Brinkmans Philadelphia and Eastern Pa. area Fishing report - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:03 AM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Default Re: Brinkmans Philadelphia and Eastern Pa. area Fishing report

Friday March 16, 2007

Brinkmans

TROUT SEASON IN THE LOWER COUNTIES OPENS MARCH 31st. UPPER COUNTIES WILL OPEN APRIL 14th. BLOODWORMS ARE IN STOCK NOW!!

Well we got our first batch of bloodworms in last week and plenty of guys were out this past week with bloodworms, herring, clams and shrimp only to pick up one decent catfish. We weighed this catfish at 9 pounds. But for stripers nothing yet in this area. I did hear of one 29 inch fish taken at Trenton last weekend on a live minnow, walleye fishing. And the rest of the stripers I have heard of are smaller fish taken below the Commodore Barry Bridge and in the Salem power plant.
Now beside the catfish they are getting some walleyes in the upper river. Yardley, New Hope, Point Pleasant and Frenchtown have been a few of the better places to head. Now the river level has been coming up and down with the rains we have been having, but when the level is down or normal fishing with jigs, twister tails or live minnow on the bottom is the best way to catch these fish. Now there is a chance of picking up a smallmouth or striper but until the water warms up a bit I would not be looking for too many of these fish. And I had a couple of guys go over to Dredge Harbor this past week and pick up a few yellow perch and crappies in the back corner. They were using live minnows and hair jigs fishing along the pilings by the sail boat club. Not allot of fish but the few they caught were good size. I think with a couple more warm days you may find a few bass staring to hit back in Dredge Harbor, Tullytown Cove or any other harbors along the river. Now down in Salem the white perch are starting to show up in real good numbers with some fish a pound to a pound and a half. Most of these fish are being caught on bloodworms. Paul just gave me a call from the lower river picking up a 11 pound catfish fishing the bottom with cut bait.
With Core Creek and Levittown Lake still closed the lake fishing has been off quite a bit. But a few guys were up to the shopping center lake and picked up a few crappies and perch on live minnows and nightcrawlers. Magnolia Lake had a few largemouth bass caught with the nice weather this past week on live minnows and shallow crankbaits. Bu the guys that was up here told me that all the fish he caught were under 10 inches. A couple of guys were up to the Neshaminy Creek to find a few catfish and perch hitting up around Hulmeville Falls. They were looking for crappies or bass but were happy catching anything with the cold water. I was golfing the other day and saw a few suckers in the Poquessing creek. I was thinking of fishing for them later in the day but never made it. This was on the other side of Grant Avenue but I would think there may be more fish down around State Road. And even down there you may see a few largemouth bass start to show up just below the bridge. Fairless Hills Lake several guys were up over the weekend but not one had anything good to say. Penn Warner though has been very good for perch, crappies, bass and pike for several weeks now. If you are a member up there it is one of the best times of the year to fish. One last place I heard of any fishing in was up in Yardley the small lake in the center of town. This customer was up to fish the river and had no luck so he stopped off here and threw a line in and picked up a few small perch and bluegills. He was using nightcrawlers.
If you are looking for safe ice for fishing you will have to travel up to the Pocono's north. I had a couple of guys go up to Scholla last weekend to find 7 inches of safe ice. They did very well on pickerel, perch and bluegills. Another couple of guys were up to Miller Pond to have a fantastic day ice fishing for pickerel, perch, crappies and bluegills. They had over 8 inches of ice and between four guys they caught over 50 fish between the different species. Baits were wax worms, minnows, shiners and small jigs. And with the weather we are going to have this weekend I think you may have good ice up there for another week or so. I know Karl was still skiing on Tuesday this past week and talking to a few of the guys up at our place in Wayne county there is still plenty of snow and ice on the ground. Another customer was just in saying Lake Harmony has over 15 inches of ice and so does all the smaller lakes in the area. He is heading up for pickerel, perch, crappies and bass with minnows.
Now south Jersey is still one of the best places to head this time of the year. All the rivers, streams and lakes are good for perch, crappies, pickerel and bass. The sand pits have been really good for yellow perch and pickerel. They have been using minnows, twister tails and spinners to catch pickerel up to 20 inches and perch up to 14 inches. Lake Lenape one customer was down on Tuesday and picked up 2 largemouth bass 2 to 3 pounds, 7 pickerel and 4 good size crappies. Union Lake is another really good place to head for crappies, perch and pickerel. The couple of guys that were down there is past week were doing very good on the panfish along the dam trolling 3 and 4 inch twister tail. Fishing the shore line caught them the most pickerel and looking for some largemouth bass only landed them more pickerel. Atison Lake off of 206 had a couple of guys down fishing along the over flow. These guys picked up several pickerel 12 to 15 inches on minnows and spinners. They went up and tried the lake but did not have any luck. And several guys have been fishing at Mays Landing in the Little Egg Harbor River. These guys have been catching pickerel and yellow perch off the bulk head and up by the dam. Minnows, shiners, grass shrimp, nightcrawlers and twister tail have been working the best.
Saltwater action is coming slow but sure. The sea bass fishing off shore has still been the best with most guys out on the 12 to 18 hour trips picking up their limits of 4 to 7 pound sea bass. And from time to time they catch a cod or pollock and sometimes ling. The inshore guys are saying there are a few smaller sea bass hitting the jetties but most are under sized. But starting last weekend the stripers in the back bays in inlets are being picked up in pretty good numbers and some decent fish to boot. Now don't get me wrong you can fish for several hours with little to no success but when the fish move in you can have allot of fun. One customer was down behind Sea Isle catching 9 fish for several guys with 2 being over 28 inches. All were caught on clams. Now several guys were down fishing the surf but I did not hear one fish being caught there. But if you want to fish the beach the best has been Reed's Beach up in the Delaware Bay. Several guys have been fishing here doing pretty good on stripers with clams and bloodworms. One guy picked up his two fish limit in a couple of hours on Monday. One fish 28 inches and the other 34 inches 17 pounds. And the last thing I have been hearing down the shore is up the Mullica river for white perch. The guys are fishing Collins Cove or just outside the cove in the river. Most of these fish have been on the smaller side though.
Well that is all I have for you this week. I hope the weather is not as bad as they are talking about but it is March and we all know what that brings. But if you do get out good luck and please any reports are better than no reports.
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Reports and Info Dude

Thursday March 29, 2007
Brinkmans bait and Tackle
Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.

TROUT SEASON IN THE LOWER COUNTIES OPENS MARCH 31st. UPPER COUNTIES WILL OPEN APRIL 14th. BLOODWORMS ARE IN STOCK NOW!!

This is going to be kind of short this week. Not that there is not much to report there is just to little time to sit and type. So I'm going to get right to the good stuff. Stripers are starting all up and down the river but they are coming slow but sure. The further down river you go the better and the bigger the fish seem to get. One report from Salem, this guy picked up two stripers 30 inches and 28 inches on bloodworms fishing for white perch. He also picked up 28 good size white perch. Paul fishing on Tuesday picked up three fish one 28 inches. He caught them on bloodworms. He was heading right back down again yesterday. Now up in this area Linden Avenue, Station Avenue, Princeton Avenue and the Frankford Arsenal they are still picking a fish up here and there. But the size has been 14 to 26 inches. Most have been picked up on bloodworms. With that said I think another good week of warm weather we should start seeing some bigger fish show up in the lower river and the medium size fish should make it up here. For the big fish up here I still think you will be looking mid April. Like usual the season will be closed.

Shad have started to show up in the power plant last weekend. Nothing in big numbers but they did pick up 4 to 6 fish that I know of. Most were picked up on darts or spoons. There was a few guys try to fish for shad at Yardley but nothing yet has been caught. The river was quite high and cold last weekend and during this week but another week or so they should turn on in the main river. As of now there have been no herring caught or seen in the river as of yet. But they are picking up plenty in Maryland and down in the Mullica River and Little Egg Harbor River. So that will be another week or so. There have been quite a few shad showing up in the lower Delaware Bay but so far I have not heard of any being netted in the upper bay as of yet.

Now to talk about the Delaware Bay it has been stripers mostly. Nothing to run right down to fish but if you are there at the right time with the right bait they are picking up a few nice fish. Fortasque this past week had several keeper size fish caught on fresh clams and bloodworms. And further down the bay at Reed's Beach there were several fish caught but not to many keeper size. Here again bloodworms and clams were the best. One customer was over to Slaughter Beach on the Delaware Side. This customer was out testing his boat and thought he would get a little fishing time in. Fishing with sassy shads and bucktails he caught 4 stripers all under 20 inches. He thought if he had some fresh bait he may have not allot better. Off shore the sea bass fishing was really good this past week with some great weather to get out for the over night trip. Several guys got out on the Jamaica and most caught their limits of 4 to 6 pound fish. Most were bait fishing with clams but several guys have found cut mackerel to work very well also. The nice thing with the mackerel is that it stays on the hook in the deep water much better. And the guys heading up to Massachusetts have still been doing very good on cod and porgies. The cod have been hitting big diamond jig and Viking jigs. The porgies have been hitting bait rigs with clams and other cut baits.

Trout were put into the Pennypack yesterday and from what everyone told me there was allot of fish and some really good size fish. Several palomino's were put in also. So we will have to wait till Saturday to see what the bigger and better trout look like that the state have been talking about for the past couple of months.

Last thing I have is from the perch fisherman in south jersey. A couple of guys were down to the pits Monday and Tuesday and caught fish but the numbers dropped off. The fish are still pretty good size but one couple only picked up 15 fish and the second group of guys caught 22 fish for 5 guys. Most were caught on either minnows or twister tails. And several guys fish at Mays Landing picking up perch and pickerel in the river and pickerel and bass in Lenape Lake. But here again the numbers were off. The guys that fish Union Lake did not get down this week with some family problems. They were talking about getting down on Saturday while all the guys are up here fishing for trout.

Good luck,

Bill
Old 04-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Reports and Info Dude

Friday April 13, 2007
Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.

