Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Favorite "go to " bait

Favorite store bought Bait?

35K views 49 replies 41 participants last post by  vegeta123450 
#1 ·
Wondering what most folks find to be their personal favorite bait.
This is for Casting from shore (any shore) for whatever you fish for.
What bait do you buy the most of?

#4 ·
No Fear moved and rebuilt.

If I had my choice I would use live scup as numero uno every time.
Eels at night - but my go to all the time is pogie (bunker) noggins or fresh cut chunks.
Sand worms and bloods early in the spring with clam bellies.
Bunker generally doesnt work as well as clams until later in May.
Ohh and cant forget live herring in the spring. They can be store bought. cool_blue.gif

#37 ·
That would be me too, I rather Snag my own bunker, Thats after plugging BIG wood...ain't nothing get the adrenalin flowing like seeing a cow pounce a popper after trailing it for 20 yrds at the end of the jetty, or tail slap your Danny or Metal lip in the pocket on the stop. Mamma Pajamas swings around and takes it down and out to sea, With me wondering if I can hop to the tip of the jetty with my korkers before she cuts me off on them mussel beds and I have to replace another 25 dollar fish catcher. Thats why I fish Stripers.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

Fish Whisperer

Attachments

#18 ·
The biggest stripes I've seen caught were on eels. I also find it is hard to beat FRESH mackeral. All cut bait should be stored on ice (crushed or cubed), I even like to keep it bagged so the melting ice does drain out the scent.I never fish frozen unless I have no choice. Also keeping the bait fresh on your line will improve your chances. All the little things you can do adds up to a large improvement in your odds of catching fish.

#21 ·
I cant stand baitfishing either but after a while I cant stand period.
I cant stand getting skunked early spring even less so i do use bait and im not ashamed of it.
I do however love bunker noggins for big fish especially on those dark quiet nights when everything slows down.

You suck at polls seems to be gaining some mometum floats.

:banana:

#31 ·
Ah gaspereau, down here we know it as alewive, landlocked herring species of Atlantic Herring. The large ones are sometimes pretty hardy and we would use them up on the Hundson around Newburgh along with sand worms and cut bait/chunks. I don't even think we can use them there anymore, we could for a while if they were certified but not sure now.
I used to be able to get get larger Alewives from the lake but got none this year. I'm sure it's due to the commercial netters, they took 558,400 fish for the year of 1996 which was up about 150,000 from the year before. I could not even buy a bigger one this year, heck I don't think I saw any for sale.

For the sand I would say chunks and eels w/worms following after them. Much depends on time of year and whats available

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.