ripped off. Seemed to fast of a run off to be caught on something below. Chunked the last 45 minuted just souht of the bridge. No fish.

Heading out this morning to fish 2 or 3 hours. Then I'll head somewhere with the surf rods. Flipping a coin between hyde park area maybe on boat or heading north to albany bike path with bikes.

#127 ·
Fished around Selkirk for a while in the morning, herring were difficult to find. Pulled the boat and tried Albany to Troy for the afternoon. Herring were easy, marked a few fish but I think they were headed south. Temps were 55-56. Historically this is my best week. Not the case this year. How’s the migration? Any further push north or is this it for the Albany area.

#128 ·
Fished the Albany area this morning 6am-10am and absolutely crushed them. Landed 22 fish in four hours all on fresh chunk. I have never had a morning like that on the upper section of the river. The biggest of the morning went 39 inches and all released to live another day. Ongoing boat issues may sideline me for a few days but hopefully I'm not done yet.

#132 ·
Fished catskill again around 730-10pm. 4 lines of chunk in. I had maybe one run off, but no stripers. Picked up a a huge catfish for me atleast.

Lots of seasoned boats fishing a moving from spot to spot.

Do these fish keep moving up until their instinct says the spawn conditions are right. Or.. Do they want to spawn in a predetermined location. Last year they spawned here, next year the same area.

Was starring at that full moon hoping the season keep going some more................

#134 ·
Interesting what a difference in location and time can make. Fished Friday 5/17 9am-8pm, landed 4 but all had size with biggest being 42" and smallest was 33". Back out Sat 730am-1230pm and got zippo. Tried again for evening 530-8pm, still nothing. Back out Sun 5/19 1030am-3pm and continued to strike out. Was between New Hamburg and Poughkeepsie.

#135 ·
The spawn is in full swing as is the bite. We hit the water again Sat am (5/18) and stayed until Sun evening. There was widespread spawning from Hyde Park to Newburgh. Sat we fished South of Rogers Point and ended up with 48 fish from 7am to 3pm with the best bite being Ebb tide but they did aggressively feed on both tides. We spent the night on the water and fished from Marlboro to Poughkeepsie. There were very few fish and we did not get any. Around midnight was the first time for the season I saw some schools on the West bank which is probably the first arrivals who are spawned out and going back. Sunday we ran right up to Rogers and fished above to black creek. The bite was absolutely on fire. We got 66 fish from 7am to noon then the wind kicked up and shut the bite down. This was done from Slack into Flood tide. We did go to IBM and managed one nice fat 29 incher. The full moon has sparked the spawn and bite. After this year's info I'm not so convinced that these fish are temp dependent and may be more calendar oriented on where to spawn. Water temps started around 55 degrees and ended at 69 degrees.

Attachments

#137 ·
Thanks for the posts doc Z.

Fished the evening hours over the weekend. Seems quiet. I am docked at a striper season only section of a marina. All the boats have been parked. Not sure if these guys aren't fishing at all, or are elsewhere on shore.

Im guessing their progress has slowed this year due to all the rain.

Going to try to fish the shore Wednesday night, possibly Thursday too. Finding public shoreside access can be rough. Seems like worth a try though.

#138 ·
After getting a late start to the season for family reasons, I finally broke the 40" mark with a 42" / 31 lb fish just North of the rock plant in Marlboro Friday evening..always seem to catch my biggest ones when I am out alone.

Saturday out with the GF all afternoon till dark, beautiful day out there, largest was 32" / 13 lb, then Sunday out with old college friends. Caught a few, nothing large but a 29" male really did a job on my boat releasing his goods. Also saw a huge snapping turtle swimming around out there...very cool!

Attachments

#140 ·
I've been fishing Albany for about 2 weeks, 3 days per week, absolutely nothing. Chunk, Live, etc. I don't go very far but all the boats I passed were doing about the same as I was.

Saturday 5/18 things turned around.. using the same tackle and fishing same spots.. I slammed a couple early, had a few run/drops, and then got a nice 30'' on the ebb later in the day. All on live herring. I saw multiple boats doing about the same as I did.. but still some boats with nothing.

From my limited perspective the bite seems to have finally turned on up here. Going to take a few days off work this week to try and get a couple more before they head south.

I included a pic from my fish finder.. didnt see this everywhere but where I did I got some hits.. would you guys say these are stripers?

Attachments

#143 ·
We went out Saturday morning to Newburgh and had a great time while the fish were starting their spawning. Right off the bat we got a record (striper) for our boat at 22lbs. It was my Dad's first Hudson fish. We gave her the nickname "Boga Betty" after what happened at the release. Let's just say this, there is a reward of $124.99 of 316 stainless steel for finding her again! Hopefully she bumps that thing off soon or some fiesty males help her out. :icon_cry:

I also got a new personal record light tackle fish at 7lbs with a nice aggressive male landed on a bucktail and light Abu Garcia Vendetta rod.

We ended with 7 for the morning and the bite shut off hard about 10:30AM when the sun got up and the jet ski's started cranking. Shouldn't have started with the old sandworms instead of our fresh bloodworms. Once we switched up they started biting again.

We had 3 boxes of bloods left for Sunday but we had plans in the morning and it was hot, sunny and windy. If anyone wants them by Nyack area I'll give you a good discount! They are still on ice in a big cooler.

