World record Largemouth - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 05-06-2005, 08:11 PM

same here sole :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2005, 11:36 AM

Default re: Bucket mouths

I've caught a couple of good lg mouth. My biggest was 9.2 I put a photo on post with a couple real nice ones. The day of the photo was years ago
and I remember seeing the weirdest thing ever. I heard splashing coming from the spot i had a six something on a stringer. I didn't thing much of it
but took a look anyway. Nothing was out of place the six was on to about four feet splashing . I dragged her in grabbed her by the lip and pulled out two fish. A three pounder holding on tho the six for dear life .
The three had the six by the bellie ? I held the fish up high to show a couple of friends and eventually let go how weird is that. I still wonder what the hell that 3 was thinking . hungry or trying to save..? r lg mouth that smart that they would do something like that. I have seen fish that exceed the 20 lbs mark I'm certain of it . on one location I casted behind a submerged rock with a 10inch power worm blk. I was waiting for my line to tighten like I always do looking into the water in front of me . I was amazed when i saw the biggest fish i had ever seen in my life swimming right at me I was reeling like a banshie to try to catch up and when i did
she opened her 13 inch mouth and gently dropped me. I wondered for all these years if she had any intention of eating my bait or if she was moving it out of her nesting area.? On another location fishing with a bobber and shiner i watched a group of five fish all giants the first two were huge certainly over 20 lbs . They swam right by my shiner not even giving a glance . My shiner saw them and flipped . But they were just cruising on by . It makes me wonder what they hell they feed on.
Do they completely change there habits when the get that big .
These were two different pond one was a 200ft+ deep pond in mass .
they dug clay out of till they hit a spring. The pond holds a couple of cranes
that the owners couldn't get out in time.Because it had filled up so fast.
That pond had fresh water jellyfish in it by the millions.
The other one was the Brock ton reservoir were one of my friends made the news paper by catching a prehistoric fish that was believed to be extinct. I going to look up the name I saw it and it was freaking weird.
looked like a fat sea robin but black with teeth. He had it in a five gallon bucket and a park ranger walked up . Even the park ranger didn't know what it was . Ten mins later there was five rangers. One of them had thought it was a fish that was common in the twenties but had become endangered. none of them had seen anything like this thing . I'm going to see if i can find the article
Old 07-05-2005, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV
first two were huge certainly over 20 lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2005, 03:44 AM

Nice post CV. I'd like to think they get that big on the east coast.
The lakes around here I'd die happy with an eight or nine pounder.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:38 AM

Largemouth records
World-record bass boated in California
Largemouth tips scale to 25.1 pounds, then is released back into Dixon Lake
Mac Weakley, who early Monday caught a mammoth largemouth
on tiny Dixon Lake in southern California that he and his
long-time fishing partners Mike Winn and Jed Dickerson
weighed out at 25.1 pounds on a hand-held digital scale.
"I feel good, awesome, in fact," said Weakley, 32, of
Carlsbad, Calif, who used a white jig with a skirt and
rattle on 15-pound line to boat the brute. "I'm just stoked to see a fish that big."

He may have released her, but his intentions were good.
Now the question beckons: Will Mac Weakley be rewarded
with a world record for this 25.1-pound largemouth bass
he boated early Monday. That's Mike Winn holding the
Dixon Lake denizen.

Jed Dickerson claims the 21.7-pound he caught in 2003
(above) at California's Dixon Lake is the same 25.1-pounder
taken Monday by his angling partner Mac Weakley.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Lunker

God bless him for letting that big bitch go!!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 06:14 PM

Thats HUGE!!!

if i caught a LMB 1/4 of that sized id need new pants
Old 03-25-2006, 02:57 AM

I just watched the Espn Bass Pro tour on Lake Amistad, Texas right on the U.S. - Mexico border. No doubt that is the bass capitol of the world. Every fish they pulled out was huge. i thought they were stripers at first.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:08 PM

By Michael Agger
Slate.com associate editor. He can be reached at [email protected].

