Tags
reels surf
19K views 62 replies 24 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
Shimano Spheros
Daiwa B/G
Abu 6500

#27 ·
Not at all,I've seen a couple people on the site having some trouble,I've got a couple Okuma reels,lovin every cast with them,same with my dad,he's got a few all trouble free.But like anything if you happened to get one not up to snuff it's a big turn off from the product.

#28 ·
Hi everyone.....

Khary.......The 560 Slammer is a phenominal reel for sure. It takes a beating and hasn't failed me yet. My first 560 a couple years ago, had a broken part inside, so i had to open her up. The part was fixed thanks to Jimbo and the reel lives and works today. when i opened the casing, i didn't really find alot of sand. what there was for sand was minimal....and trust me, theres really no love when it comes to handling my reels. they fall in the sand and surf and get knocked around in the truck alot.

first of all, i'd make sure the screws in the casing are tightened right up. if they seem to be tight already, take them out and pull your casing off....make sure to do all this over a white or light board....if and when any cogs fall out, you'll be able to see them and any other shavings or broken parts. clean the casing cover well and wipe where the two peices connect all around. then run your finger around both parts...check for burrs or any kind of a small dent or dig where water might "seep" not run...through the parts. if you find anything....take the finest file or wet sandpaper (220 grit+) and even out the edges....be very careful to do this very even and very softly......don't dig a hole you cant get out of by sanding or filing to much. you just want to right whats wrong. Unless your fishing with a VanStall or something similar....your going to get a little sand....no biggie. the casing should be taken off at the end of every season anyway just to make sure theres enough grease on the cogs and pin. You'd be amazed how easy it is to clean and desand a slammer once you get that cover off and look inside.....once you do it the first time, you'll be a pro at knowing what goes where.

I hope this helps a little my friend.

Sorry i haven't had alot of time guys. i got myself sliced so thin...when i stand sideways, i disappear. when i get a question like this in my e-mail though....it will always be answered. i just dont have time to sit on the site and trust me....it pisses me off, you have no idea. i always loved this sight and i always will. How can ya beat great people, great posts and a great atmosphere? You can't man. I miss sitting here and reading every damn thing. used to take me hours and i loved it. I'm gonna see if i can't get my face on the front page again hahahaha. new shirt new bigass striper hahaha.

so i'm going to close this post like this............

The winter was cold this past year.
Its the cold in the spring that i really fear.
one week to go before i start this show.
no boat yet, but you guys know where i'm gonna go.
They're migrating past Maryland right about now.
If you listen close, you can hear my cow.
Set free at almost 50.
i'll be snaggin that bitch back in a jiffy.
So do you think your ready to go?
Is your rod ready to bow?
With lines tied and tackle packed.
Lets Kick their Asses...WHO'S GOT MY BACK?

cool_blue.gif Tight Lines Everyone !!!! cool_blue.gif

:notworthy: craig aka briggs :notworthy:

:notworthy: aka surfcastermaster :notworthy:

headbang.gif Master Of His Own Domain headbang.gif

#29 ·
Hey Briggs thanks for the response.
I think It must have been a few lose screws or something. it was fine up until the Vineyard incident. I did take it apart that day and the sand grains in there were kinda big. I'm going to break it down again following your procedure to make sure its 100% before the season starts.
thanks again
Khary
headbang.gif

#30 ·
Re: Okuma

Lucky420 said:
Does anyone else hate Okuma's as much as I do?
bye.gif I've yet to see the made in China reel that I like.

I have quite a few that I fish regularly, most are old school but some are new. Keep in mind I have two boys so I need enough gear for the three of us.

Spinning:

PUM = Mitchells term for MP - Manual Pickup

Mitchell 396 PUM - 20# Fireline
Mitchell 496 PUM - 14# Fireline
Mitchell 498 PUM - 30# Stren Superbraid

Penn 706 Greenie - 14# Fireline but I'm going to try the new Ande 30# braid on it this season
Penn 706z - 20# Fireline

Penn 704 Greenie MP conversion - 20# Fireline
Penn 704 Greenie with bail - 20# Fireline

Penn 710 Greenie MP conversion - 20# Fireline

Crack 200 MP - 14# Fireline

Abu Cardinal 6 - 14# Fireline

Daiwa SS 2600 - 20# Stren Superbraid but I'm going to try spooling it with 30# Ande braid. We'll see how that works out.

Daiwa SS 1600 - 14# Fireline

Conventional:

Plugging and back bay clam chucking:

Abu 6500 Mag Elite - 30# Stealth

Shimano Te 400 Conquest - 30# Stealth

Bait chucking beach:

Abu 7000 - 50# Stealth

146 Squiddah, magged, Accurate frame, Newell Spool, Power handle - 80# Stealth

146 Squiddah, magged, Newell bars and base, Penn aluminium spool - 65# Stealth

Livelining, boat and bridge

Abu 8600 - 50# Stealth - livelining

Abu 7000 C Big Game (black) - 65# Stealth - this reel can do everything

Abu 6600CL - 20# Stealth - fluke and weakfish reel

Aby XLT 2 LM Synchro - 10# Stren Superbraid - Fluke reel

Daiwa 250 Millionaire - 10# Stren Superbraid - fluke reel

Penn 350 - 100# PowerPro - boat livelining

Penn 140 Squidder, Newell bars and base, Penn aluminium spool - 80# Stealth - boat and beach whole bunker chunking

Here are my favorites the Shimano and the two baby Squidders:

#32 ·
Be honest I've never tried the 525 and from what I hear it's a great reel.
I put the 146's on my vintage Harnell so it just feels right.