Is everyone getting their ice auger back out for the second opening day of trout season. Can you believe this weather that we have had and the worse weather seems to be coming for this coming weekend. Just can't seem to get a break. And when it ever does break there will be to many things to fish for and so little to do the fishing.
But even in the bad weather we have been having the striper action on the river has gotten better this past week. More keeper size fish have been picked up all up and down the river. Station Avenue I know of 5 fish caught this week over 30 inches. The biggest was just picked up yesterday about 42 inches 25 to 30 pounds. The fish have been hitting a mix of baits but bloodworms and clams have been our best sellers with fresh herring the best if you are able to catch any. And with the cold weather coming back the herring have really gotten far and few between. Another good spot has been Camac Street up in Bensalem. Here they picked up 4 keeper size fish the biggest being a 22 pound 37 incher. Trenton to me is still a bit high to be looking for bigger stripers though they have caught a few fish up to 30 pounds in these waters. But the numbers are very low. Kevin was up to the power plant spending hours picking up 2 herring to head down river and fish chunk baits to pick up 9 fish on Wednesday up to 17 pounds. He was back up on Friday and was not able to catch any herring so he came in and bought some fresh clams and fished down around the Tacony bridge. Here he caught 11 fish 15 to 31 inches. He also had 4 catfish up to 5 pounds. Several other guys have been fishing here south to the airport and most are catching 5 to 10 fish a day with several being 25 to 30 inches. And down below the airport the fishing has been extremely good for numbers but allot of these fish have been on the smaller side. Paul called me today and said he has been catching plenty of smaller fish with allot of perch showing up. But a few other guys out in boats have been catching 40 to 60 fish a trip with a half a dozen or so 30 inches or better. The best catch was down by the C and D canal. This customer was out fishing with fresh clams, bloodworms and herring picking up 80 fish for 5 guys. But he did have 10 fish over 30 inches with the biggest being 43 inches about 35 pounds. Now this is going to really break open when the weather does get warmer. If that ever happens.
The next best thing has been the trout fishing. With the Pennypack being restocked on Wednesday a week ago and also going to be restocked tomorrow most of my reports have been coming from there. I even when over for an afternoon on Wednesday. Myself I picked up two decent trout one on a spinner and the other on a mealworm. But for hits I had to miss at least 20 or better fish on live minnows. The fish were grabbing the minnows and either biting them in half or just tearing the minnow to shreds but none found the hook. And I did use allot of spinners to have fish hit them hard but again none could find the hooks. Now John on Thursday picked up over 80 fish on every kind of bait. He even said that he ran out and was lucky to have someone leaving give him more so he could keep fishing. Another customer was over on Saturday and picked up 20 fish at Bustleton Avenue on wax worms and spinners. He had two 15 inch fish. Several other guys all were telling me that on Thursday, Friday and Saturday the fish were hitting in big numbers on pretty much anything you wanted to throw at them. As the week went on the fish got a bit harder to catch. The Wissahickon has been another really good spot to head for trout. This stream was restocked last week and most everyone that went over caught 10 to 20 fish each. Now they were saying on the second stocking they did put allot of 12 to 16 inch brown trout. Minnows seemed to pick up the bigger fish. Core Creek several guys were doing very well on trout in the upper end where the stream flows into the lake. A few of these guys were able to pick the 5 fish limits up in a couple of hours with a few crappies, perch and bass mixed in. They were doing their best on wax worms, power baits and mallows. Levittown Lake has been another really good spot to head for trout. Most everyone I talked to that fished here has been able to catch a limit of trout on pretty much everything you want to throw at them. Several guys have been fishing meal worms, wax worms, minnows, power baits, earthworms, spinners and kastmasters. Now again from word of mouth there are allot of good size trout stocked here. Most guys say the average has been 12 inches. The Delaware Canal is the last local place they have been catching trout. But most guys said allot of the fish are on the small side and it takes most of a good day to pick up a limit of fish. And the Jersey trout season opened last weekend to a real cold and rainy weekend. And from everyone I talked to they said the fishing was horrible. One customer was up to the Pequest and was able to pick up 9 fish but said all were just able legal size. He caught them all on earthworms. One customer was up to Round Valley and said after 5 hours of fishing he never had a bite.
Now for a few guys that were out in this section of river bass fishing they have found the harbors still holding allot of smaller largemouth bass, perch and crappies. The perch are slowly disappearing but the bass and crappies are picking up a bit each week. They have been fishing allot of live minnows, shiners and jigs but also have been getting bass on spinner baits, shallow crankbaits and pig and jigs. Dredge Harbor and Tully town cove have been the better two places to head but Salem Harbor and Warners Cove are also good places.
The upper river for shad has gotten al little better in the main river. One customer was up fishing Yardley and landed 6 shat and lost 5 more on Monday last week. In the power plant the shad fishing has been pretty good with a few herring mixed in here and there. But if you head up to the bridges looking for herring you are going to work really hard for a couple of fish. I know a few guys that have been fishing at the bridges and also at the marina only to catch a herring or two in several trips. But if you do get a herring and chunk it up on the bottom that will get you the best stripers. And up river before the heavy rain they were starting to pick some walleyes up but Wednesdays rain ended that again. And after the rain coming over this weekend the walleye fishing may be set back a couple of weeks.

Saltwater has been another thing effected by the weather. The winds that have not stopped blowing for almost a month now is keeping most of the off shore trips to a minimum. But when they do get off the sea bass fishing has still been very good for fish up to 7 pounds. They did pick up a few smaller cod and ling last week on 16 ounce diamond jigs. Now the rips have been really hot for smaller stripers on clams, chunk baits and jigs. But everyone has been telling me that most of the fish are 20 to 26 inches. But further up the bay there has been some good size fish taken out of Fortasque. And several guys fishing off of Reed's Beach say the fish have been moving in and out. But when they are in clams and bloodworms can get you a couple of keeper size fish. One customer was up off Long Beach Island on Sunday and fished for several hours with 5 other trucks and there was not a fished picked up. He was back down on Tuesday night to catch 3 stripers one 34 inch and the other two throw backs. He picked them up on clams. And further up in the Raitian Bay the stripers have been hitting in good numbers and some decent fish. Up guy was up the bay and picked up over 20 fish last week between 8 and 15 pounds. He was chumming with clams and fishing clams and shad bodies.
I hate to end it here but we have been very busy and I have to get back to the counter. Good luck and take plenty of warm clothes if you are heading up state for trout season. And do the same if you are heading out in this area also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Reports and Info Dude

Saturday April 21, 2007
Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.

Sorry that I'm a little late but with the weather there has not been that much to report and now that it has cleared up being short handed in the store it has been really hard to sit and type out the report. But lets hope that the weather will clear and we can get back to full staff in the store. But just seeing the long range report it looks like there may be another front moving in the middle of next week. Boy this has been the worse spring that I can remember in the 30 years that I have been working here.
Now with all the rain we did have the Pennypack creek came back real fast. I was by on Tuesday and the water was still muddy but the level was almost normal. On Wednesday the water cleared and most guys started catching plenty of fish. Thursday Anthony on Thursday picked up a nice 3 1/2 pound rainbow and another 13 fish in a couple of hours on the creek on wax worms, salted minnows and Berkley honey worms. Another customer was over the same day and picked up 11 decent trout just above the Blvd. He was using earthworms and meal worms. Now talking to several guys this morning Friday was another really good day on the creek with most guys picking up all the fish they wanted on minnows, salted minnows, earthworms, meal worms and wax worms. Spinners are another good way to pick up the trout on the creek. The Wissahickon has been another really good spot to head. This stream was high and muddy also the start of the week but the past couple of days it has cleared up and the fish have been hitting in good numbers. Minnows, meal worms, power baits and wax worms have been working the best. Core Creek form most reports has been almost unfishable. Everyone has told me the lake is really high and extremely muddy. So if you are heading to this lake I would be looking to fish the upper end where the creek feeds into the lake and you might run into some better water up there. Now Levittown Lake has stayed real good for trout and largemouth bass. This lake never really changes colors even know the level will come up a bit. But one customer was up on Wednesday and picked up 9 trout and one largemouth on minnows, power baits and nightcrawlers. He said that most everyone around him was catching fish all day. The Perkiomen has been another good stream to hit if you like to catch trout. With this creek you could pick up a smallmouth, rock bass or bluegill at any time. The few guys that were out here have been using allot of spinners, wax worms and minnows. They have said that most of the fish they have been catching have been on the small side. The Delaware Canal is another place to avoid this week. This meet up with the river in several spots and the level and color of this water is ugly. So I would avoid heading up here. The last place I have heard anything from has been French Creek. One customer has been out each day this week and had several nice pictures of trout. Monday he went out and headed right home. So he went back Tuesday afternoon and fished for a couple of hours and picked up 5 fish. Wednesday and Thursday he made days of it and caught 20 + fish each day. He had several rainbows 14 to 18 inches. He did his best on wax worms, salted minnows, live minnows and earthworms.
The next best thing has been the striper fishing in the river. Now I know the river is high and extremely muddy. Also it is full of debris but the fish are still hitting. Most of the bank fisherman have been using allot more lead ( 5 to 6 onuses ) and they do have to reel in allot more often to clean the lines but it is worth it for a decent striper. One customer picked up a 46 inch fish early in the week. The fish was caught on herring. There was another 34 inch fish picked up off Station Avenue and several other smaller fish with a good mix of catfish and even a few white perch. Paul over last weekend picked up 30 plus stripers with several keeper size fish. I think the biggest he had was close to 25 pounds. He was using clams. Another customer was down fishing the Commodore Barry Bridge on Saturday morning picking up 25 fish 4 over 30 inches. He caught most of his fish on bloodworms and clams. Now you would think we would have allot more striper reports but mother nature took care of that keeping most people in early in the week and now everyone thinks the river is so bad they are not heading out.
Now for shad and herring. Well I really should not have to tell you what that is like. But they are thinking of holding a tournament out of Yardley today but I really can't believe they will. But if they do I will find out later in the day how they did. Herring well nothing is happening for them unless there is a couple being snagged in the power plant. At the art museum, as soon as the water clears up a bit the shad and herring will be there in good numbers. Even in the high and muddy water they are still picking up a few fish most being snagged. Here there is a mix of American, gizzards, hickory shad and herring. Zero report on walleyes this past week.
The shore what can I say but weather again. The winds this past week keep all boats in. We could not even get fresh clams this week since not even the commercial boats going off shore. Now some guys fishing off the Longport bridge picked up some good size stripers. These guys fishing at night before the storm with plastics did very well. I know of several fish over 30 inches caught here. One customer fishing off the Ventnor pier picked up several big sharks, one bluefish and one small striper last Saturday. He was fishing with mullet and clams. Up off Long Beach Island some fisherman had a few good days with stripers fishing with clams. One report back with this guy catching 4 bass. He picked up 3 on clams and one on a Bomber plug. All were throw backs. He also seen many other smaller fish taken. The Delaware Bay reports have really been mixed. The bay is really off color with the Delaware and Susquehanna rivers flowing pure mud but some guys have done very well in this water. Off of Reed's beach they had a couple of good days on smaller stripers 20 to 26 inches with clams and chunk herring. And the same at the rips with allot of smaller fish around being picked up on bucktails, metal, clams, eels and chunk baits. Here the winds have to allow you to get out. And up the bay the fishing has been allot slower but one customer at 60 foot sleuth picked up 4 keeper fish on Saturday last week fishing with clams. The biggest he had was 30 pounds and the other three big fish were all in the 20 pound class. One last report from Money Island during this week. This customer was out and had very little success. He was out on Thursday and only picked up 5 smaller fish with bloodoworms but did catch allot of bigger white perch.
With all the trout and striper fishing the lake reports have not been coming in. My Union Lake customer have not been out in a couple of weeks with the bad weekends. The did head down this morning so I hope to hear something next week. A couple of guys are fishing lake Lenape in Mays Landing picking up several pickerel and largemouth bass with spinner baits, plastic worms and twister tails. They say most of the pickerel are 12 to 15 inches but the bass have been running 2 to 4 pounds. Hammond Lake a customer was down fishing on Saturday picking up a bunch of pickerel, bass, crappies and bluegills. All he fished with was twister tails and with that he caught this mix of fish. Nothing big but he said the action was pretty good most of the morning. But as the day went on and the cold front moved in the fishing dropped off. Noxamixion has been very good for the guys that fish this lake all the time. One customer was up early last week and had a great day on largemouth bass. He was up fishing under the 563 bridge with plastic lizards and worms. He caught over 20 bass up to 18 inches. He was back up on Saturday and did good picking up another 9 fish with the plastics and also spinner baits. The last trip was Wednesday this week. He did not do quite as good but still caught fish. Six hours of fishing landed him 4 largemouth and 2 pickerel. The biggest bass was 16 inches. I had one other customer that was up fishing off the dam and picked up one pickerel, one smallmouth and one largemouth bass. Both the largemouth and pickerel were smaller fish but the smallie was 18 inches about 4 pounds. He caught all these fish on minnows. Silver lake they have been catching a few bluegills but Magnolia has been pretty good for smaller largemouth bass. The shopping center lake has been picking up for crappies, perch and bass. Most of the guys are using nightcrawlers, minnows and smaller lures. Here they really don't catch much on the bigger side but it is close and very easy to get to. The lake at Fairless Hills one customer picked up a couple of largemouth bass using smaller bluegills for bait. He was up fishing on Wednesday and both fish he had were around 3 pounds.
Well again that is all I have for you. I hope to see a few more reports when I get online. They have been coming far and few this year. So guys if you do get out please let us know what you are doing. Good luck and enjoy this nice weekend. Don't know how long it is going to last.

