Cumberland River Skipjack - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Kentucky
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 08-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Official Member

Default Cumberland River Skipjack

Just wondering if anyone had any advise about where to get into some skipjack on the river to use for striper bait. I have caught some here and there while trout fishing but have never found big numbers, although I have never targeted them either. I do most of my fishing out of Burkesville, so looking for somewhere close as I hear they are a pain to keep alive. Also any tips on netting some gizzard shad also. I know the only creeks you can throw nets is Marrowbone and Crocus but I have never tried so maybe some helpful advice for a man who goes to sleep at night dreaming about a trophy stripe on the cumberland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Cumberland River Skipjack

Went on river a few years ago w/ guide Greg Cary of Trophy Guide Service. We put in south of Burkesville, actually where the river goes over the road, there's a ferry to get cars from one side to other. You may know where that's at. we fished between there and Tennessee line. Anyway, we had to catch skipjack prior to fishing for striper. Small hair jigs tipped w/ chartruese tail. The rigs had barrel weights w/ swivel to get necessary weight to cast to bank. You are right, it's one skipjack at a time. Once all lines were baited, Greg kept skipjack in a tuna/bonita tube. He said a tube is the only way to keep skipjack alive. They will not keep in a bait tank, even a good one. Don't know, just what the guide told me. As far as gizzards, Greg's partner was taking another party on the river at same time we were going. The other guide was using gizzards and he had them in the tank prior to driving to the river. Sounds like it may be tough to catch the gizzards in the river? I did ask our guide why we weren't using gizzards and he said skipjack was the best bait to use for trophy striper. He thought the other party was also fishing for trout, which he said will take the gizzards. Hope this helps, Good luck on the river! Oh yeah, 1 fish, 25 lbs

Last edited by air1lch; 09-03-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: forgot most important part of blog, results of the trip!