Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Tracking the bass up the coast 2011

18K views 70 replies 18 participants last post by  rcullan 
#1 ·
I was wondering if there was a post or something that the striper fisherman up and down the coast can post where the fish are on their journey. I'm suffering from the worst case of cabin fever right now and I need bass! I live in staten island and I know they are a few more weeks out but if we could post what vicinity they are in every once in a while I think it would be a great thing. :clock:

#30 ·
Re: Tracking the bass

no.....
i wanted to say something funny in regard to you having flowers but since we have not been formally introduced yet i will refrain from goofing on you in such a manner. some things make people angry or upset and would hate to be on the butt end of that sort of thing..

#35 ·

First keeper brought into Scotts at Mystic on Sunday.
http://www.scottsbt.com/fishing/report.htm

Sunday, March 13, 2011 /\/\/\ 1:21 pm

FIRST Official Keeper Bass CAUGHT!
Graveling Point 3/13/11 around 1 a.m. (weighed in 12 p.m.)
Tom McGeary 9.9# 29"

Really didn't hear much today action-wise other than the keeper. There was also a keeper caught this morning up in the Mullica River by a boater.
Sea Ya

#37 ·

Woodpro1102 said:
I think if someone gets pissed off because of something that was said THEY are the ones with problems. Kudos for holding back on the new guys though, let them get settled in nicely befor you scare them awaylaughing7.gif 03-12-2011 10:48 PM
zimno1 said:
Not at all... i have a habit of pissin people off even when i'm just kiddin. as a stately figure in this community i have to uphold some class and dignity.
NOT!
Basketball head? The Jersey Diaper? Assy Ferguson? Sandworms Pinch? The Dildarter? Zuess? 006? Baitbucketbob? Hammerhead? 4290?
:icon_stirthepot: who loves ya babe.

#42 ·

Basketball head? The Jersey Diaper? Assy Ferguson? Sandworms Pinch? The Dildarter? Zuess? 006? Baitbucketbob? Hammerhead? 4290?
:icon_stirthepot: who loves ya babe.
Hey how ya been Jim! You comin to Zim's freezout this year? hello.gif

...and would hate to be on the butt end of that sort of thing..
Rumor has it that's your favorite position. laughing7.gif

Not at all... i have a habit of pissin people off even when i'm just kiddin. as a stately figure in this community i have to uphold some class and dignity.
(or when you're editing their posts to make them sound like they said something they didn't....th_icon_splitform.g: the community that best represents your class and dignity brings to mind the crew from One Flew Over the Cukkoo's nest...:icon_biggrin: :icon_thelmutsalute:)

A few little fish here and there for you guys that can't wait to play with the 22" bass. Some bigger fish are mixed in, but very few. Some bait is on the move in major NJ bays and a few fish are being weighed in on artificials.

The Hudson is starting to wake up as well. Go get em, watch out for that "stately figure" Zim lurking in the darkness. :trink08: hello.gif

#38 ·
Re: Tracking the bass up the coast

Ok enough hijacking. I merged both threads Tracking the bass and following the fish.

So far there are reports of keepers in just about all the shops in south to mid New Jersey, albeit not many.
Down in Delaware -
Larry Jock at the Coastal Fisherman said he'd heard reports of striped bass moving into the bay at Ocean City. The tactic he recommended for the early-season rockfish was to troll the north and south inlet jetties with small bucktails.
With stripers reported in the Ocean City Inlet it shouldn't be more than a week or two before jetty and boat fishermen will be catching them in Indian River Inlet. The weekly report from the crew at the Virginia Beach Fishing Center listed good fishing on big stripers, with most fishermen in agreement that the fish are moving north toward their spring spawning grounds in the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays. Anglers fishing aboard the charter boat Gannet connected with limits of big rockfish within sight of Virginia Beach during the past week, with a 51-pounder caught by Jack Council at the top of the citation list.
BOB JONES
http://www.delawareonline.com

Brinkmans in Philadelphia reports that So far the price for his bloodworms has remained the same at $10.00 a dozen.
The first stripers were caught in pretty good numbers in the lower river last weekend. +
http://brinkmansbaitandtackle.com/reports.htm

#43 ·
I had something relevant to say about some of the list but I figured I would be um polite to the board bouncers. Good luck out there guys hopefully I am at minimum a month away from fishing and I am looking forward to what ever fishing I get to do this year.

Wassup Rich

#44 ·
ah yes. basketball...... not you mark.. the class of people i was recently talking about has just posted his one post in ages and outdoes himself.. do come to staten island... we have a tattoo parlor>soup kitchen>a slum neighborhood somewhere>a police station>and even homeless shelters as we accomodate everyone of your caliber. i'm sure you can find some clams and colt 45 malt liquor in your brown paper bag you whacko..

#46 ·
Brinkmans report
Friday March 18, 2011

I headed out with bloodworms and herring and fished 5 or 6 of my favorite spots. In 4 hours I did not have one single hit. Now the river conditions were not all that great. I was out at the top of high tide and the river was muddy but so full of debris that fishing was almost impossible. That lasted till mid tide then the river got much better. But still no fish. Now in this area they did catch a 31 inch fish up off Station Avenue with a few smaller fish. Down at the Tacony a customer picked up two 27 inch fish with a couple catfish. And further down river at Penn Treaty they picked up a couple fish 15 to 18 inches. So far that is all the stripers that I have heard of. Further down river Paul has been fishing every afternoon with bloodworms only to catch several catfish and eels. He said this is the earliest he has seen eels in the river since he started fishing. The Salem Canal has still been really good for stripers 20 to 29 inches.

