Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Tracking the bass up the coast 2011

18K views 70 replies 18 participants last post by  rcullan 
#1 ·
I was wondering if there was a post or something that the striper fisherman up and down the coast can post where the fish are on their journey. I'm suffering from the worst case of cabin fever right now and I need bass! I live in staten island and I know they are a few more weeks out but if we could post what vicinity they are in every once in a while I think it would be a great thing. :clock:

#4 ·
Re: Tracking the bass

Track the water temps. They'll start biting about 45 degrees.
Full swing 54 to 64. Look for the bait.

So far, there has been a lone striper caught up at the Forked River power station that was checked in at Absecon Sportsman Center.
Water is still too cold, fish are lethargic at the lower temps. None at the traditional first fish locals in Jersey.

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/index.html

#12 ·

Track the water temps. They'll start biting about 45 degrees.
Full swing 54 to 64. Look for the bait.

So far, there has been a lone striper caught up at the Forked River power station that was checked in at Absecon Sportsman Center.
Water is still too cold, fish are lethargic at the lower temps. None at the traditional first fish locals in Jersey.

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/index.html
Thanks Jim

#6 ·

Chris
You will find them showing first near the south shore on the island around the river mouths. Those mud flats near the creek warm up first.
Paulie usually has a good fix on when they show. Hes out after St. Patty's day.

#10 ·

Yea the fishing out here really sucks. I've been checking out NJ a lot actually, manasquan inlet and island beach state park looked nice. Better than sitting on sharrots pier. I did see a few places out here while walking the beach that looked nice but looks and actuality are two different things.

#11 ·

past few seasons can be attributed to alot. one of my pet peeves about fishing regulation is that early spring girls show up 5-10 miles out and usually are on some kind of bait before heading up the hudson. they don't stay there long but,, the short time they are there they are targeted by headboats/comm's/and a crapload of rec. fishermen. all of which are limiting out!.. by the time april 30th comes,,, there have been a substantial amount of fish culled from the waters.... now if anyone has a clue as to WHERE i am talking about knows that this is illegal. and who the hell is enforcing the law? not one soul imo.. so, when asked "hey zim? when is a good time to fish?" if your not in tune with the wherabouts and the weather pattern likelihood of this species your days turn to weeks without finding fish. i wrote numerous posts about spring migrations and what to expect but i can't believe the blatant disregard for the law and the lengths people will go to just to catch this magnificent beast... it's just a matter of time before we see a repeat of the seventies... the cards are stacked against these creatures. bluefish for christ sake are now in jeopardy if you can you believe that. so tracking the migration of these fish have a detrimental effect if you ask me. it's only the past few years that the eez has been a candy store for every tom dick and harry out there. strength in numbers and the odds of getting caught are slim as it doesn't take that long to limit out so the only ones leary are the party boats as they have to stay in the eez a little longer to make everyone happy. it's a shame but i saw it with my own eyes. and that's not including what i couldn't see with my binoculars another few miles out. you;d be amazed at the amount of scumbags out there.... well, enough ranting.. there are fluke and herring being caught now. so soon enough there will be some resident fish parading around. couple of weeks before any bunker are (visible at least) but can only hope the bunker situation is as strong as last season. that made for some good fishing when i was able to get out. see you guys next month

#14 ·
Following the fish NJ 2011

Online tackle shop real time reports.

