Upcoming Public Hearings - Mandate Circle Hooks & Prohibit "yo-yo" rigs - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 10-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Default Upcoming Public Hearings - Mandate Circle Hooks & Prohibit "yo-yo" rigs

MarineFisheries Advisory
October 11, 2011

NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARINGS:
HOOK AND LINE GEAR RESTRICTIONS IN THE STRIPED BASS FISHERY
MANDATING CIRCLE HOOKS AND PROHIBITING YO-YO RIGS

Under the provisions of M.G.L. Ch 30A and pursuant to the authority found in M.G.L. Ch. 130 ss. 17A & 80, the Division of Marine Fisheries (MarineFisheries) and the Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission (MFC) have scheduled two public hearings to accept comments on proposed changes to 322 CMR 6.07. To promote the conservation of the striped bass resource by reducing the discard mortality associated with certain hook and line gears, the Division of Marine Fisheries is proposing the following actions:
  • Mandate the use of circle hooks. Traditional J hooks are often swallowed by striped bass causing internal damage and increasing discard mortality. Circle hooks have demonstrated the ability to hook the fish in the mouth and thereby decrease discard mortality rates. Consequently, MarineFisheries is proposing to require both recreational and commercial fishermen fishing for or in possession of striped bass to use circle hooks when fishing with whole or cut natural bait.
  • Prohibit the use yo-yo rigs. Yo-Yo rigs and other similar gear that use natural baits rigged with embedded weights not attached to the terminal tackle increase discard mortality when striped bass swallow the bait and the associated weight. MarineFisheries is proposing to prohibit the use of this gear by both recreational and commercial fishermen.
Two public hearings have been scheduled:

November 29, 2011 at 6 PM at the CoCo Key Hotel and Water Resort, 50 Ferncroft Road, Danvers, MA 01923.
November 30, 2011 at 6 PM at the Radisson Hotel Plymouth Harbor, 180 Water Street, Plymouth, MA 02360.

Public comments will be accepted until 5PM on December 2, 2011. Please e-mail all public comments to [email protected] or [email protected] or send to 251 Causeway Street, Suite 400, Boston, MA 02114.

For further information please contact Jared Silva by phone (617-626-1534) or through e-mail ([email protected]), or visit our website (www.mass.gov/marinefisheries). You may obtain a copy of the draft regulations here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Upcoming Public Hearings - Mandate Circle Hooks & Prohibit "yo-yo" rigs

Please take a moment to read over the above notice and post your thoughts here in this thread. I am planning to attend one of these hearings, and am curious what the general concensus of the membership here is on this subject. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2011, 03:32 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Upcoming Public Hearings - Mandate Circle Hooks & Prohibit "yo-yo" rigs

I for one like the idea of circle hooks. I have been using them exclusivley for bait fishing for the last 7 years. My gut hook rate however is far above advertised. I still get about 50% gut hooked, if I'm using Gami octo circles. The rate is actually higher in stripers. The hook gets lodged in their throat behind the shell breaker plates
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 09:57 AM
swabbie

I don't use circles as much as I should but this would ensure that I do. Yo yoing is not something I allow on my boat - it might be legal but your harming the fish and the environment when you use that technique. I support both proposals. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Striper Hunter

I call horse shit, I am all for this, but what about the trawl boat issues. why are we being regulated and they kill thousands. And don't forget they do it out past the EEZ as well.