Bill

We were finally able to get river herring back in stock in good supply. So for all the striper fisherman that don't want to pay the price for bloodworms we can help you out again.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:45 AM
Reports and Info Dude

Friday April 27, 2007
Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.

Lets start with trout this week. Everyone I talked to that has been over the Pennypack has been doing great. The baits have been earthworms and power baits right after the rain and now that the water has cleared up wax worms, meal worms, power baits, minnows, salted minnows and spinners have been working the best. Most everyone has been able to pick up a limit of fish in several hours of fishing but some of the better trout guys are picking up 20 + fish each day. Now myself I got over to the creek Wednesday afternoon and fished for about 3 hours with very little luck on trout. They were there and I did have a couple hooked up but nothing to take off the hook other than one bluegill, one rock bass, one sucker and a good size largemouth bass. I was up to the Blvd. and was fishing below the falls. Like I said though I could see plenty of trout it was just me that could not catch them. I need to stick to the river. A couple of guys have been down to the Wissahickon all doing quite well on trout also. These guys I know have been fishing the Henry Avenue area of the creek and again have caught plenty of fish on meal worms, earthworms, minnows, salted minnows and spinners. A couple of guys were back out to French Creek and had a couple of good days this past week. They said that minnows and earthworms were working the best early in the week and it only took an hour or so to catch your limit of fish 10 to 14 inches. Lots of guys have been having allot of luck up at Levittown Lake with it restocked last Saturday. The fish have been hitting pretty much all the trout baits but most guys said that power baits were working the best. Most of this last stocking were just normal size fish. Core Creek has not changed much. It has been restocked several times and only a few guys are catching a few trout. The better two places have been where the creek comes into the lake and also the turn just up from the ramp. These guys have said fishing a wax worm with a power nugget on a slip sinker rigs has worked the best for them. Now allot of the other guys that have not been doing real good on trout have been getting some largemouth bass, crappies and perch on minnows, nightcrawlers, spinners, spinner baits, twister tails and jigs. The last trout place that I heard anything from was up on the Neshaminy off 611. This customer was up on Monday fishing with meal worms, wax worms and spinners and caught 18 decent rainbow trout. He only fished a 100 yard section of creek and had action the whole time.

The shad in the Yardley and Trenton area has gotten much better this past week. Eric was fishing the main river below the power plant picking up over 20 fish on sabiki rigs. Now he was trying to catch herring but was only able to catch the shad. Most were bucks but he did have a couple of row fish over 4 pounds. Another customer was up fishing by the power plant in a boat on Tuesday catching 11 shad and 14 herring. All his fish were taken on shad spoons right in the fast water. Up at the bridges a few guys are fishing spoons for shad doing quite well. Some of these guys are picking up over 10 fish per boat in a good day of fishing. Karl was up the power plant late on Wednesday picking up 2 fish on spoons fishing the shore line. And lots of guys have been up fishing out of Yardley doing pretty good on shad. Now up here the fishing did not turn on till Wednesday with the river being to high. Now it is still up quite a bit but it has cleared enough that the shad started hitting again. Pat was up on Thursday catching 5 along the islands just below the wing dam. He had all bucks on spoons. Another customer was up on Wednesday fishing right next to the wing dam picking up 9 fish for 3 guys all on spoons. Now if you are looking for herring they seemed to start hitting the best late on Thursday. John was up on Wednesday catching about 20 herring around the marina. He took them up and fished for bass but was only able to pick up fish on bloodworms and chunked herring. A customer was up for herring yesterday and managed to catch 62 fish for a couple of guys. He was using sabiki rigs just outside the marina. So it looks like it may get better ever day. But lets see what the rain does to the river today.

Now the best fishing this week has been for the stripers in the river. Most everyone has caught or lost good fish this past week. Several good size fish were caught off Station Avenue, Camac Street, Princeton Avenue and down around the airport. And if you are out in boats the river is yours but around the Rancocass Creek, Tacony Bridge, Betsy Ross Bridge and the Commodore Barry Bridge have been some of the better places to head. John was back out in the lower river yesterday with fresh chunk herring and only caught a couple of smaller fish. Another customer was out yesterday picking up 15 smaller fish on bloodworms and 6 fish over 30 inches on chunk herring. His biggest was 36 inches. Paul fished down around Chester last weekend and caught plenty of fish but nothing of size. But the action was good on fresh clams. Lou was out yesterday and his first fish was 20 pounds picked up on a bloodworm. He also caught 4 other smaller fish and a bunch of catfish 3 to 6 pounds. Another customer was up to Camac Street on Thursday and only had one hit but he said it was a big fish stripping off 100 yards of line before breaking him off. He picked this fish up on fresh clam. The last customer that I talked to was out around the Commodore Barry on Tuesday with bloodworm, clams and herring picking up over 40 fish with 10 fish over 30 inches. Most of his fish came on the bloodworms but the biggest were caught on herring. Now I hope to have a personal report next week if my boat ever gets out of the shop. If not I may have to start bank fishing again.

The shore this past week was extremely good with the weather being on the fisherman's side. The Delaware Bay has been one of the hottest spots. Up the bay around Forasque the striper fishing on clams has been really good. Most everyone that I talked to is getting their limits of 20 to 30 pound fish with plenty of throw backs. One customer was fishing right off of Money Island catching 29 stripers. He had a six fish limit from 29 inches to the biggest 31 pounds. He caught all his fish on clams. Now I had another customer fishing off the shore line in the Forasque area catching 4 stripers 22, 24,31,35 inches. He again caught all his fish on clams. Further down the bay at Reed's Beach the fishing has been very good but here they seem to be catching allot of short fish. Not saying you can't catch a keeper but you have to weed through several fish to be able to keep one. One fisherman was down fishing Tuesday afternoon till midnight picking up 11 fish himself with 4 fish over 28 inches. He also seen another 20 ish fish caught with everyone catching at least one keeper. These fish were caught on clams, bloodworms and herring. Now out of Cape May the rips have been very good for stripers with allot of bigger fish starting to show up. I had several customer tell me that allot of 20 to 25 pound fish were taken on clams, bucktails, metal and shad bodies. And around the jetties at the gun mount and the ferry jetties there have been allot of weakfish caught on bucktails and fin-s fish. Some of these weakfish caught have been up to 8 pounds. There were some good size drumfish caught in the Delaware Bay this past week but everyone is waiting for the full moon next week for the bigger fish to show up. The one caught this week were on fresh clams Another report from the bridge between Cape may and Wildwood the weakfish showed up here a couple of night and the fisherman that were there picked up several fish 4 to 8 pounds. Again bucktails and fin-s fish have been working the best. Off shore several guys were out fishing some of the inshore wreaks for blackfish and sea bass. Most of the sea bass caught here were 1 to 3 pounds but a couple of these guys did have some 6 to 8 pound blackfish. Now with all this good weather this week I did not talk to one customer that went out on a over night trip for the big sea bass. I had one customer fish off on of the casino piers Monday night picking up 2 weakfish 1 sea bass. He was just fishing with squid.

Some other water around the area. The Art Museum has been really good for shad this past week. The fish have been picked up on spoons and darts. Here the darts work the best since you can cover a larger area with them. And there are also gizzard and hickory shad mixed in. Also a good supply of herring are starting to show up which means the stripers will be right behind them. I have only talked to one customer this past week that caught any stripers. He picked up several shad and then chunked them up down below the bridges and landed 4 stripers all good size fish. His biggest was a 31 inch with the smallest a 27 inch fish. But in a week or two the really big fish will be up here feeding on the shad and herring. Above the falls there have been a couple of guys doing pretty good on catfish and carp fishing the slack water with corn and chicken livers. They have caught a few carp over 20 pounds and most of the catfish have just been a pound or two. No one said anything about any walleye here this week. With the heavy rain a week ago Noxamixion has been releasing allot of water out of the spillway and some good size walleye are hitting below the dam. One customer was up a couple of different nights this past week and caught several 4 to 6 pound walleyes on minnows, nightcrawlers and twister jigs. He said the best action has been an hours or so after dark. Now up in the lake the only report I got was from a customer that was out on Tuesday fishing the upper end for largemouth bass. He was throwing spinner baits, senko worms and prop baits and picked up 11 largemouth bass from 12 to 15 inches. He also talked to another fisherman at the ramp that was doing very well on crappies fishing a trout magnet under a bobber along the docks and shore line. Hulmeville Falls turned on pretty good in the late part of the week. Early it was flooded but around Wednesday they started picking up some bass, catfish and carp. Joe was up fishing with worms and corn Thursday and managed to pick up 4 catfish and one 22 pound carp. He seen a couple of guys catching smaller largemouth bass on lures but did not see what they were using. The cats he had were all about 2 pounds. The Poquessing creek by State Road has allot of good size largemouth bass above and below the dam. Several guys have been up there fishing with nightcrawlers, minnows, plastic worms and spinners. A couple of these guys say they have picked up allot of fish 2 to 3 pounds but there are much bigger fish in the creek that just won't hit anything. But they keep trying!! Fairless Hills, Magnolia and Silver Lakes I did not hear a thing this past week. Now the Union Lakes guys were down over last weekend and they did very well again. Fishing right from the ramp they started trolling twister tails and picked up crappies, perch, largemouth bass and pickerel all day. They said not much for size but that action was good all day so they just keep fishing that way. The color was white and yellow. A couple of guys were down to Lake Lenape. These guys said some biggger bass are starting to move into the shallows. Fishing with lizards and worms they managed to picked up several 3 to 5 pounds fish with several pickerel biting them off. A customer that lives on Sickersville Lake said the pickerel have been hitting in great numbers the past couple of weeks. The problem on this lake is that the biggest fish he has caught is about 12 inches. He said most of the fish are the size of a pencil. He has been catching them on shiners. Stone Tavern has picked up for some bigger bass. This chain of lakes are all good but they seem to catch the bigger fish out of Stone Tavern. The have been fishing allot of spinner baits, plastic worms, minnows and jigs catching bass up to 4 pounds and pickerel up to 21 inches. The last place in Jersey that I heard anything from was Spruse Run. A couple of bass guys were up looking for spawning smallies. The did not get into any really big fish but fishing with Senko worms along the shore line boated them over 30 bass up to 3 pounds. They were a mix or smallies and largemouth.