Scotts Daily Report
Thursday, March 17, 2011 /\/\/\ 5:04pm
On Wednesday afternoon, there was a little flurry of short stripers right around the time of low tide. I did not have and feedback or weighins this afternoon which pretty much speaks for itself. Sixty degrees today and temperatures in the seventies tomorrow will help water temperatures and I would not be at all surprised for the action to break loose.
Two trips and three stops didn't locate any grass shrimp today. It just might be the clear water, but I think it has to do with the shot of rain we had on Wednesday morning.
Bloodworms and fresh clam resupply is due sometime on Friday morning. I have really loaded up and believe I am prepared for the first crowds of the season.
Still no sign of the Black Crown Night Herons. I though with the warmer temps they would be back this morning.
Green Crabs are ordered for the next time available; no crabs are expected for this Friday though.
Sea Ya
Grumpy's report
12 lb Bass last night
Thursday, March, 17, 2011 at 4:50AM
Finally, proof that the rumors we have been hearing are true!
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 Fuller,Oswald Bass 32″ 11.9lbs Plug

#47 ·
Betty and Nicks
3/17/11

Just wanted to give you a heads up on a few things for this weekend. I will be opening very early Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. 4:30 AM We will be getting fresh clams in the shell, shucked, and we will be getting more blood worms tomorrow as well. I will be repairing reels all weekend as well. If you are waiting, I should be able to get most everything done by Monday. Get out there this weekend, this should really get it going.

Yesterday's Report: UPDATED 11:54 AM It seems that another local and big time regular Dennis Vincent was fishing with Kurt at one time last night, and had contacted me on Facebook with a picture of his keeper bass in the front of the shop. I have decided to double the prize money for the first keeper of the year and give it to them both. Good anglers, and great customers. Congrats again and the season has begun.

#48 ·
Betty and Nicks
March 18,2011

Scotts Daily Report
Friday, March 18, 2011 It was a fun day at the tackle shop. Anglers were upbeat and thinking about fishing and leaving the rest of the world behind them. Action at the point is picking up. There is no steady activity, just a fish here and there. I know of three shorts that were caught mid afternoon.
Yesterday there was activity both at Pebble Beach and Graveling Point. One keeper of thirty inches was taken home for dinner by one of the veteran GP anglers; a thirty incher.
Clams and worms came in a little late in the morning. Both are in excellent supply for the weekend.
Sea Ya

#49 ·
Ok now before you read this please be advised that this was "told to me" and therefore I DO NOT KNOW HOW TRUE IT IS.... My buddy told me that some guys were fishing off their boat near Atlantic City and caught 300lbs of stripers... Can they be that far up here already??? Last I heard was that they were around Virginia. Any input guys??

#51 ·

Northwest winds will keep the waves knocked down and looking good, but won't help the water temps. Not really anyone fishing yet.

We are still hearing rumors of Bass caught but nothing shows up on the scale to prove it. We seem to have more people on the phone than we do on the beaches which makes it tough to give you current info. Early spring fishing always involves some searching so get out when you have some time and see how good/lucky you can be.
Grumpy's

#53 ·
Virginai beach fishing Center report

Fishing has slowed up a bit in the ocean and it seems the Striper have started to move back in to the Chesapeake Bay to spawn. Striper season closes March 31st so there's only 9 more days to try your luck in the ocean. Another option for fishing is right here in Rudee Inlet. We've heard reports of Speckled Trout and Puppy Drum starting to hit now that the water has started to gradually warm up. The most common bait we've seen people buy is cut bait, specifically squid and mullet. If you want to use artificial, gulp and any grub tail with a sparkle to it will work. Pretty soon we should start seeing the Bluefish and Spanish Mackerel show up off the beach since warmer weather is right around the corner!​

#55 ·
Old inlet
One small striper reported from the beach on Sunday!!
A couple of short stripers reported from the Broadkill beach area.

Scotts bait and tackle Fishing report
Friday, March 25, 2011 /\/\/\ 5:16pm Fresh clams and bloodworm status is good.

The temperature was in the forties yesterday; otherwise, it was prime striper weather. Craig --being the dedicated angler he is-- was able to find a keeper at Graveling Point.
Anglers are few and far in between due to the cold and the gusty wind. It's nice to know the bass are still here even know there was skim ice on the puddles this morning.
Sea Ya
Thursday, March 24, 2011 /\/\/\ 5:16pm Graveling Point activity on Monday afternoon was as good as anyone could hope for. There was just ONE barely keeper with a lot of shorts coming in off the ocean with the incoming tide. Mid week activity has been slow due to a lack of anglers. It's one thing to fish in crappy weather, but to stick it out with the wind howling and the occasional flurry of snow; that's got a really low fun factor.
Fresh clams arrived mid day and bloodworm status is good too with more coming tomorrow. No luck on shrimp as the rain has cut back on the catching.
Sea Ya

Store Hours (EDT)
CLOSED on Tuesday
Mon., Wed.- Sat. 7 a.m. till 5 p.m.
Sun. 7 a.m. till 1 p.m.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.