Lake Cumberland Kentucky - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Kentucky
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 10-08-2004, 06:20 PM

Default Jake

Not knowing the place at all. Heres how I would approach it. First ask questions to the tackle shop guys. What their feeding on and the right depth that they are holding. Try and get a map of the lake (jigman said fishing hotspots has one) www.fishinghotspots.com and look for holes or drop offs near the shoreline. Fish early morning and early evening with cut bait or live shiners (or live suckers, herring or shad) near the shoreline.

Rig your reel with 20 pound test. Medium to heavy action rod. 3 foot 50 # mono or flourocarbon leader with a 3/0 to 6/0 hook tied to and an 80 or 100 # barrell swivel. preferably pre packaged and snelled. On the standing line Use a Plastic sinker slide (aka fishfinder) with an appropriate sinker clipped or tied on, Dead stick that pole in the rocks or the sand. Use another set up for plugging if you can. and top water it at those times.

Now daytime is different. The shoreline wont be very productive unless its an overcast day. If you can get a boat this is the time to get below the thermocline looking for a school.

Most striper fishermen dont even go out until the evening. The nighttime is the time to chunk bait on the bottom and to use the swim baits and deep divers.

All areas are different and the predictable thing about these fish is that they are unpredictable.

Getting skunked wouldnt stop me from trying. :roll:

I hope the jigman will give some better advice for you.

Good luck and tight lines and OH welcome to the board. :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2004, 08:26 PM

Sounds like you are staying close to Halcombs Landing. That is the ramp at the dam. Those points around that area can be good for smallmouth too. Cumberland has some real nice smallies. Current size limit is 18 inches. A number in the 5-6 pound range too.

I assume you have a boat. If not, you don't want to try striper fishing Cumberland (52,000 acres and well over 1000 miles of shoreline). Anyway, 20# line on a medium rod is fine. Just be sure to set your drag a little looser than you would for bass. A good striper will make your drag scream! Pick up the lake map and study it some. This time of year the stripers will be using the main river channel as their highway. I haven't been down for a while. If I was going at it blind, I would start at the mouth of Indian Creek and head up towards Beaver Creek, zig zagging over the old river channel. You can try your shiners behind planer boards, balloon rigs, or just downlines straight below the boat. Add a quality swivel to your line, then a 3-4 foot leader of 20# line, then your hook. Hooks size to match the bait size. This time of year, they are predominantly feeding on Alewifes, 5-7 inches long. They'll be over open water and stay over open water during the fight. Set your drag right and keep your cool and you'll get them it.

Cumberland is not an easy lake this time of year if you have not striper fished before. If you really want to get into some Stripers, I would recommend taking a guide on the first day. You'll learn a bunch plus have an idea where to try the rest of your trip. Gerald Bates (Bates guide service) would be my recommendation.

Jigman
Old 07-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Default LAKE CUMBERLAND

LAKE CUMBERLAND -- Largemouth remain good at night. Stripers good at 30-35 feet using planer boards and downrigging near mouths of large creeks. Recorded information and the Wolf Creek Dam generation schedule: (606) 678-8697.