Ask King-of-Oneil for fishing tips in the O'neill Forbay in San Luis, CA - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Ask King-of-Oneil for fishing tips in the O'neill Forbay in San Luis, CA

Just got in..... Landed a nice one (22in and released) about 5:00 pm on a spook and by 5:30 it was so bitter cold we stopped. Went back out this AM just before sunrise and the top water hit was nonexistant near check #12. Fished until lunch with shad/anchovies and just palyed with a few very small fish. Going back tomorrow to fish with dad a little more since they are up there all week.
Thanks for all the help

Went back up for the evening and fished from about 4:00 to 11:30 pm. All three of our fish were caught on anchovies (19-23in). I threw everything I could artificial at them with no luck although I did have a nice mud hen on the line for a few seconds !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Ask King-of-Oneil for fishing tips in the O'neill Forbay in San Luis, CA

I'll more than likely be out there Saturday. :)
Old 01-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Striper Hunter

King of O'Neil--would love to hear any tips about stripers in SLR/Forebay.

New to the forum--retired last year in Livingston, 45 minutes north of the SLR/Forebay. Have a 15' alum Valco boat w/ 20H.P Mercury and manual downrigger on stern. Got an annual pass/boatpass for the res/forebay.

Went to the res last week. Based on a tip from a friend, I stopped at the bait shop on hiway 33 in SantaNella and picked up 6 jumbo minnows ($9 for a half doz.!!!!!!outrageous price).

Got on the lake at 7:30. Fished two lines--stacked on the one downrigger--the bottom one at 40' down, and the top one at 25' down both jumbo minnow baits following 3 feet behind a silver dodger.

About 9am trolling between the goosehead point and the dam, got a big hit on the bottom line--lost it before I could see it. I believe the bottom line may have tangled with the top line--a risk you take when stacking two lines on a single dowrigger cable.

About 11:30, got hit on the top line and pulled in a striper of 21" (don't have a scale but had a ruler). Then, nothing until about 2pm and got hit again on the top minnow--another striper--24".

This is my first posting but since I've got the annual pass, I plan to fish nowhere but the res and forebay about once a week and will post frequently.

Randy
Old 09-16-2012, 02:05 AM
Striper Hunter

So, striper pros,

i dont know about the north vs south, but i do know the central valley rules for inland striper fishing.

I am an ex monterey bay commercial salmon troller and now 80% of my fishing is done trolling the "big lake", and honestly, i throw back anything thats under twenty pounds. Like k/o i have goals too.

I have developed a new technique for fishing the duct and mendota. And i have been hammering them with it.

Only works if water is moving.

Tie on a walker deeper diver, a 9" snubber, with a four foot leader to a 1/2 - 1 oz bucktail. Set diver on three so it moves away from you in the current.

You can fish different depths by raising or lowering your rod and paying out or taking up line.

Another method is to use bridge crossings and lower your diving rig (set on zero) in and move side to side on the bridge so you can present your lure at different depths as well as cover the channel from one side all the way to the other, nearly effortlessly, in complete control of your bait.

Heavier baits in fast current and lighter ones i slow water. (i said lighter, not smaller).

I guess you could call it "still trolling". Cuz after all these years, im still trolling!!!!!!

I will let guys know some good spots if there are enough replies to this post.

P.s. More "big lake" trolling techniques to come.

By the way.... The forebay is for carp fishing........
Old 09-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Striper Hunter

Is there any difference with color? Diver or bucktail? When you are referring to "bridge" crossings, are you talking about the ones cars drive over? I'm not dumb, I just thought it was illegal to fish from the bridges.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Striper Hunter

My friend, these tips are invaluable and very much appreciated. I like the tip about the minnows, which, at the bait store are $1.50 EACH. But I don't know where "check 12" is at the big lake????

Randy in Livingston
Old 09-18-2012, 01:07 AM
Striper Hunter

G9 the crossings (bridges) i am referring to are the ones where the duct and canals go under a natural flowing river, stream or any other waterway for that matter.
There is usually a "check", "gate", "lock", on the upstream side of these waterways that cause a major disruption of flow and actually divert the water downward. Thus giving all fish the ability to swim near freely, under the flow and pick their prey.

Google maps, or whatever mapping site you prefer, will reveal these diversions. Seriously, i slam em at these spots. Linesiders, cats, crappie, american shad and even black bass.

Hope this helps you out, im sure it will.......
Old 09-18-2012, 01:17 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyevers View Post
my friend, these tips are invaluable and very much appreciated. I like the tip about the minnows, which, at the bait store are $1.50 each. But i don't know where "check 12" is at the big lake????

Randy in livingston
about check 12 randy,

shes over at the forebay, and shes truly a bounty of bait.

Also.....
If you like to fish fast water, every species in numbers is in the channel from the check to the mouth when the gates are open.

Check g-maps its where water flows into the forebay from the north end. SAN LUIS CREEK CAMPSITES AT THE FOREBAY. YOU CAN PARK AT THE CAMPGROUND P-LOT.

I WAS TARGETING CARP AND HIT A 30#ER. MY SECOND BIGGEST CARP EVER! ALSO BOWFISH A MESS OF EM THERE EVERY YEAR,.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:54 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g9s8r View Post
Is there any difference with color? Diver or bucktail? When you are referring to "bridge" crossings, are you talking about the ones cars drive over? I'm not dumb, I just thought it was illegal to fish from the bridges.
i always use a chrome or silver diver and white or chrome baits on bright days and gold or chartruce baits on cloudy day

doesnt really matter what you throw as long as the size and color are right