#35 ·
Briggs said:
i just dont have time to sit on the site and trust me....it pisses me off, you have no idea. i always loved this sight and i always will.
Hi Craig. !!! :notworthy: Your the best dude. Glad to see your happy and healthy. Great to know things are well.
We're not going anywhere. cigar.gif Hope your season is awesome. :) :cheers:

#38 ·
striperjim said:
I Just bought a new Daiwa sealine x 30SHV. May get to practice casting with it tomorrow.
Jim, you might want to look into this - it's the rage with OBX guys

Daiwa Magnetic Conversion Kit for the Daiwa Sealine X20SHV and X30SHV reels. Change your Daiwa Conventional Reel to a Mag Reel in Minutes. Comes with the Left Side Cover Plate, Thumb Screw Mag Adjustment, 4 Rare Earth Magnets, and a Loud Clicker already assembled. Magnetic Drag Increases Casting Distance and Eliminates Back Lashing.
One Year Warranty. Price $65.00 each.

#39 ·
zimno1 said:
my buddy has a harnell and it is real old and it;s green and black, i don;t get to see too many but i would love to put my 525 on one and cast it.
Very cool, I'd love to see that - I never knew green ones existed.

#40 ·
suds, he;s so damn proud of that rod that it's insulting. for an old salt he casts just as far as me with ease. i believe its a slosh on the pole. he's a boat sharpie that comes to the pier by me regularly. i never figured the attraction but then again he knows what i've known about the area for a long time. he calls me from time to time to fish with him but i move alot and only when i;ve had rough days at work will i sit on the pier to relax with a stogie. got a pm from ed before, he;s still coming, you guys still in? drizzle is on the menu but bassy don;t care if i;m gettin wet

#43 ·
[rant] I used to use an Okuma Epixor 65. Fell in the sand ONCE, had to take it in for repairs. Got it back, like new. Fell in the sand a second time--same crap. I can't believe a reel falling three feet into wet sand is enough to break it! [end rant]

Now I use a Shimano Baitrunner 4500. So far, so good. No stripers on it yet, but I only got it in August last year.

I also have some Shakespeare that came with the combo setup my buddy recommended for me when I started out. That thing hit the sand a bunch of times, got dragged to the ocean, fell off a boat to the bottom of the bay (to this day, I don't know how the guy picked it up off the bottom--he reelled it in HOOK to HOOK!!) and the thing still works good.

#45 ·
Jim, u will like that SHV......just as easy to cast as the abu 6500's, but it is much tougher (pretty tight...doesn't let the salt in so easily) and has a very powerfull drag, unlike my 6500 that I have to do all sorts of thumbing to bring a big striper in b/c of the weak drag. The mag kit sounds interesting, but for now I'm ok.....I have two now....one for the surf and one as a PB reel.

#46 ·
Suds said:
Jim, you might want to look into this - it's the rage with OBX guys

Daiwa Magnetic Conversion Kit for the Daiwa Sealine X20SHV and X30SHV reels. Change your Daiwa Conventional Reel to a Mag Reel in Minutes. Comes with the Left Side Cover Plate, Thumb Screw Mag Adjustment, 4 Rare Earth Magnets, and a Loud Clicker already assembled. Magnetic Drag Increases Casting Distance and Eliminates Back Lashing.
One Year Warranty. Price $65.00 each.
I must have missed this post Suds. I had it out the other day and Demetrios was showing me the internal drag adjustment. The shock leader knot was a bit of a hindrance but after a few casts, some were even acceptable. There is a bit of a curve here for me as I just love spinning reels. Im thinking about the 6000T for long casting.
I still chuck the baitrunner and the Z's much further than the conventionals. I'm waiting on a custom breakaway 4 to 12 stick to pair a long caster with it. The x30SHV or the 6000T will be the ticket. I just have to practice with the multiplier and find a lower profile shock knot. The mag system is a must for the reel as it may save my thumb. :)

Thanks Guys. thumbsup.gif

#47 ·
Jim, to save your thumb, I just use one of those cheap cotton gloves that u can buy at gas stations etc. Which knot are u using? I use the albright...and yahh it takes practice to get it small.

My easiest conventional to use is the 525 mag with Tres's extra mags added (I guess u could do it yourself)....it's the most I've ever spent on a reel....but no thumbing required except for splashdown and it's much easier to thumb than the shv b/c the gear box is tilted forward.

http://www.hatterasoutfitters.com/

#48 ·
Thanks Chin

I used a uni to uni knot similar to a blood knot. I also tried the seaguar knot. Too big. Knots
I suppose the lowest profile knot would be the albright like you said or Albertos modified albright. Some guys coat em with glue. I tied the uni to uni because I didnt want to lose the plugs I was throwing. i lost one anyway on the 710 due to the bail closing. I was pissed. Some day Ill get it right. Just takes some more experience. My lazy ass has been baitin and waitin for years. Alls I did then was catch fish. Now that Im getting more knowledge alls I do is get skunked.
sign10.gif

#49 ·
Jim, try the crazy Alberto knot. There's a bit of a learning curve but once you learn how to tie a good one it's the only braid to leader knot you'll ever use again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.