Sharks - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Sharks

Is it true that surf fishing attracks sharks? And you should not swin in an area that someone is fishing for fear of shark attacks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Lunker

Default sharks

Hey Lucky5:

from what I have heard if it's dusk or dawn & you are using bait instead of lures you could attract sharks. Sharks are always around you are in the ocean. I was fishing in south carolina with mud minnows & a 5ft black tip shark swam around me looking for the bait but did not attack me. He was chasing mullet right to the shore. Most sharks will not bother you unless it's a bull sharks then you might have a problem.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:48 AM

IMO, a lot depends on the temperature of the water (where you're located), the water depth, and clarity. In Maine, where we do most of our swimming, boating and fishing, I never worry about such things mainly because the water temps are usually too cold in-shore for the more aggressive shark species. I'm more on the look-out for shore-line bluefish blitzs than sharks when the kids are in the water.

But run out to the gulf stream, drop a chum slick in the water, and no way I'm I going in for a dip.