Well I hope everyone gets out this weekend. The weather is looking pretty good I just hope this rain we are getting today does not damage the river to much. But again only time will tell. Good luck, and thanks for the reports this week. it is nice to get online have have 10 e-mails with some good information.

Bill
Old 05-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Reports and Info Dude

Friday May 18, 2007
Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.

A bit windy this week and only getting one day to fish but still another fantastic week. Tuesday I had family things to take care of but bright and early Wednesday I meet up with Paul and we were herring fishing by 6 in the morning. We had our limit plus 2 nice row shad in an hour or so and down river we came. We were in the water by 8 and fishing by 9 since it took quite a while to come up river with the 30 mile and hour winds that were blowing. We anchored up with the tide still going out and the wind blowing right up the river but to my amazement we started catching fish right away. In two hours before the tide changed we had 5 stripers 24 to 36 inches. Then the tide switched and I thought the river would lay down a bit but again I was wrong. It was nasty but an hour later the fish really started to hit. And by 3 in the afternoon we had boated 29 stripers and 20 catfish. The biggest stripers were two 39 inches both about 25 pounds. We had allot of fish 30 to 36 inches most 15 to 20 pounds. And the rest were fish down to 15 inches. In the catfish the first big fish was 8 pound white catfish and the biggest was a 13 pounds channel. Everyone of our fish were caught on chunk herring. What a great day out. Even Anthony picked up his first decent striper fishing the banks at Linden Avenue. Monday night he caught a nice fat 28 inch fish on chunk herring. Later in the week they picked up a couple more smaller fish and also some catfish mixed in. There were several boat up at Trenton and talking to Marty who was out on Tuesday above the bridges picked up 15 fish all under 28 inches. He caught them on chunk herring. Talking to another boat who was u on Tuesday picking up 5 decent fish on live herring up to 35 inches. On Monday John was up picking up 10 stripers up to 30 inches on chunk herring fishing above the railroad bridge. He was back up again on Tuesday but I did not hear how he did. When we left on Wednesday there was no room to anchor between the railroad bridge and the Route 1 bridge. That is how many boats were up that morning. Below us there was a boat who fished for 4 hours picking up 11 stripers up to 38 inches on chunk herring. They had allot of smaller fish and also a bunch of catfish. An when we were loading our boat I saw a 30 inch striper go over the wall at the Frankford Arsenal. This looked like a pretty fat fish but we were close to a hundred yards away. But most everyone I talked to this past week picked up plenty of stripers and catfish so if you are looking to get out this weekend I think the river is your best bet.

Saltwater action has really gotten better each week but with the north east storm coming in I don't know how good it will be this weekend. Pretty much the hole coastline and bays are full of bluefish 2 to 8 pounds. From the Delaware Bay where Paul was on Monday picking up all the 5 to 8 pound fish on chunk herring to the coast at Barnagate, Brielle, Long Beach Island, Island State Park into the Raitian Bay everyone is getting bluefish on chunk herring, mullet, mackerel, bucktails, shad bodies, spoons and diamond jigs. And even off shore several boats were out on bluefish chum trips picking up lots of good size bluefish. One customer was out on Saturday with a party of 5 and they came back with a limit of fish 5 to 10 pounds. They caught most of the fish on chunk bait and also diamond jigs with green tubes. Now in the bay Paul also caught several stripers and had 2 keeper size fish on the chunk herring. He was fishing up from Reed's Beach. And several reports from Reed's beach of striper but most of the fish are 20 to 25 inches. Most guys fishing the Delaware Bay are out looking for Drumfish but so far there has been no real good reports. Now they are starting to catch a few more fish but most have been 20 to 30 pounds. They had a drumfish tournament last weekend and the winner was 23 pounds. Where did the 70 to 100 pound fish disappear too. At the 50 cent bridge between Cape May and Wildwood there have been allot of 4 to 8 pound weakfish caught on Fin-S fish, Zoom flukes, bucktails tipped with Culprit worms, and smaller shad bodies. If you are fishing here be ready to feed a few bluefish with them mixed in to eat up your rubber baits. But as soon as you put a steel leader on the weaks stop hitting. A couple of guys fishing Grassy Sounds did very good on bluefish, smaller stripers and some real nice flounder, even know they are still out of season. These guys were drifting the channels drifting squid, strip herring and bucktails and had over 25 bluefish, 9 stripers all under 26 inches and 4 flounder one fish close to 6 pounds. Now flounder opens next weekend so I would hope to start hearing of better flounder catches soon. Sea bass and blackfishing off shore has been very good from Wildwood up to Barnagate. Most of these boats are only going 10 to 15 miles off shore and have done very well on numbers of sea bass 2 to 4 pounds. The blackfishing has been good on the same wreaks with fish 4 to 7 pounds. And allot of the jetties are starting to show good numbers of smaller blackfish but most I hear are under size. The last report from the shore if off the pier at Margate. Several guys have been down the past couple of weeks picking up all the 3 to 8 pound bluefish they want on mullet, mackerel and herring. Fishing a strip bait on a Fireball rig has done the best but if you want to cast of these fish a spoon, diamond jig or Gotcha plugs have been working the best.

Last week I said I had not heard much on smallmouth bass and to my amazement several guys came in with good reports. The best has been on the Susquehanna river from Harrisburg north to Clemson's Island. A customer was out on a guide trip and fished around the statue of liberty and picked up 25 + fish but what was impressive was most were 16 inches and above. They were doing the best on spinner baits, Bagley's mid running crankbaits, rapala's, and tubes. Another customer was u fishing the campground. He did his best down in the ledges below the launch with bucktails, grubs and tubes. He was by himself and caught 21 smallies up to 18 inches, 4 walleyes up to 19 inches and 1 catfish close to 8 pounds. He was out over the weekend and said there were plenty of boats out and all were catching fish. The last report from this river was up at Clemson's Island. This customer was out with minnows and leeches and did really good from the launch down to the power lines. He picked up over 50 smallies for 3 guys with fish up to 19 inches. They also caught several walleyes up above the ramp in the big rocks. Most of those fish were 15 inches just a couple of pounds. They did throw allot of lures but did the best on bait. Go figure. Now the upper Delaware. One customer was up to the Water Gap this past weekend for a shad trip. They picked up several shad fishing the evening hours but had the most fun fishing from lunch to dinner for smallmouth bass with grubs, tubes, spinners, spinner baits and crankbaits. They were fishing the deeper water and caught plenty of fish 12 to 16 inches. A few guys in the Point Pleasant area of the river caught several smallmouth bass fishing the islands. They said the fish are pretty tight to the shore line even with the low water. They were picking up most of the fish casting minnows with no weight. The upper Schuylkill river has picked up for smallmouth bass also. One customer was up above Flat Rock Dam and had a real good day picking up over 20 smallies, 3 catfish and a bunch of rock bass and bluegills. He was using minnows and nightcrawlers. Picking my son up I talked to a fisherman in the gas station. He fished the Schuylkill river just below Reading and has done very good since the heavy rain a month or so ago. He has been fishing shiners, nightcrawlers, leeches, crayfish and hellgrammites. Allot of these fish are on the smaller side but they have caught fish up to 4 pounds.

A little more about the lower Delaware River. Several guys were out bass fishing in the harbors picking up allot of fish on plastic worms, lizards, spinner baits and crankbaits. And along with the bass some bigger catfish have been hitting the crankbaits and spinner baits. I think during the spawn these cats go crazy over firetiger Bombers and big white spinner baits. A few guys fishing the power plant are still picking up herring some shad and allot of smaller stripers. And if you get in the during the night hours they have caught walleyes and bigger catfish on nightcrawlers, minnows, leeches and strip herring on a bucktail. And if you are looking for shad the fishing up river has been very good. The shad now are 20 miles above Narrowsburg and have been hitting best at night either trolling darts or spoons. If you fish during the day you will catch fish but it seems that after dinner the fish really turn on. And lower in the river in Salem a bunch of smaller white perch are starting to move in. So if you go down with bloodworms it is going to cost you a fortune in bait. But they are still getting a few bigger perch and still getting allot of stripers 15 to 25 inches. Up in Salem Harbor a customer picked up 6 largemouth bass on Senko worms fishing off the docks. He said the fish are back in the corner bedding up. And all the guys that fish the Poquessing say most of the bass have moved out. They are still getting some smaller bass, catfish, perch and some smaller stripers but the big bass moved out. The Neshaminy marina was pretty good fishing inside the pilings. This bass fisherman was up throwing rubber skirted jigs with pork and picked up 11 largemouth bass up to 3 pounds. He also caught 2 crappies. On his way out of the harbor he was casting the jetty and on a jig picked up 3 catfish and 1 striper 25 inches.

