Bluegrass newbie - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Kentucky
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 01-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Official Member

Default Bluegrass newbie

Just wanted to introduce myself to the group. My name is Glenn and I go by UpaCrick. I'm a Kentuckian that loves to fish the flowing freshwaters for just about anything that wants to bite, but in particular smallies. I enjoy making various lures from lead to wood. I first started my spiral into madness by making some fishing rods for myself. This was OK, but I wanted more "bang for buck" with the time invovled. So, I switched to lures. Started with in-lines, moved up to jig tying (bucktail and rabbit), then to lead pouring, and finally wood topwaters(don't ask about the 1 or 2 tries at crankbaits ). I have been trying to learn the ropes of what makes a wood lure work.

I don't get to fish lakes very often as I have no boat and little access to those who do, but I have caught a personal best Striper on Lake Cumberland of 37+" and a little over 20 lbs. That is a "Citation" fish here, but citations are not why enjoy fishing. It is more about the surroundings and the folks that you are with for me. I've caught a few "dink" hybrids on Lake Herrington in the past, but rarely fish there anymore.

I'm really excited about the freshwater section and of course the plug building area! I hope to learn some new things and give back when I'm able.

Best of Luck,
Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Bluegrass newbie

Welcome aboard

Where in Kentucky are you from (anywhere near Evarts?)
Old 01-27-2009, 03:17 PM

Welcome aboard Glenn!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the welcome.

Sudsy-How in the world do you know about Evarts? I knew some guys from Harlan county back in college. I live outside of Lexington in Woodford county, major thoroughbred horse country.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:10 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpaCrick View Post
I don't get to fish lakes very often as I have no boat and little access to those who do, but I have caught a personal best Striper on Lake Cumberland of 37+" and a little over 20 lbs. That is a "Citation" fish here, but citations are not why enjoy fishing. It is more about the surroundings and the folks that you are with for me. I've caught a few "dink" hybrids on Lake Herrington in the past, but rarely fish there anymore.

I'm really excited about the freshwater section and of course the plug building area! I hope to learn some new things and give back when I'm able.

Best of Luck,
Glenn
You caught that fish from shore? on one of your home-mades? Decent fish, nice catch. Welcome to the site.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpaCrick View Post
Sudsy-How in the world do you know about Evarts?
That's where my family's roots are. My Grandfather went off to West Point,career army, never went back.
I've always been curious about the place. Someday I'll go visit.

My great grandmother on the porch with her corn cob pipe

Click image for larger version

Name:	PipeGrannySarahSmithKelly.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	9642
Old 01-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Official Member

Sudsy- That picture is awesome!

Glenn
Old 01-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Official Member

Dark Skies-It was caught off shore so to speak. We were camping on the lake for a week and using one of the boats that was tied up to put our rods in the boat's holders. We were using live bait. We just stumbled onto a "pattern" where for about 4 days in a row from 3 pm to 5 pm, or so, the stripers would "stack up" off this small point that juted out before a straight stretch that was part of a "chili bowl" shape. We had seen all sorts of guide boats come by us, and head down the stretch and around the bowl pulling planar boards. It was pretty funny because the 5 or 6 of us would just sit in our chairs with beverages during "Striper Hour" as we called it and take turns grabbing which one or two of the 4 poles that would double over. If nothing happened after 10 minutes, someone would go re-bait the hooks and lob them out again. Needless to say, we were heartbroken come Thursday and the pattern shut down completely. But for those four days, we ate like Kings. Striper Nuggets, fried taters and onions and frosty pops! Lord I miss it.............

Thanks for the memory,
Glenn
Old 01-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

where's without a paddle?
welcome aboard glenn! louville..... ah yes...... basic training at fort knox,,,, came down from new york and was intantly liked.... till i was trapped in the gas house a little while longer than most.... or was it the poison ivy the drill sergeant introduced me to? i know, it was making me rear road guard marching up heartbreak hill, maybe going to the louville fair when i wasn't suppose to go off base and doin pushups till sr. drill sergeant got tired> maybe it was the,,,,,, i can go on and on but why bother, i had some good friends down there,. i can't say enough about louville, i would come down in a split second to get bass wiffin ya.....

Old 02-03-2009, 06:01 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

nice to have you with us.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:07 PM
First Mate

Welcome to Stripers247