First fish weighed in at Capt Daves shop
March 2, 2011 = Nick Nastasi brought an 18.2 pound whopper into the store about 10:30 (3/1/2011) that he caught in the Waretown area before dawn. 2 more keepers on the second and 3rd where brought in. The second on a black sluggo.
The reports from the rivers is that there are already a good number of willing shorts so it is only a mater of time before some of the bigger fish get hungry.
Absecon Bay sports center
VERY SHALLOW AND WAY IN THE BACK
Absecon reports
Riptide In Brigateen reports
Betty and Nicks Barneget Inlet
Grumpys Seaside Park New Jersey
Scotts Bait and Tackle reports Mystic Island

#16 ·

Grumpys report the rumors of shorts out front and keepers out back.
The back bays always warm first shorts will run along the shoreline for a week or so the same way on S.I. and fill in the back. Wont be long. The guys catching are the die hards. It rained like 6 inches with a coat of ice on top last night where i am. I dont want to go out too early and burn out too quickly. If your itching -fish those flats early evening on an incoming tide after the sun bathes them all day. It wont be long.
The warm surface water of the Ocean is carried in faster than the cooler water and out faster than the cooler water going out.
ttp://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=22347

#18 ·

now i thought the crokus was the flower but it is the dafodil that has to bloom. once these babies pop open then i get to fishing. every year on the day that happens i get a fish that night. it is all predicate on the migration imo. the moon phase will pull up the flower and on the day it sprouts open the fish arrive. it is not a wives tale or mumbo jumbo... it works and i have not failed when it happens. not to say the fish will not have arrived prior to that but it is my sign to hit the beach at nite. i've been told that they just bloomed in jersey(don't see how but...) and i got like two weeks or better before they bust open here so i will let you know when i go.

#21 ·

Zim I was hitting the beach by page tonight at sunset, I was using a popper. Is that the correct approach. Or would I be better using clam or chunks? I know there are some big mussel beds there so I figured its a good spot.

#24 ·

Sleep? I got laid off of work and am suffering the worst case of cabin fever ever... Clams it is!!!! I also was wondering can I drive to crooks point without a pass just to see what it's like before I decide to buy one?

#25 ·

no, if your out of work you don't need to worry about a ticket . if you drive down by the mouth of the harbor you may get a warning if in your vehicle but, if you leave it parked on the left hand side and walk to the beach you'd be taking a risk.

#26 ·
Re: Following the fish NJ 2011

RSS Feed
Tuesday, March 08, 2011
The first keeper striper was recorded today at The Tackle Box in Hazlet as Dennis Galvez of East Brunswick used worms at Cliffwood Beach to land an 11-pounder.
Capt.Chris De Stefano of Wall was watching in Belmar as the Ocean Explorer unloaded the biggest cod catch I've heard of from local waters. Capt. Bobby Quinn told him that over 500 school cod were caught, with the largest at about 25 pounds. Furthermore, those cod were caught on open bottom where whales were feeding on both small herring and sand eels.

Any Day Now!
Wednesday, March, 9, 2011 at 5:19AM
The beaches are still empty! It seems as if everybody is waiting for somebody else to get that first Bass! There are plenty of rumors of fish caught but there is no proof such as bodies. Judging from the number of phone calls asking how the fishing is, there is much more interest than there is participation.
Here is the weather idiots version of reality - Mostly cloudy and breezy. Highs in the mid 40s. East winds 15 to 20 mph.
Mike is still pacing the floor, impatiently waiting for the Seeker rod blank order to show up. Needless to say, he has been a pain in the neck (if not a bit lower on the anatomy).
Grumpy hisself

#27 ·
Re: Following the fish NJ 2011

http://www.scottsbt.com/fishing/report.htm
Thursday, March 10, 2011 /\/\/\ 5:29pm
The next batches of clam and bloodworms are due tomorrow. We do not have a specific time, it could be anytime after 11 a.m.
It's been exciting the past couple of days to see some anglers through the store anticipating the fishing to break loose anytime now. It's good to see the smiles and hope again. It is so much nicer talking about fish then growling about politics and the price of gas.
Word is that there was a peak water temperature at 46 degrees earlier this week. One lone angler had FOUR SHORT BASS up to 26 inches at Graveling Point during the low tide event of Sunday afternoon. Mullica River activity up at Hay Road is producing bass to 26 inches as well with a good showing of White Perch up to a pound and a half. Little by little the fish catching activity is picking up.
Sea Ya

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.