Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Spinning Reels for surf rods

26K views 72 replies 12 participants last post by  Screaming Drag Scot 
#1 ·
Spinning reels for the surf.

The two most popular are the Penn Z series and Shimano baitrunners. Most models are under 100 dollars.

I prefer the 704 Z series Penns. They can take mucho abuse, sand in the gears, salt not washed off of them, you can even get away with stepping on them, They can handle 300 yards of mono, and its easy to repair the bail when and if you bust it. (the 706Z is bailess, also harder to find) and they can bring in a horse without burning your reel up.
My preference, about 85 bucks.
The smaller spinning reels 4600 and up start at 50 bucks all the way up to the 9500 at 115. my other favorite (too heavy for plugging with. )

The shimano baitrunner is about 120 bucks. Another very good reel, You have to keep it clean and oiled.
There are some cheaper reels out there but you do get what you pay for. My 2 cents.

#54 ·
Striper777 said:
why do people use a smaller setup for plugging off the surf??
When the fish are in real close during the Fall Run, you dont need a big 10+ foot heaver to get out to the fish. In the Fall, atleast here along the NH coast, the Stripers are chasing Peanut Bunker right along shore, and I have caught Bass 6 feet in front of me in the rocks. When the actions real hot like that, waders arent even needed. I use various 7' light and medium setups when the fish are in close.

When the fish are in the heavy surf and need to be "reached", I use 8.5, 9 and 10' surf rods. I'm not really into anything over 10 feet anymore.

#57 ·
Depends on the time of summer and what the conditions are striper777. Look first to see whats running, what their feeding on ie....peanut bunker, herrin, etc...... means the difference between plugs, plastics and Kastmasters and Krocodiles. Various rubber lead headed eels are great mid summer along with Tube&worm rigs. If i myself is going to use a plug, it will be a floater. with all the other rigs out there, theres almost no reason to ever use a swimmer or a diver....plastic shad took its place easily. If your throwing plugs, work your casts in a clockwise motion, always changing spots but always coming back to where you started. If your going for Blues.... take the front set of trebles off for better release, we all know how much bluefish are maniacs when you get um out of the water.

Clambellies for me, are the best bait out there, second only to fresh eels. Use them in the morning, use them in the night, whatever. stripers will hit clambellies no matter what. When you can put a clambellie in a bucket of water, and it floats, its no good. if you buy quantity, freeze them in brine/water mix....when you thaw them out, they will be harder than when you put them in.

Hope this helps a little my friend.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)

#58 ·
I learned some good info from that too... :D Thanks Briggs...

...I guess you could call me surfcasting impaired...

...I have pulled some decent fish from the surf tho...I'll try to put a pic...

One question for briggs...If you could only have one plug with you what would it be?

#59 ·
Well thats easy but you might laugh.....A Simple old, "Gags Grabber Popper" Floating, Rattling, noisy sob. 5 inch, 1.5oz, chrome.

It Floats so you'll want to work this baby slow most of the time. short popping bursts work for me. i've been hit by stopping it for a second and then continueing my retrieve. you can hear it working and popping. I dont think you CAN retrieve these things wrong. another thing i learned is to keep working it until its on land basically, i've been splashed by getting wacked right in front of my face, they follow it in and their last act of vengence is to slam the hell out of it, scares the hell out of me every time hahaha. some of my biggest stripers have come out of 3 feet of water, working this popper in front of eel grass.

So Yea, nothing really extravagant for this fisherman.

This plug will also make blues go nuts, i save all my old ones just for this purpose.

:twisted: Craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

#60 ·
I guess you dont get much Pogie up past Block island. I just love bunker. Heads especially. Eels next. Bloodworms and sandworms.
Clams in the sand though.

Love these things Craig.

#62 ·
thanks briggs.u never let me down :D

i will have to try that clam trick i have used them before but had no luck and i dont think they were a good batch.

i was thinking about trying to nite fish this summer a little bir from the surf does anyone ever have any sucess with that??

thanks agian-mike

#64 ·
Night fishing is 90% of what i do in the summer. clambellies are the bait of choice. Small(2") glowsticks work better than bells on the tip of your rod....headlights are a must. Learn to tie knots in the dark. dont wade in too deep when all you can do is HEAR the waves coming. and don't forget to stop for a minute and checkout how beautiful it is out on some summer eves. gotta love not knowing what your pulling in.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

#66 ·
#68 ·
Mike If your lookin in that price range the one in the picture to the lower right is a better reel.
Daiwa? Emcast? Plus Big-Water Reels. Its a long stroke reel and supposedly will hold the braid better. It looks like an interesting reel.
Some people hate Diawa though. Before you go out and spend your money give me a heads up and Ill get you a reel of choice at wholesale cost.

#70 ·
yes of course. We have a business account with the distributer. I couldnt be bothered with setting this up as an ecommerce site it would drive me nutso.
I dont get out to fish enough as it is. just Pm with with a request.

#72 ·
No Mikey they have most models Of Penn okuma Tica Diawa Pflueger shimano. all the name stuff. lots of closeouts.
Maybe we'll add a contest or two for a shot at winning one. 8)

#73 ·
I've had Shimano's, Stradics, and Sustains. Both nice reels. And, have caught several large stripers on both. They both hold very good amounts of line. Especially if you're using braid. I also have a Tica Taurus 4000. This is an awesome reel for the $$$!!! I've caught tons of stripers 40+"s on this reel. I have it on an 8' St. Croix. And, use it regularly in the ditch!! Its been holding strong for 6 seasons. With minimal maintenance. Freshwater wash, and lubrication. I also just purchased an Accurate Platinum SR20 Twin Drag. I have high expectations for this reel. All T6061 aluminum construction with stainless steel gears, and springs. It also has a titanium main shaft. Pricey, but I think it'll be well worth it!! Hope you find the right reel for your pole! And remember you get what you pay for

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.