Other freshwater spots. The Pennypack creek has still been great for trout fisherman. Using mealworms, wax worms, power baits, earthworms, corn, spinners and minnows have been some of the better things to use. The Boulevard has been one of the best spots but guys fishing Krestown, Verree and Pine Roads have been doing very well also. And fishing Lamuar Park can land you some bigger trout with allot of fish still in the creek from the tournament a couple of weeks ago. One customer has been up there several time each time catching his limit of fish 14 to 17 inches. Most are rainbows but he has picked up a couple of brown and even 2 brook trout both over 15 inches. Stoney Brook up by Allentown has been another really good trout spot for bigger fish. Here again it was stocked for a tournament and the few guys heading up there are picking up some fish over 5 pounds. Levittown Lake the trout have still been hitting and a mix of bass, crappies and bluegills make up the time when the trout are not hitting. But for trout spoons, power baits, minnows, shiners and wax worms have been working the best. For the bluegills and wax worms or earthworms work well. Now the bass and crappies have been hitting spoons, minnows, nightcrawlers and grubs. Core Creek has been a hit or miss spot. A week or so ago they had allot of really good days on trout but the past week it has slowed up. The guys that are picking up a few trout have been using power baits, corn and wax worms. But on this lake the crappies, perch, bluegills, catfish and even a few walleyes can make up you time. I know a couple of guys fishing the spillway doing very good on panfish with minnows, meal worms, wax worms and jigs. Drifting the upper lake with minnows or worms can land you plenty of smaller fish. The walleyes I heard caught were picked up Monday night right off the dam. This customer was up fishing after hours but landed 3 walleyes up to 4 pounds with leeches on a hair jig. Yes I did say after hours. I don't ask any questions. Noxamixion has still been really good for crappies, bluegills and perch fishing the shore line right out of the boat rental. I had a report from last weekend from a customer that fished less than 400 yards fishing with 2 inch twister tails right into the shore line catching over 50 panfish for 2 guys. Nothing big but the action was real good. He talked to several guys that were out early bass fishing picking up some smaller fish on surface lures in the shallows. And down in the spillway here they have picked up some walleyes fishing at night or early in the morning with minnows, leeches and nightcrawlers. But they say the fishing has slowed up since the flow has been cut way back. These guys are hoping for some rain this week so they start releasing more water. The ponds down the street from us have been pretty good for smaller panfish, catfish and a few carp. I had a customer bring up a picture of a largemouth bass his daughter caught that was over 4 pounds. He picked it up on a nightcrawler. Several guys have been fishing Silver and Magnolia Lakes catching plenty of smaller largemouth bass. Most are picking the fish up on minnows and worms but smaller crankbaits, spinners and plastics have been working well also. The Fairless Hill Park has still been pretty good for largemouth bass, sunfish and walleyes. A couple of the bass fisherman have been picking up the bass fishing with minnows, spinners, spinner baits and fishing a small sunfish under a bobber. The walleyes have been hitting bigger spinners, worms and minnows. Most of these fish are 2 to 3 pounds and there are some smaller muskies in this lake also. Rohm Haas has really picked up for largemouth bass and they have caught some really big fish this past week. One customer was up early in the week fishing 10 inch power worms just outside the pads and landed 4 fish up to 6 pounds and also last several big fish in the pads. He help a fellow fisherman land a really big fish that was 23 inches over 7 pounds. He caught this fish on a spinner bait with a plastic trailer. A couple of other guys have been up each morning all catching a couple of bass each day. And most of the better fish have been 3 to 4 pounds. Union Lake produced fish last weekend but the couple of guys that were down said the numbers were way off. They caught crappies, perch, pickerel and bass. But they said a fish here and there was all they had and nothing to brag about on size. And another lake that was off this past week was Raystown. Several guys were out for a weeks vacation and they did catch some nice smallmouth bass but the numbers were not real good. With minnows most of the guys were drifting the shore lines and what fish they caught were 14 to 19 inches. There was another group of guys that went out and rented a house boat and were out looking for stripers. Again they caught fish but not many. The biggest striper they had was 23 pounds and they had several fish 15 to 20 pounds most on rainbow trout, poppers and bucktails. The heavy winds all week I think were the biggest problem. I know I had to deal with them myself. Marsh Creek a customer was up on Sunday fishing with minnows and jigs in 20 to 35 feet of water picking up smallmouth bass up to 4 pounds and yellow perch up to 1 1/2 pounds. Most of these fish were stacked up on the ledges right outside the spawning grounds. A report from the Pequest Creek up off Route 46 for trout in Jersey. This customer was up fly fishing the stream just below the hatchery and did very good fishing bead heads, wooly buggers, streams and nymphs. He was up over the weekend and fish Friday night picking up 4 rainbows up to 14 inches. Saturday he caught 11 fish total again up to 14 inches but here he had a mix or browns and rainbows. Sunday was his best day. 22 browns and rainbow mix and 3 brook trout up to 12 inches. Not bad for Jersey trout.

Well that is all I have for this week. I hope the weather man is wrong but looking out the window right now he may not be. I just hope we get Sunday with a little sun. So if you do get out good luck and again let us know how you do!!

Bill
Old 06-10-2007, 12:12 PM

Friday June 8, 2007
Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.

Well for myself no fishing this past week. Bruce is up the mountains for the week so I get the pleasure of working my days off. And due to the weather he did not get out much up the mountains either. He had allot of rain the first couple of days and one other day was so windy he stayed close to home. He was heading to Duck Harbor Pond yesterday but I did not hear yet how he did. But the only day he got down and fished the Delaware he had a pretty good day with shad and smallmouth bass. He fished the shore line down river using grubs picking up the smallies and trolled back up river with a 1/16 chartreuse shad dart for the shad. He said all the shad were row fish and all good size fish. The smallies were all on the smaller side. Other than that he fished the farm pond and caught all the bass, bluegills, perch, crappies and catfish he wanted to catch on minnows, grubs and surface lures. I will be heading up in a couple of weeks myself. So there will be a week I miss this report or it will be quite late coming to your mailbox.

Now aver all this was quite a quite week. So this report is going to be a bit shorter this week. The rain early in the week did not help much and then we had one day with winds up over 30 miles and hour that keep allot of people home.

The lower river has still been pretty good for smaller stripers, catfish and perch. If you are heading up for herring you will be wasting your time. I had several guys go up looking for a fish or two and all came back empty handed. The best I heard was one boat picked up 2 smaller shad on a sabiki rig. But with frozen herring, bloodworms or chicken livers you can still pick up allot of stripers 12 to 18 inches. Now there is a big catfish tournament coming up but I have not heard much on bigger fish. Most of the catfish picked up this past week in this area have been 1 to 3 pounds. The only bigger fish I did hear of was in the mouth of the Schuylkill a customer caught 9 stripers and 15 catfish and a bunch of white perch. Fishing a live white perch looking for a bigger striper he picked up two catfish over 6 pounds. And several guys fishing way down the river from Salem to the C and D canal are catching tons of smaller stripers, white perch and catfish. And again here all the catfish I'm hearing about are 2 to 4 pounds. Nothing really big. And they have been catching allot of stripers and perch with bloodworms again all smaller fish. The biggest striper I heard from down there was 25 inches. That fish was picked up on chicken liver. Now if you head up to Yardley they have been catching a few bigger stripers if you want to fish during the night hours. A few guys have been fishing large poppers catching a few fish 25 to 30 inches. The river is extremely low so if you do go up at night be very careful.

Now sticking to the river the smallmouth bass fishing has been picking up a little bit each week. The river level has been the lowest this early in several years. So if you are a wader it will be allot easier to get around. Jay has been wading in the Treasure Island area of the river picking up a few smallmouth bass here and there but he said almost every cast you get a good size catfish. He has been using minnows and nightcrawlers. Another customer was fishing at New Hope picking up 9 smallmouth bass, 5 stripers and a few catfish with minnows and tubes. He was fishing off the wing dam. The guys that have been fishing for stripers at Yardley say as the sun comes up they switch to small surface lures and they have been picking up some smallies. Nothing big but it is a nice end to a night of fishing. Heading up a bit further on the river in the Byran area the bass have been hitting along the 29 wall across from the ramp. One customer was up fishing the fast water only catching really small bass but came down along the wall and picked up 15 fish 12 to 15 inches. In the fast water most of the fish were 8 to 10 inches. All caught on minnows. And a few guys are starting to do the drift from Frenchtown back to Byran and are having days with over 50 fish for a couple of guys. Minnows, leeches, grubs, tubes and surface lures have been working the best. The Water Gap has also been pretty good for smallmouth bass and even a few good size stripers. Here the bass have been hitting grubs the best and the stripers have been hitting surface lures and big shad bodies. The last report from the Delaware is from the east branch from a couple of trout fisherman. They were up over the weekend and did very well. Fishing with a mix of dry flies they picked up 3 rainbow trout each all 3 to 6 pounds.

Now for trout in this area. The Pennypack has still one of the best places to head. Anthony has been fishing Rhawn street and picking up a few trout yet but has been doing much better on both smallmouth and largemouth bass. And he said there are a few good size bass in this area. He has been using allot of minnows and leeches for the bass and mealworms and earthworms for the trout. The best place for trout has still been the Boulevard. Here they have been catching allot of trout, carp, suckers, bluegills and bass. One customer was up on Saturday with his sons and picked up 5 trout and 2 carp on corn and mealworms. A couple of other guys were up yesterday and caught 2 trout, a bunch of bluegills and 3 largemouth bass up to 3 pounds. They caught the trout and bluegills on mealworms and they bass were caught on spinners. And a bit further up the creek at Pine Road they are still getting a few trout early in the morning. Here the creek is very low but if you head down the creek from the parking area there are a few deeper holes that are holding several trout. The guys have been fishing earthworms, mealworms and minnows picking up a couple of fish each morning. And at Lemur Park they are getting some better trout and allot of smallmouth bass. A few of the bigger trout are still left over from the tournament a month ago and fishing with minnows, mealworms, spinners and nightcrawlers there has been a few 15 to 20 inch trout still caught. And mixed in with each trout they are picking up allot of 8 to 12 inches smallmouth bass and bigger bluegills on the same baits. The Wissahickon has also been pretty good for trout for the couple of guys that are still fishing it. They have been in the Henry Avenue area of the creek and fishing with minnows, spinners and mealworms has landed them a couple of 12 to 14 inch trout each trip over. And again here they are getting a few smallmouth bass and bluegills mixed in. Levittown Lake for trout has really been slow but here they are getting some largemouth bass, crappies and bluegills. Minnows and nightcrawlers have been working the best in bait and plastic worms, spinners, spoons and jigs for artificial. Core Creek has been the slowest of all the trout spots. Everyone I talked to has not picked up any trout in this lake in several weeks. But they are still getting allot of bluegills, perch and crappies in the main lake. With small minnows, mealworms and grubs these panfish have been hitting in pretty good numbers. Jay fishing with a minnow caught a 4 to 5 pound largemouth bass early in the week.

