Potomac Report - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > DelMarVA
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

DelMarVA Delaware, Maryland, Virginias, the Delaware River and Bay, Chesapeake Bay area. Regional discussion & reports.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Potomac Report

Fished the Potomac on Sunday from Graveley Point to the Chain Bridge, No sign of Herring or Shad in the River, Didn't see a single baitfish jump all day even in the early morning hours. Fished some of the useual hotspots looking the Rock and came up with nothing but Cats. Was fishing Chunks of Gizzards on the bottom near bars, rocks and drop offs. Even tried trolling that whole stretch of the River with Chutes and DD 22's and no bites, but then again I think it's safe to assume if theres no Herring in the river then their would also be no rocks. Gonna give it a shot again late this week to see if anything has pushed it's way up that far if we get some warmer thems this week. Anybody else fishing this stretch yet? Or even the Lower Potomac?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Lunker

Default Re: Potomac Report

Why are you posting the same exact thing in 3 different sections at the same time? I am pretty sure you did the same thing a few days ago too.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Striper Hunter

Trying to find people who are fishing the Potomac and maybe not everyone looks at every board, why else would I do that?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Striper Hunter

Don't see why thats a problem
Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 AM
Official Member

new guy here. we were fishing a catfish tournament on sat the 26 th, at ft washington. and we got a 36lb 42 inch striper. we were using cut herring. i marked alot of stripers on the sonar.
one of my guest with his fish.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Striper Hunter

I had talked to another guy who fished that weekend also and showed me that same picture, he said he was using cut gizzard shad, was it an outgoing tide? Doesnt look like it was too early in the morning.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Official Member

it was outgoing, around 10 am.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Fisher of Men

I'm a newbie to striper fishing and to this site. I have enjoyed reading the posts you have made Riverrocker. I usually fish from Leesylvania State Park off of their pier. Do you have any recommendations on how to fish more specifically for the stripers than the usuall catfish? Also, I am planning on fishing from Fletcher's Boat House this next week for the first time. I do most of my fishing without a boat are there any spots at Fletcher's you would reccomend I try? I know a lot is all about timing but if you have any helpful information for a newbie I would really appreciate it.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Striper Hunter

There are lots of spots to fish from the shore @ Fletchers, I useally walk down the trail across the bridge towards chain bridge. If you walk down a good ways you will find some islands that will be accessible during low tide and give you the opportunity to cast into the current and eddies of the river. Try using a fishfinder rigs with live perch or herring on the bottom during outgoing or incoming tides. I like to use a 2 oz weight so the rig stays on the bottom but still drifts with the current.