Ask King-of-Oneil for fishing tips in the O'neill Forbay in San Luis, CA - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 03-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Ask King-of-Oneil for fishing tips in the O'neill Forbay in San Luis, CA

Looking forward to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Ask King-of-Oneil for fishing tips in the O'neill Forbay in San Luis, CA

I went out to O'neill Forebay for the first time ever today. We fished off the bank right at the entrance to check 12 where the string of bouys are. The bite was pretty much non-stop. I landed two under size but it was a lot of fun anyway. The only problem is that we had the hardest time hooking any with all those bites.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Official Member

KO and fellow fisherman,

I am in need of some help, I will be camping at Forebay this weekend. Its a family tradition, recently we started the "Annual Family Fishing Tournament" we have even gone as far as making a trophy. Basically the rules are whoever catches the largest fish wins not only the money but the trophy and bragging rights as well. I'd like to win this year and seeking help any advice.

I have fished all my life, but never been consistent nor serious about it. I recently started doing quite a bit of reading and would like to get some advice from some of the locals about Rod/Reels, Bait, spots, technique, and any other important information needed to catch the big ones!

Again I consider myself a recreational fisherman, I will be fishing off the banks. In the past I've gone with the Bait-Wait approach but with little success. This time around I would like to have a pole set for bait and walk around with another setup and use either lures/jigs/floats or whatever other foreign rig I will be new at :). I'm just not sure what will work nor have I ever used lures minus throwing and reeling. I just bought a brand new spinning reel/rod at the recommendation of one of the local fishing store. Here are more direct questions I have:

1) Rod/Reel setup? Length, flexibility, line and weight, reel.

I currently have a Shakespear UglyStick Lite, medium action, 8'6" with a Pflueger president 6750 with 14 pound test-line "Trilene XL" again this was purchased from what I stated I was fishing for "Stripers/Catfish" my second rod is a setup given to me; Lemiglas 6'6" with team Daiwa-S 2500CU 8 pound test-line "Trilene". I have a 30 day return policy if you guys think I should return the first setup let me know it wasn't very expensive (roughly $130.00).

2) Bait? Lures? Color? Technique? Totally clueless in this aspect, in the past I would use a 3ft leader with two #2 hooks and a 2oz sinker using anchovies as bait.

I will be running to another local tackle shop today and tomorrow and getting any advice I can use for this weekend, after some searching online I found this website and its been extremely helpful! keep in mind I've read through the beginner forums but for the most part it seems like its tailored towards saltwater stripers?

I apologize for the wall of text! I tend to write a lot when I am clueless.

PS: We will be camping at the Forebay side, we usually fish near the high speed canal

Thanks in advance,

JRfiss

Last edited by JRfiss; 05-25-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention the location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Official Member

We fished the forebay today and didnt even get a bite, pretty dissapointing for the family. We ended up leaving there and hitting the Canal where I go every weekend. Hit my favorite spot and pulled out 5 fish. My wife caught 2 good looking stripers.

The big ones are just not there this year. What gives??
Old 06-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Striper Hunter

JRfiss, I apologize for my late response. It seems you have already gone on your camping/fishing trip. If you are still in need of advice, please respond and I will be more than happy to help you any way I can.

I have already gone out a few times this year but I have not landed anything worth keeping. There seems to be a large school of under-size stripers in the forebay right now.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Striper Hunter

I was reading the questions about the legality of using the fishes in the waters you're fishing from as bait. I hope this helps (copied directly from California D.F.G. web site)

4.20. Bait Fish Use in the Valley and South Central Districts.
Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall not be used or possessed for use as bait in the Valley or South Central District:
(a) Live or dead golden shiner, fathead minnow, mosquitofish, longjaw mudsucker, and staghorn sculpin, and dead threadfin shad, Mississippi silverside and lamprey may be used in all Valley and South Central District waters except those listed in subsection (f) below.
(b) Red shiner may be used only in the Valley District north of Interstate 580 and Highway 132.
(c) Yellowfin gobies may be used in the Valley District only in those areas described in subsections (d)(1)-(3) below.
(d) In addition, except for trout and salmon, fin fish lawfully taken in the following waters by angling or with bait fish methods approved in Section 4.05 may be used only in the waters where taken: (1) Carquinez Strait and Suisun Bay and their tributaries and saltwater tributaries.
(2) Sacramento River and tidewater of tributaries downstream from the Highway 32 bridge near Hamilton City, Feather River downstream from the Oroville Hatchery Fish Barrier Dam, Yuba River downstream from Daguerre Point Dam, and American River downstream from Nimbus Dam.
(3) San Joaquin River and tidewater of tributaries downstream from Interstate 5 bridge.

(e) Live threadfin shad, Mississippi silverside and lamprey may be used only at the location where taken.
(f) Fin fish may not be used in Keller Lake (Glenn Co.), Letts Lake (Colusa Co.), Merced Lake (San Francisco Co.), Upper and Lower Plaskett Meadow Ponds (Glenn Co.), Whale Rock Reservoir (San Luis Obispo Co.).
Old 07-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Striper Hunter

I said I would post a picture of my first striper of the year but all of my catches so far has been unworthy of pictures. I have been catching many undersize and a few keepers only. I am planning on doing an overnight fishing trip this Friday and hopefully I come back with a fish worthy of a picture. :)
Old 07-19-2011, 01:02 PM
SWIMBAITER

Its july... Still waiting.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Striper Hunter

Are you fishing from a boat or from the banks? I've only gone twice to O'neill and am not convinced that I should keep driving the hour there paying the 10 dollars and driving back an hour to come up with non keepers. I'd like to hear some stories that are positive or see some pics to keep me energized about the place.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:30 AM
Striper Hunter

The Forebay has been HOT these last few weeks. I suggest you go check it out. :)
Old 10-31-2011, 12:53 AM
Striper Hunter

Are you out with a boat or fishing the shores?
Old 10-31-2011, 12:27 PM
Striper Hunter

Boat.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Striper Hunter

Ok King,
Planning on meeting family (they are camping) early next week and curious how things have been ? I will be staying in the camp ground near check #12. I have heard that the water has been muddy and better fishing has been in the lake...any truth there ?

thanks
Old 12-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Striper Hunter

I was at the Forebay today. Wind was HOWLING. Still managed to catch a couple stripers, but after a while it got so bad I had to leave.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamharvey View Post
Ok King,
Planning on meeting family (they are camping) early next week and curious how things have been ? I will be staying in the camp ground near check #12. I have heard that the water has been muddy and better fishing has been in the lake...any truth there ?

thanks

If you are fishing off the banks, I suggest bait fishing during the day. At night, I suggest plugs, jigs (striper candy), and swim baits.

Yes, around this time is when land lock stripers are most active. They need to fatten themselves for the coming winter. Night fishing during this time of year is best for stripers but the weather conditions can be brutal. I have no idea why you would subject your family to such extreme temperatures.

I have not gone out as much this year as I had hoped. Something always comes up during the weekends. I am hoping to get out there one time before the year ends and hopefully land a decent size fish.

Good luck, and please keep only 18 inches and up.

KO