Saltwater action was off this past week with the rains and winds we had. And the bait situation has not gotten any better down the shore but finally we do have a good supply of minnows if you are heading down that way. Lets start with the Delaware Bay where the drumfishing has picked back up with most boats getting 4 to 6 drumfish each night. And most of the fish have been 30 to 75 pounds with a few bigger fish now and then. All have been picked up on clams. They are getting some stripers mixed in while drumfishing but most of the fish have been under sized. At the rips there are tons of smaller stripers hitting shad bodies, bucktails, clams and bunker. Now most guys are catching a fish or two to bring home but most of the fish have been 20 to 25 inches. And the fish they are keeping are just 28 to 29 inches. The flounder fishing in the bay has been pretty good with allot of nice 4 to 5 pound fish taken. Most of the guys I talked to are not limiting out but with the bigger fish they do come home with a good supply of meat. They have been catching allot of the fish on strip herring, strip mackerel, minnows, squid and allot of guys are using a mix of Berkeley's Gulp baits. Along Cape May, Wildwood, Absecon, Atlantic City, Avalon and Margate they bluefish have been hitting in pretty good numbers. Most of these fish have been 2 to 5 pounds and are hitting mackerel, herring and metal. The colder water has been keeping the numbers of kingfish down but there has been a few caught on bloodworms. And for most guys the best action here has been sharks and skates. Off shore of Cape May the deeper water is holding some really nice flounder. A few guys fishing the reefs in 30 to 40 feet of water have caught a few bigger fluke in the 4 to 8 pound range. They have been fishing tandem rigs with big spinner blades. Big strips of either mackerel, herring or squid has been the best baits. The back bays of Cape May has been good for flounder also but here they have been catching allot of smaller fish with squid, minnows and bucktails. In Barnagate Bay the flounder have been hitting good in the inlets. Again with big strip baits some fish over 4 pounds have been brought in. And up the bay they have had a few good nights on weakfish with small bucktails, fin-s fish and flies. One customer was out on Saturday night and picked up 5 weakies 4 to 6 pounds fishing with his fly rod. He also caught 11 bluefish and lost at least that many on bite offs. The Raitian Bay has still been very good for almost everything. The stripers are still hitting in good numbers with some bigger fish still around. I know Dan was up Friday last week and had 9 bass up to 28 pounds on chunk fresh bunker. He also caught tons of bluefish 2 to 6 pounds. Another customer was fishing the inlet drifting for flounder with squid and minnows picking up a limit of fish for 2 fisherman. He did not have anything big but made the limit. Allot of great report from north Massachusetts for monster porgies. These guys have been fishing with bloodworms and clams catching coolers of 3 to 4 pound porgies. And south in the Chesapeake the croakers and spots have been hitting in very good numbers on bloodworms and fish bites. Here again most everyone is coming home with a cooler full of fish. The Susquehanna river is the last place that I have been hearing back from. Several guys were out last weekend all having good days on smallmouth bass 12 to 16 inches with a few bigger fish mixed in. Most of the guys are fishing minnows, leeches, crayfish, hellgrammites, grubs and tubes. The better places have been Clemson's Island, Duncannon and Harrisburg.

Some other freshwater spots. Churchville has been pretty good for smaller perch and crappies under the bridge with minnows, mealworms and small twister tails. And a few guys that are fishing the rocks off the road with plastic worms, rattle traps and spinner baits have picked up some good size largemouth bass. No giants but a few fish 3 to 4 pounds. And Rohm Haas is another pretty good spot for some bigger largemouth bass. Here again they are fishing allot of plastic worms, spinner baits, rattle traps, jigs and weedless surface lures in the pads. Here a couple of fish over 5 pounds were caught this past week. Most of the bass they are catching are 2 to 3 pounds but from time to time they bring in a fish 5 to 6 pounds. Silver Lake this past week was very good for smaller largemouth bass on plastic worms. I had one customer pick up several packs of black power worms telling me he has been catching allot of bass 1 to 2 pounds in this lake. And the lake that feeds into Silver Lake is Magnolia Lake that also has been very good for smaller largemouth bass. One customer was up fishing with crankbaits and buzz baits picking up 11 fish on Saturday. His biggest fish was 15 inches about 2 1/2 pounds. Noxamixion I only had one customer come back to tell me the largemouth bass fishing was very good Wednesday morning before the winds came up. He was fishing the lilly pads with weedless frogs picking up 17 largemouth bass up to 4 pounds. But then the winds came up and he had too much trouble keeping his boat where he needed it so he headed home. Roosevelt Lake has picked up this week for smaller panfish. But everyone has not done anything on any largemouth bass in this lake this year. The report that I got this customer picked up bluegills and perch on twister tails and trout magnets. A customer was down to Struble Lake is Delaware county have a great day on big crappies, yellow perch and largemouth bass. He was fishing with shiners, twister tails and small tubes. He had several crappies 14 to 16 inches, yellow perch up to 15 inches and bass 2 to 3 pounds. He told me that between the three guys in the boat they caught over a hundred fish last Saturday. Marsh Creek has been very good for some bigger smallmouth bass and yellow perch. Fishing in deeper water with minnows and leeches these guys were out last weekend and had bass up to 3 pounds and perch over a pound. They said the fish were held up in 30 feet of water and were suspended up at 22 feet so they set up a slip bobber to catch the most fish. The Perkiomen has really picked up for smaller smallmouth bass, bluegills and rock bass with minnows, leeches, nightcrawlers, twister tails, spinners and small surface lures. Most everyone that I talked to this week picked up 20 or so fish each day but most of the fish are 10 to 12 inches. Another really good spot has been Hulmeville Falls on the Neshaminy Creek. Here they have been catch a mix bag of carp, catfish, crappies, bluegills, largemouth bass and smallmouth bass. Minnows and worms have been working for most with corn or carp baits for the carp. I did not hear of anything to put on the wall but the action for most was very good. In jersey a few guys hit Spruce Run and had a couple of good days on smallies along the dam with Senko worms. They picked up limits of fish most 2 to 3 pounds. Mixed in they picked up a couple of largemouth bass and pickerel. Union Lake has been good again for a mix of perch, crappies, bass and pickerel. The guys are fishing the shore lines with twister tails, plastic worms, crankbaits, surface lures and minnows. Here again nothing big but most have had action all day. A report back from Assapink Lake for largemouth bass and pickerel. This is a chain of lakes that includes Stone Tavern. But this customer was fishing one of the other lakes and had 5 largemouth bass and 9 pickerel on live minnows. Stone Tavern also was pretty good for largemouth bass with plastic worms, buzz baits, spinner baits and rattle traps. The only report was Tuesday afternoon with a customer picking up 11 largemouth 1 to 3 pounds.

Well that is all I have for you this week. Anyone fishing the tournament good luck and lets hope some bigger catfish show up on Saturday. There are a few new tournament listed below for the following weeks.

Bill

6-2-HI BILL WE FISHED ON THE TAMPA VII OUT OF BELMAR ON MEMORIAL DAY , IT WAS ONE OF THOSE DAYS THAT YOU WISH WOULD NEVER END,WE WERE GETTING BLUES FROM THE TIME WE ENTERED THE OCEAN ON JIGS IT WAS NONSTOP ALL DAY WITH THE BLUES RANGING FROM 3 TO 6 LBS.WE CAUGHT 2 STRIPERS MINE WAS 17.8 LBS AND MY BROTHER IN LAW LARRY CAUGHT ONE THAT WAS 18.8 LBS HE WON THE POOL BY 1 STINKING LB .I THINK HE USED THE OLD SINKER DOWN THE GULLET TRICK BECAUSE AS YOU CAN SEE MY FISH IS MUCH BIGGER LOOK AT THE PICS MY FISH IS ON YOUR LEFT.WE WERE BOTH USING AVA17S ,WHEN WE HIT THE STRIPERS,EVERY PERSON ON THE TRIP CAUGHT FISH IT WAS A GREAT CREW ON THIS BOAT .SMITTY
Old 08-11-2007, 02:13 AM
Reports and Info Dude