Attachments

#144 ·
The bite is on fire north of Poughkeepsie.....we fished 7am to 9pm today and smoked em........67 for the day up to 32". We probably could have hit 100 were it not for those crappy circle hooks......the fish were slamming the bait so fast the circle hooks were hooking them in the soft part of the outer lip....so we would fight a fish and the hook would pull out of the skin...well......when I realized what was going on I changed to 4-0 octopus hooks and we never missed a hookup or lost a fish afterwards. The schools up north of Poughkeepsie are insane. The bite was best in the morning from first light but continued steadily all day on both tides....then lit up again at dusk. The water temp went up to 60 and there was plenty of spawning. The channel floor and flats were littered with fat cows waiting to spawn and the males were the primary foraging fish in the strike zone which changed throughout the day......it started at 14' then went to 22-25 ft then back to 19'. Remember ......don't forget those fish on the channel floor are not feeding and rarely bite so look for what zone in the 15-25' range the fish are running and target them.......FYI......chartreuse leader is key right now......we tested this several times and our one pole with this hit 8 times with zilch on the standard mono and fluoro.....as we switched the others over it drastically imoroved the hit rate. Also, run a small spinner above the bait with chartreuse beads......makes a HUGE difference as does rattle sinkers. We are still on the boat and will leave dock before first light to clean up again. Please do not target the females lying on the floor in the flats...they are staging to spawn so let them do their thing and produce more striper for years to come. Also be carefull when motoring through the channel.....watch for the spawning boils and try not to run them over. Remember they spawn over deep water in the channel and NOT on the flats. Tight lines everyone.....this will be a longer than normal season.

Also, I think I figured why south of Poukeepsie to Newburgh has not lit up with the thick schools as they normally do.......4 million gallons of raw sewage was dumped in the river in Poughkeepsie which has caused these fish to NOT stop in these areas as they normally would.....they are travelling through....this explains why the areas North of Poighkeepsie have lit up so much.....hopefully this returns to normal next year.

#145 ·
Albany area was slow. Fish are still stratified and most are on the western side of the river. Water temp was60-61°. Only 2-3 other boats out. Drifted live and chunks in that 15-25’ zone...no takers. Anchored both shallow( hoping to find a few active feeders but only managed constant doubles of catfish on the chunks) and on the channel edge again, using live and chunks of varying sizes. Some people have done well up here this season and some have struck out completely. The silver lining is that I haven’t seen a single floating dead striper and the warming water temps should help the fertilized eggs. No dead strippers mean either the catch rate has been low or people are handling them better. Maybe both.

#146 ·
Albany area was slow. Fish are still stratified and most are on the western side of the river. Water temp was60-61°. Only 2-3 other boats out. Drifted live and chunks in that 15-25' zone...no takers. Anchored both shallow( hoping to find a few active feeders but only managed constant doubles of catfish on the chunks) and on the channel edge again, using live and chunks of varying sizes. Some people have done well up here this season and some have struck out completely. The silver lining is that I haven't seen a single floating dead striper and the warming water temps should help the fertilized eggs. No dead strippers mean either the catch rate has been low or people are handling them better. Maybe both.
Water conditions have been horrible all year. Even when it cleared up it was still flowing very high and fast.

Oh well ….. I'm going to go chase lakers and salmon on George

#148 ·
Today was another good day despite the wind..we fished Norrie Point and ended up with 68 for the day. The early am was nice and calm and the bite was on but then the wind picked up and created some issues with proper bait presentation. Afterna few hours the wind actually helped.....if counteracted the flood tide causing slack tide conditions where we slowly drifted across the channel....well....our stationary baits must have been quite appealing because the bite was on fire...we had doubles, triples and quads....what a chinese fire drill. The wind died out fornthe ebb tide and the bite continued until dark.....we had to quite to bring some buddies in. Toward the evening there were black screens all over and they were biting. It seemed like they wee staging to spawn and looking for the females hanging out in the mud. We will be back out at 5 am to take advantage of this bite. There were schools throughout the column traveling the edge of the channel....we could see them come up frequently to feed. We did find the big cous laying in shallow water but they had the prespawn lockjaw. Water temps were steady at 58.5 all day then hit 60 on the ebb tide.

#149 ·
Wow.....I didn't post last night because I was too tired from pulling in 96 Striper for the day......it was on fire up north around Norrie Point. The first am bite on ebb tide was best but it was fairly steady all day.....the nite significantly dropped off with drift speeds over 1 mph. The night bite on the same ebb tide also lit up....we got up to 96 and were hoping for 100 but as soon as the sun set the bite shut down. Leaving now to try for that 100. I am on my way to breaking last seasons total.

#151 ·
How is the fishing in Newburgh flats? Is it worth the motor up North Doc? I thought schools formed en masse in Newburgh at this time of the run? Trying to plan getting bait and where to go this weekend. Keep them lines tight!

#152 ·
Newburgh to Poughkeepsie has not had nearly the volume of fish residing there that it should for this time of year. 3w ago there was 4 million gallons of sewage dumped into the river and I am sure this pushed the fish that would have settled south more north. The area from Rogers point to Norrie point has been on fire. There are also a lot of fish even more north. These fish have to come south so the have to go through Poighkeepsie and Newburgh but i doubt there will be lights out fishing. I have been checking Milton to Poighkeepsie every day on my way north and it has been dead...so yes....go North for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.