Bass nurtured in Southern California present a difficult philosophical judgment call. San Diego's reservoirs, have essentially been engineered to create record-setting fish. In the 1960s, a lakes superintendent imported the Florida strain of bass, which grows to larger sizes than the northern strains. What happened next was something of an accident: The Fish and Game Department stocked the lakes with rainbow trout, which turned out to be an ideal food for fattening largemouth bass. It's fair to ask, then, if these SoCal bass are wild fish or contented denizens of a very nice aquarium. In 1973, the first 20-pounder was pulled from San Diego waters. Much to the chagrin of prideful Southerners, the world-record bass is expected to emerge from a reservoir in spitting distance of avocados.
The current world-record situation gets worse, at least from a marketing point of view. Mac Weakley is not an aw-shucks weekend warrior but part of a dedicated, three-friend fishing team that has been pursuing the world-record bass for several years. The day before Weakley caught the 25-pound bass, he offered another fisherman $1,000 for a chance to cast at it. The fish had been spotted in Lake Dixon's clear waters. It was a bedding female, patrolling a nest where she planned to deposit her eggs. That's the big-bass game: A female that's full of eggs can weigh as much as 2 pounds more than a comparable, nonpregnant fish.
Here's where it gets a little weird. Weakley's fish had been caught before! Distinctive markings suggest that it's the same fish his friend, Jed Dickerson, bagged three years ago. At that point, it weighed 21 pounds, 11 ounces and was the fourth-largest bass ever landed. Weakley returned his fish to Lake Dixon, where, presumably, it's sulking and annoyed. The rumor mills have half of Japan getting on an airplane to catch the brooding monster. The world-record hunt has narrowed into an obsessive stakeout of one outstanding specimen.
Stepping back, though, it's hard to fault Weakley and his buddies. They are taking advantage of a local ecosystem that they've spent countless hours observing. And when you think about it, the distinction between what is "natural" and "man-made" long ago became moot. That's why the Internet chatter that connected Weakley's "juiced" fish to Barry Bonds' tainted home-run chase was revelatory in a way. It's symptomatic of a particular strain of sports blindness: We want our records to be broken in a "natural" way while we blithely ignore the unnatural circumstances that allowed them to be broken in the first place.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Matt Williams, For The Daily Sentinel Sunday, April 02, 2006
California's Mac Weakley has elected not to pursue having the biggest largemouth bass ever caught certified as a new International Game Fish Association world record.
The fish in question weighed 25.1 pounds, nearly three pounds heavier than the 74-year old world record caught from Montgomery Lake in Georgia by George Washington Perry.
The huge bass was reeled in from 72-acre Dixon Lake in San Diego County on the morning of March 20 after Weakley accidentally foul hooked it with a jig.
Weakley released the fish after photographing it and weighing it on a digital scale not certified by the IGFA.
For those reasons, and the swarm of controversy surrounding them, the Carlsbad, Calif. angler has trashed the idea of attempting to have the bass certified as a new world record.
Probably pretty good thinking. Here's why:
The next IGFA world record largemouth will be a potential golden nugget with fins. The angler who catches the mighty fish stands to make a mint in endorsements, possibly millions if he or she plays their cards right.
To fully capitalize on the goods, however, the angler needs to be sure the catch is squeaky clean.
The fish needs to be caught in the mouth. Not in the head, tail or side.. The weight must be certified. Ideally, the bass should be kept alive and retained, at least long enough for the right people to authenticate the feat.
There is no reason to believe Weakley's bass didn't weigh 25 pounds, possibly more.
Photos drifting around the Internet depict a truly spectacular fish. It has eyeballs the size of 50 cent pieces and a belly that looks as if there is a bowling ball trapped inside.
The angler holding the fish (Weakley's friend, Mike Winn) copped a serious scowl as he strained to raise the heavy fish with one arm.
I have never seen a 25-pound bass. But I have been within arms reach of an 18 pounder, several in the 14-16 pound range.
Weakley's bass is larger. Much larger.
How much bigger? We will never know that for certain.
Weakley and the two friends (Jed Dickerson and Winn) with which he was fishing that fateful day released the fish back into Dixon Lake before anyone could retrieve a certified scale.
The angler said he chose to release the fish because he didn't want to kill it, and because he didn't think IGFA would certify it as a world record due to the fact it had been foul hooked. He later learned that the automatic IGFA disqualification applies only to fish that are intentionally foul hooked.
Weakley and everyone involved with the catch claims the bass was not foul hooked on purpose. The big bass was reportedly huddled around a spawning bed in about 12 feet of water. A smaller male bass was nearby.
The anglers took turns casting to the bigger fish. Weakley happened to be the one holding the rod when the bite came. He felt a thump and jerked. Unfortunately, the hook buried in the bass' back, just beneath the dorsal fin.
News of such a big fish coming from California didn't come as much of a surprise.
Largemouth bass have a long history of growing fat and sassy out there. The Golden State has produced nine of the 10 heaviest bass ever recorded, including several over 20 pounds.
Nor did it come as shock to learn the angler was unable to close the deal.
Potential world records have been reported from California before. But it always seems like there is some sort of strange hitch in those Western fish stories.
Someone will surely get it right someday. Maybe. Until then, the late George Perry can rest easy. My guess is his record is safe for at least another year.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:38 PM

This is the state historic marker on Highway 117
between Jacksonville and Lumber City,
about two miles from where the record was caught.
This is not the record fish.
Perry, a poor farmer from McRae, Georgia,
neither took a photograph of his fish nor
had it mounted. He simply caught the fish,
had it weighed at a country store, took it
home and ate it.
George Perry

Largemouth record List
Old 07-05-2006, 12:09 AM
Lunker

Default Big fish in the Brockton area

Hey CSV, that little spring fed pond you're talkin' about, is it off Spring Street in Holbrook? I use to fish there as a kid. Caught some nice bass there over at the excavator at the end of spring lane. Also there are some nice fish at the res in D.W. I fish Massasoit State Park, The Nip, and Morton Park mostly now though.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Lunker

Default More info on the fish CSV was mentioning.

I remember the news article. There were two caught there within a couple of weeks. The fish your buddy caught is known as a Bow Fin (A.K.A. Mud Fish). They are numerous in Lake Okachobee, and can be found in Lake Champlain. It was probably transplanted there by some jerk that doesn't reallize that the fish could destroy a good fishery if it became established where it has no natural predators. Hopefully those were the only two, although I fear that they weren't. Look them up on the net. They are a fascinating fish.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:50 PM

That picture is not the actual fish. thereis no actual photograph of the actual fish and it was wieghed with 2 witnesses (friends) and was later eaten
Old 11-19-2006, 05:54 AM
First Mate

Default Re: World record Largemouth

I have 4 over ten on the wall, with one 13.6 oz that dwarfs the the 10's. All from the Cooper River and Lake Moultrie in SC. I caught two of these in BASS events. A 20+ is just plain huge!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes13lb6ozWeb.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	164  
Attached Images