Friday August 4, 2007

Sorry I’m a day late but just coming back from vacation there was so much to do just to catch up. And this is the week that doe permits go in and the hunting license sales were crazy to also keep me quite busy. Now out trip was a fantastic weather week for us but with all the extreme hot weather we have had most of the ponds that I fish were all milky white and full of algae. That made them really hard to fish and also had the fish shut down. The first
night Helen and myself put in about 3 hours with shrimp, minnows and grubs to only catch one catfish, one bass and a couple of bluegills. The second time we went down we just fished for bluegills with small grubs and only caught 4 fish with every cast a bunch of algae on the hook. So the third day we went over to another smaller pond and fished with chartreuse trout magnets and just killed the bluegills. In a couple of hours we had to catch close to a hundred fish. Waking up the next day we tried something different. We went down to the local campground and had them take us up the Delaware River about 6 miles and did a canoe drift down. I was the only one with a rod but we did not expect to do
much with fishing a section of river we have not been on before and also that far up the river the fish are usually slow with the colder water. But wow what a day I had on smallmouth bass. In 6 hours I only caught 35 fish but most were 12 to 15 inches. I did have 2 river chubs and missed a monster walleye that came up and tried to eat a 12 inch smallies that I had on the line. All the fish were caught on watermelon and watermelon red Zoom grubs. The highlight of the trip was to watch my son kayak up to a couple of deer and get as close to 30 feet before they started to move. Then a
bit further down river there was a bald eagle sitting on a rock on the river bank. He slow rowed in with in 20 feet of the eagle before it flew away. All this and no camera, go figure. The last night we hit the pond again for a couple of hours to another slow night. But we did catch a couple of bass, crappies and bluegills most on the trout magnets. It was tough to pack up and come home.
Now for report again around here they have been coming in quite slow. Please if anyone does get please take a few minutes and let us know what is going on and where. The best reports still have been smallmouth bass on all the local rivers and streams. The upper Delaware has been one of the best with guys now fishing from Yardley up stream to the Water Gap all doing very well. And weather you are in a boat or just wading the fishing has been just
as good. Yardley has been on of the slower spots with most guys telling me that a couple of hours fishing in the islands are landing them 10 to 30 fish for a good day of fishing. And here most of the fish have been 8 to 12 inches. Minnows and grubs are what they have been using. Now up at Washington’s Crossing a couple of guys were out drifting in kayaks picking up over 50 fish in a couple of hours with just 3 and 4 inch power grubs. They had
several fish 14 to 16 inches. A couple of guys have been putting in their boats at Byran all doing very well from the fast water along the wall on smallmouth bass and even a few walleyes. Most of the walleyes have been picked up early in the mornings or late in the day and all during the day it is all smallmouth bass. Most of these guys are picking up from 40 to 80 fish a trip for a couple of guys. Minnows and leeches have been the best two baits with grubs, tubes and spinners have also been working very well. The next section I heard good reports from is Treasure Island. Here the guys have been wading between the four islands and have been picking up 20 to 50 fish per man for a full day of fishing. Allot of smaller fish are held up in the fast water with some 14 to 16 inch fish in the deeper pools. Again minnows and leeches have been working the best for live bait. Here they are also catching allot of small stripers in the fast water with the smallies allot of them on the minnows and white grubs. Up at the Water Gap the guys have been doing the best up in the fast water above the 80 bridge. They would like to fish the deeper water but there are so many people running jet skies and swimming here they have to stay north of the bridge. But they are getting allot of smallmouth bass on minnows, grubs, tubes, spinners, spinner baits and poppers. One customer put his boat in at Milford and did really good on smallmouth bass and walleyes. He was only using minnows drifting them into the deeper pools to pick up these fish. A full day of fishing boated him 55 smallmouth bass up to 17 inches and 11 walleyes up to 22
inches. Not a bad day of fishing. Now for the creeks. Charlie was up the Tohickon again this Wednesday night and had 11 bass all on poppers. He had 7 of the fish that were 14 inches or bigger. That was the only day he fished this week. But a couple of guys have been fishing the Perkiomen right were the Skippack Creek dumps in. Here they have been catching all the fish you want to reel in with smaller minnows, meal worms, leeches, nightcrawlers, poppers, grubs and shallow crankbaits. Most every smallmouth is on the smaller side but they have been getting some nice size
bluegills. There are also a ton of rock bass in these waters also. Further down stream around Collegeville they have been doing just as good on numbers but here they are getting a few bigger fish mixed in. But to find the bigger fish you have to find some of the deeper holes. The Pennypack Creek has still been very good for bass also. From Frankford Avenue up to Rhawn Street they have been getting a mix or largemouth and smallmouth bass. Most of these fish are being caught on minnow, nightcrawlers, grubs and plastic worms. Up a bit further at Krestown up to Pine Road it is
mostly smallmouth bass. And if you get up to Lemaur Park there are some bigger smallmouth bass and bluegills being caught. Again minnows, nightcrawlers, leeches, grubs and spinners have been working the best. The last spot has been the Neshaminy Creek. At Hulmville Falls the bass, carp, catfish, small stripers and bluegills have been hitting very good. Most everyone I talk to say the bass and bluegills have been hitting minnows and small grubs the best. Catfish have been hitting nightcrawlers, herring and shrimp. The carp mostly have been caught on corn, bread, bagels and carp baits. Some better carp fishing has been at the Frankford Arsenal. Here several guys have been talking about some carp 20 to 30 plus pounds. They have been picking up most of these fish on corn meal, bagels, corn and carp baits. They are also catching a few catfish on nightcrawlers and herring. The rest of the main river has been just smaller stripers, catfish and perch on nightcrawlers, shrimp, herring, bloodworms and chicken livers. Very few guys
bass fishing but I did talk to one group that was over to Dredge Harbor the other night and had a pretty good day on largemouth bass. They were fishing with plastic worms, poppers, buzz baits and jigs picking up 11 bass up to 15 inches. They also caught one small musky 21 inches on a popper. The guys I talked to that did so well downtown fished the tournament that weekend and really had a bad day. During the week they had several fish up to 3 plus pounds but during the tournament they only caught 1 keeper fish just 2.7 pounds. They did have 9 others they had to release.
Saltwater action I have been hearing is croakers in the Delaware Bay in good numbers and some nice size fish. Most of these guys are fishing with bloodworms and fish bites on top and bottom rigs. Up at Fortasque the crabbing has really turned on in the upper creeks. That is if you can take the bugs. Bruce was down this past week talking to several guys catching a bushel or so per boat of keeper size with as many throw backs. At the old grounds off Delaware the flounder fishing has been picking up. They are getting some fish 5 to 11 pounds that past week on big spinner single rigs. Large strip squid and spearing have been working the best. Up off Wildwood about a mile off shore they have been getting some nice size flounder mixed in with a million little fish. Ventnor and Margate have been extremely good for kingfish with a mix of croakers, sharks, skates and small blues. The kingfish have been hitting bloodworms and fish bites with the rest hitting squid, mullet and mackerel the best. The best shore fishing has been up north out of Brielle, Belmar and Barnagat for good size flounder.
Everyone I talk to is telling me that catching 20 or better fish each day is not uncommon with 3 to 5 keepers each day. And some of these keeper are 5 to 9 pounds. Off shore in the same area there has been some great sea bass fishing. Most of these boats are heading out to the inshore wreaks picking up plenty of 2 to 3 pound sea bass. They also have had a mix of blackfish and ling. The night bluefish trips have still been very good. Most of the guys are catching 10 to 20 fish a night with some fish weighing in 5 to 10 pounds. Off the beach at Island State Park and Long Beach Island at night has brought some 15 to 35 inch stripers on poppers, striper swipers and bomber long a’s. During the day there have been some bluefish on mullet and mackerel. The Chesapeake Bay has still been great for croakers and spots with bloodworms and fish bites. Most everyone I have talked that is fishing here is saying that a cooler full of fish is not uncommon.
Well if I’m going to get this report posted today I have to end it here. Good luck and please let me know how you did if you getout.

Bill

7-14- Took your advise and went up to Frenchtown and waded the new life island section. We were able to cross the river and did unbelivable. just drifting the minnows along the island landed us up to 50 fish. We could not keep count but used up the 60 minnows we took in less than two hours. So we went to the zoom grubs you sold us and did just about as good. We had to catch another 50 fish by the end of the day. The biggest fish was a 5 pound catfish with the biggest bass a 15 inches 2.5 pound fish. We even caught a bunch of stripers all really skinny fish. They must not be getting the bait they need to stay fat. Will see you again this coming weekend.
Pete
Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 PM

Has anyone seen or caught any stripers on the Upper Delaware recently??
Old 08-28-2007, 07:30 PM

Ray I live near the upper Delaware but havent fished it recently. Guys were catching some a few weeks back near the Lackawaxen.
Last time I fished the river I caught some walleye but that was late spring.
Ill post up Brinkmans report from friday. My buddy says the smallmouth are biting pretty well now.

Welcome to the board.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 PM

Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.
Saturday August 25, 2007

With the weather we had this week the fishing report is going to be short and sweet. I myself was up the mountains for the week and ended up drinking beer, watching movies and also watching the grass grow. I was able to get out on the river on Sunday doing a 7 mile drift trip. The weather was very cloudy and wind blowing up river which made the day very difficult. We started just above Equinuck and fished grubs and minnows. The minnows picked up a couple of fish but after a while of fighting the wind we found it easier just to stay with grubs. 7 hours on the river we ended up catching 29 smallies, 2 walleyes and bunch of chubs and rock bass. Punkenseed was the color of the day and most of the smallmouth were 8 to 12 inches with the biggest a 16 1/2 inch fish. The walleyes were both 15 inches. The rest of the week it was either raining or blowing so all I did was hit our pond picking up a couple catfish, bass and bluegills. Not a great week off for fishing but just getting away is well worth it.
Now around here with all the rain we have been you would think the river would be extremely high and muddy but it is in great condition. Coming home from the mountains the Water Gap was low and clear and when we went over Yardley the river was just a bit off color and about a foot higher than normal for this time of the year. And for the few guys that have been going up the smallmouth have been hitting in very good numbers. Kevin was up fishing just below Lamberville with minnows and grubs picking up 45 fish on Tuesday. He said the minnows were working the best but the grubs picked up the bigger fish. His color this day was salt and pepper landing 4 fish over 15 inches. He also caught several small stripers. Another customer was wading the Treasure Island area telling me the river was a bit high to cross but staying on the jersey side he managed to pick up 12 smallmouth and 1 walleye. The smallies were 10 to 14 inches and were all caught drifting minnows. The walleye was 18 inches and was caught on a white grub. The last guy I talked to was up fishing at Byran. He did his best fishing above the bridge abutments with live minnows. In these ledges he picked up 57 fish for 3 guys. Again most of the fish were 10 to 14 inches with a couple of bigger fish mixed in. I only have one other smallmouth report that come from the upper Neshaminy. This customer was wading about Tyler State Park with live minnows and nightcrawlers. Several hours of fishing landed him 9 smallmouth bass, 11 rock bass and all the bluegills he wanted to catch. Here there were nothing big at all.
A couple of guys were out fishing the lower river for bass last weekend telling the fishing has gotten very tough. They were out Friday fishing Tullytown Cove only picking up 4 fish all under 10 inches. These fish were caught on Senko worms. They went out to the main river and did not catch a single fish. The next day they got on the river a bit earlier and started over in Dredge Harbor. Several hours of fishing surface lures only landed them on catfish 4 pounds. Again they went out to the main river from the sail boat club down below the Tacony Bridge. Here they tried almost everything in their box and only picked up one bass on a white rattle grub. This fish was 17 inches about 3 pounds. So if you are looking to bass fish I would head up river. The catfishing has been pretty good for smaller fish. The couple of guys have been using live eels, herring, nightcrawlers, chicken livers and bagels. Each day out they have picked up 4 to 10 fish up to 5 pounds. They are also catching allot of 10 to 15 inch stripers and lots of small white perch. The only other report on the lower river has come from the Frankford Arsenal. This guy has been down carp fishing with corn and bagels picking up a fish or two each day up to 20 pounds.

The shore fishing this week was not bad for the guys that were able to get out. With the bad weather and heavy winds all the small boats stayed in. Frank was only able to get out on Thursday. He came out of Barnagate inlet and fished a mile off the beach. Using squid, minnows, spearing and bucktails they boated 23 flounder with 9 keepers. The biggest was a 23 inch 6 pound fish caught on a Spro bucktail with strip squid. He said there were several boat out that day and all were doing pretty good. The Mohawk was out Tuesday with most every guy on board coming home with a couple of fish. Freddie was there that day catching 9 fish himself with 2 keepers. He did his best on bucktails. The biggest fish that day on the boat was a 9 1/2 pound pool winner. The kingfishing along the beach has really slowed up. Steve was telling me that the fishing has been very slow off the Ventnor pier the past couple of weeks. The best fishing has been with meat for sharks, skates and rays. The same off the Margate Pier with only a couple of smaller kingfish being caught on bloodworms. Down in the Cape May area the croaker fishing has been picking up each week. These guys have been fishing the beach, jetties and just off shore in boats with bloodworms, Fish Bites and squid. And the kingfish have moved up the Delaware Bay in pretty good numbers and are also hitting bloodworms, Fish Bites and squid. The tuna fishing has been the best every but this week I don't know of any boats that got out to fish for them. Same with the off shore sea bass trips.
A couple of guys have been hitting Rohm Haas each morning picking up a couple of smaller bass each day. Plastic worms have been working the best and early in the morning have been the best time to fish. They say most of the fishing is over by 8 in the morning. Fairless Hills only one report of a customer picking up 2 largemouth bass both on nightcrawlers. He said the bluegills were driving him crazy fishing worms but after tiring several other things that was all the bass would hit. One report from Core Creek just for panfish. This guy was up last Sunday fishing along the shoreline catching some perch and bluegills with meal worms and wax worms.
I hate to tell you but that is all I have for you this week. Unless there are some reports when I get online. Good luck and enjoy this bit of warmer weather.
Well another fish less week for myself having to work my days off. This was due to Bruce being up the mountains for the week. At least he was able to get to the river one day and had a really good day on smallmouth bass. He fished on Tuesday in the Hankins area of the river and fishing with Zoom grubs picked up 35 fish. He had fish 11 to 16 inches and picked them up both trolling and casting to the shore line. He looked at most of the farm ponds that we fish and all were so grown over he never wet a line. I will be heading back up in a couple of weeks and hope to find the river in the same condition to due the drift trip again. But only time will tell.

Now all around the smallmouth bass fishing has been the hottest thing this past week. Mainly due to it was one of the only thing you could due with the temperature close to 100 all week long. To sit in a boat this past week would have been just crazy!! Now the upper Delaware has been fantastic. The level has been going up and down but the middle of this past everyone was just killing fish. Fishing with minnows, leeches, nightcrawlers, grubs, tubes, shallow crankbaits and surface lures has landed the most fish. Jay was up on Tuesday having a really good day even know the heat got to him even wading. He was fishing mostly with minnows picking up smallmouth and stripers. Frank was wading the Treasure Island area picking up all the smallies he wanted with a mix of stripers and catfish. He again was fishing with minnows and leeches. A couple of guys were in wading the islands at Yardley catching a bunch of fish but they said everything here was on the small side. A few guys have been in drift tubes in the Point Pleasant area doing very well on fish 10 to 16 inches. And even as far as the Water Gap a couple of guys were up last weekend picking up plenty of smallmouth bass up to 16 inches. Again minnows and leeches have been the better baits with grubs and tubes the best lures. And this is holding true for all the streams in the area. But in most of the streams allot of the fish are on the smaller side with a bit mix of rock bass and bluegills. The upper Neshaminy in the Tyler State Park and Playwicky Park area have been the best to wade. Most everyone I talk to is getting 5 to 10 smallies a day but also are catching another 20 to 30 mix of rock bass and bluegills. Smaller minnows, leeches, power grubs and tiny torpedo's have been doing the best. I still only have one guys that fishes the Tohickon and he is still doing very well on bigger fish. Right now he thinks allot of these fish are creek bound with the creek so low they can't get back to the river. Last week he fished several night and did good everyone of them. He is doing best on torpedo's, shallow crankbaits and small slug o's. One night he had 11 fish up to 17 inches and the worse night he caught 8 fish up to 14 inches. He is also getting a bunch of rock bass, bluegills and suckers mixed in. As usual the Perkiomen is still one of the best places to head for the most fish. Everyone I talk to is doing so well on smallmouth, rock bass and bluegills. Even know most of the fish are on the smaller side the action still makes up for it. One customer was fishing around the prison catching over a hundred fish last Saturday. He took 5 dozen smaller minnows and used them all up before lunch. Then he went to smaller grubs and spinners and caught just about the same amount of fish. Up around Green Lane in the deeper part of the creek they did catch a few fish 12 to 14 inches with a few smaller pike mixed in. These guys were fishing with minnows and worms. The Susquehanna River would be the last spot I have heard of good smallmouth bass fishing. These couple of reports came from Duncannon, Clemson's Island, Tawanda and Sayer. Everyone said the river is quite low and crystal clear and they have been catching plenty of smallies on minnows, shiners, leeches, crayfish and hellgrammites. Most say a good day of fishing will land 20 to 40 fish per man. And most of the fish have been 10 to 14 inches with a few bigger fish mixed in. At the mouth of the Juniata river a couple of guys were wading the Susquehanna. These guys never had to move far fishing from the 322 bridge down river a couple hundred yards. Using minnows and what hellgrammites they could find they landed 80 ish fish last Tuesday. And here they had 4 fish 16 to 18 inches.

Well next to the smallmouth fishing things have been quite slow. Several guys have been heading up to Noxamixion and I have not heard a real good report in several weeks. John was up fishing with his wife during the week and from midnight till 10 in the morning they never picked up a fish. Another customer was up fishing off the docks only picking up one bass 11 inches in several hours of fishing. The only decent fishing on this lake has been for panfish. Here fishing the docks or and structure off the shore line with small twister tails or meal worms under a bobber will land you a bunch of bluegills and crappies. A couple of guys have been going up to Rohm Haas picking up a few smaller bass each morning. They have been using power worms to catch these fish. The biggest fish they have had is 2 pounds or so. Fairless Hills lake has been very slow with just a few smaller bass being caught early in the morning on surface lures or live bluegills. Churchville under the bridge using 1 inch twister tails, wax worms and meal worms will bring you a bunch of small bluegills, perch and crappies. But everyone said these fish are really on the smaller side. Levittown Lake has been really slow with just a couple bass being picked up along the shore line with plastic worms. Here you want to get our early in the mornings. Core Creek has been another slow lake with just a few perch, bluegills and crappies being caught on meal worms, wax worms and small minnows. The guys I talked to have been just drifting around the lake for these fish. One of the better lakes in this area has been Marsh Creek. A couple of guys were out last weekend doing pretty good on both smallmouth and largemouth bass. They are fishing some of the deeper pools during the afternoon hours for the smallies with live minnows and worms. And for the largemouth they have been fishing the shorelines with plastic worms, Rapala's and spinnerbaits. And they talked to several guys that all were catching plenty of fish. Another pretty good report comes Struble Lake. This customer was out with his wife on Friday picking up some good size yellow perch and crappies. He was fishing shiners under a slip bobber in 25 feet of water. Just drifting the lake they caught 30 keeper size panfish with a bunch of throw backs. The biggest crappie they had was 15 inches and yellow perch was 14 inches. South Jersey has been another place to head for fish. Manasquan Resiviour was a really good spot to head this week for largemouth bass and pickerel. One customer was down Tuesday morning picking up 11 bass up to 16 inches and 9 pickerel all caught on plastic worms. He was using a 5 inch Senko worm in watermelon seed. He only fished till 9 having to get off the lake due to the heat. The Union Lake guys were in telling me that plenty of fish are still being caught but they have not been down as much due to the heat. They are still catching bass, pickerel, crappies and yellow perch fishing the shore lines with twister tails and plastic worms. Lake Lenape for pickerel and bass has still been pretty good fishing with live minnows along the shore line. One customer has been going down a couple of times a week picking up 3 to 8 fish each trip down. He said most are on the smaller side but from time to time he will land a nice 3 pound largemouth bass. A couple of guys were fishing the sand pits in Cape May catching plenty of 1 to 3 pound largemouth bass. The problem here has been the bugs. They say the flies and mosquito's have been so bad you have to pick and choice the right day to fish. These guys have been catching most of their fish on jigs in the deeper water. Assapink has been another pretty good place for pickerel and bass. Here there are several lakes and they all seem to be pretty good as long as you don't fish the main part of the day when the heat is at it's worse.

Saltwater has not changed much in the past couple of weeks. Croakers are moving into the Delaware Bay and around Cape May in really good numbers. Joe fishing off the jetties with bloodworms has been catching a dozen or so 2 pound croakers each trip out. And several guys fishing up at Fortasque have been catching plenty of good size croakers on bloodworms, fish bites and gulp bloodworms. Top and bottom rigs without floats have been working the best out in boats and the same rig with floats off the beach or jetties. They are getting a kingfish and blowfish here and there. Up the coast in the North Wildwood, A C, Margate and Ventnor area plenty of kingfish are being caught off the beach, jetties and piers. Bloodworms, fish bites and gulp bloodoworms again are working the best. And here a few croakers and bluefish are mixed in. All these places there are plenty of sharks, skates and rays being caught. The old grounds off Delaware this past week was very good for some bigger fluke. Several guys were down fishing bucktails picking up fish 3 to 10 pounds. Now limits are not being filled but a few of these bigger fish brings as much to the table. But for the best flounder fish has been central to north jersey. Everyone I talked to said some of the biggest flounder were caught this past week. These party boats have been going off shore a couple of miles and fishing in 20 to 40 feet of water with top and bottom rigs have brought the most fish in. But the biggest fish are being caught on Spro bucktails. One customer told me his father had a fish 9 pounds and did not even come close to the pool fish. That day they had 11 fish over 10 pounds with the pool winner a 14 + pound fluke. Pat on the Adventure with his two sons caught 11 keeper size fish with 27 throw backs. They had one 8, one 6 and three 4 pound fish. Again they picked up all the bigger fish on bucktails with strip squid. Another private boat was out with 4 guys fishing Barnagate Inlet picking up over 100 fish with 18 keepers. Again they had allot of 4 to 6 pound fish most on chrome bucktails with strip herring and squid. Off shore the sea bass fishing has been very good with a few ling still mixed in. These boats are not going to far out to pick up 1 to 3 pound sea bass. But if you want to run way off shore the tuna fishing has been extremely good. Most everyone I talk to is saying that plenty of 20 to 40 pound yellow fin are being caught on the chunk.

Well that is all I have for you this week. Looks like a great weekend in store so I hope everyone get out and enjoys it. Good luck,

Bill
Old 08-28-2007, 09:25 PM

Thanks StriperJim
Old 08-28-2007, 10:45 PM

Ray there is a Wiper impoundment about 20 miles northwest of Milford Pa. in Eldred N.Y.

Artificials only catch and release. Sunrise Lake is the deeper lake with the hybrids. Live wells are in the rentals in case of a record fish.
An extremely good possibility here. The guys who run the place swear the next ones coming from there. They are aweful tough to catch but they have seen enormous fish boated as well. Should you want to fish it, reserve a day or two in advance.
Rental boats 80 bucks for 2 people 7:30 to 3:30 and 6:30 till 2:30 Saturdays.
www.eldredpreserve.com

Ps large and small mouth bass, crappie, perch, pickerel, panfish and hybrid stripers
Old 08-29-2007, 09:54 PM

Hey Jim,
Thanks I live in Bushkill and try to hit the river whenever I have time. I never have caught any Stripers but then again I have been fishing from the shore (Bushkill and Eschback boat ramps). I have had alot of lul with Smallmouths especially on the Little Bushkill. I usally fish it about a mile from the Delaware walking down to the mouth where I always pick up at least 4-5 fish on Repallas.

I actually have been up to Eldred to fly fish for Trout (nice place).

Thanks again for the info!
Ray
Old 08-29-2007, 10:17 PM

By the way the profile picture is my 9 year old sons first Blue Fish caught last friday (by the way he was one of only 4 Blues caught all night!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FishingAug07051.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	3219