Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Post your set ups!

Tags
post set ups
45K views 107 replies 49 participants last post by  ChefBX 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i just wanted to see what set ups everyone was using, bait-casting or spinning or anything else ! I'm tryin to make a set up but there are just too many possibilities, hopefully this will narrow my choices down!

Thanks for your time,

J.C.

#4 ·
CC...I would call that anything BUT a "beginners morgashboard"...
That to me says, "Boy!, that kid realizes that he needs different set-ups for different conditions"...

...Personaly...I don't particularly like being called a beginner... angry4.gif

BTW>>> 800th POST...Hows that for a "beginner"????????

#5 ·
The only Penn reel I've had trouble with was the 7500 and 8500s . i used to use the 5500s all the time. They stand up to some good size fights for a smaller reel.
CC. I thought that post was from baitbucket Bob. Always pulling on his middle leg.

#11 ·
JC

A few words about rods over 10 feet. Car doors. CRACK!!!

If the surf is high and you want distance and accuracy by all means go larger. But if your needs are shore, pier and bank a smaller rod offers a little more versatility as well as being less weildly. (is that a word?) and the Shimano baitrunners are about the same price as the 8500 and 9500's. My 2 c. but thats just me. If your plugging big surf go bigger. Baitrunners dont like being dunked.

#12 ·
My "go to" rig for plugging anywhere - 10' Star Nickelite, Abu 6500 Mag Elite, 30# Stealth

Situational rigs:

Jetty plugging spinning - 9' 8" Lami SMB1123, Penn 704 greenie manual bail, 30# Stren Superbraid

Beach plugging spinning - 9' 10" Purglas 300-1, Daiwa SS 2600, 14# fireline (just traded some plugs for a Crack 200 to replace the Daiwa)

Back Bay bait - Japanese market 12' Daiwa 30-405, Newelized 146 Squidder (probably going to upgrade to an Avet Sx), 30# Stealth

Beach bait - 10' Harnell 542, Newelized 200 Surfmaster or Abu 7000, 80# Stealth.

Livelining/bridge fishing - 9' honey Lami 1215m, Abu 8600, 150# PowerPro, 80# flouro topshot.

#80 ·
My "go to" rig for plugging anywhere - 10' Star Nickelite, Abu 6500 Mag Elite, 30# Stealth

Situational rigs:

Jetty plugging spinning - 9' 8" Lami SMB1123, Penn 704 greenie manual bail, 30# Stren Superbraid

Beach plugging spinning - 9' 10" Purglas 300-1, Daiwa SS 2600, 14# fireline (just traded some plugs for a Crack 200 to replace the Daiwa)

Back Bay bait - Japanese market 12' Daiwa 30-405, Newelized 146 Squidder, 30# Stealth

Beach bait - 10' Harnell 542, Newelized 200 Surfmaster or Abu 7000, 80# Stealth.

Livelining/bridge fishing - 9' honey Lami 1215m, Abu 8600, 150# PowerPro, 80# flouro topshot.
I've added a few since this I originally put up that post.

Montauk and all around plugging and eeling - AFAW 11' Estuary, Penn 706 for Montauk, Daiwa 5000 Surf Saltiga for Jersey beaches, 30# Ande braid - casts a mile, my favorite setup by far.

River jigging - Lami 9' Triflex, Abu Cardinal 870, 50# braid (forget what brand) - setup is heavy but tough as nails

Retro beach and Montauk plugging - 10' Fisher 8720, Penn 706 Greenie (Drilled out by a machinist friend and refinished by the Reel Restorer), 20# Fireline

Light plugging - 9' Arra XSRA1084, Daiwa Team Advantage 4500, 20# Stren Superbraid.

Medium Plugging and spook chucking - 9' 6" Lami XS 96 MHS, Crack 200, 20# Fireline

Pencil popping - Lami 1321M, Penn 706, 20# Fireline

3 Allstar BreakAway LDFC 119-2 (2 conventional, 1 spin)
One conventional
used for bait, Penn 146 Squidder with accurate frame and handle and 65# Stealth braid
One used for heavy plugging, Shimano 400 Conquest with 30# Stealth braid, also have a black 7000 Abu Big Game with 65# Stealth when I want to use it for bait.
The spinner is set up for bait with a Shimano 12000 Thunnus and 50# braid (forget the brand)

Fly - Redington RedFly 8 weight 13' spey rod, Ross Canyon Big Game reel
Sage 1090 DS 9 foot 10 weight, Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor V reel

Just for goofing around with heavy bait - 11' yellow glass Lami and an Alvey 650C5, spooled with about 3 miles of 20# Trilene.

2 Otter sit in kayaks set up for fishing for the kids and I'm looking to buy a sit on top setup for myself before spring.

Also a couple of boat and freshwater rod n reel setups and I'm sure some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Total rod n reel count, over 80 :pbdoi:
Damn - I think I might have a bit of an issue here

#13 ·
striperjim said:
JC

A few words about rods over 10 feet. Car doors. CRACK!!!
If the surf is high and you want distance and accuracy by all means go larger. But if your needs are shore, pier and bank a smaller rod offers a little more versatility as well as being less weildly. (is that a word?) 8) and the Shimano baitrunners are about the same price as the 8500 and 9500's. My 2 c. but thats just me. if your plugging big surf go bigger. Baitrunners dont like being dunked.
I was just about to say the same thing, when I read jimmy's post. If your on cape cod where the beaches go out gradual, Then I would want a 11' 13' rod, but if up in plum Island wereit drops off fast, allyou need is a 9.' or 9.6' rod. I like smaller then bigger myself and lighter.

#14 ·
15' Diawa Eliminator...Penn 9500ss...30# Powerpro.

2 12' Abu's....9500ss...etc etc....

11' Diawa 9500ss

3 10' 9500ss-8500ss

3 9' Diawa Eliminators...8500ss...30# on all

9' Okuma Solaris Surfcaster....Penn Slammer 560 series...30#PP

6' 6" St Croix....2 Penn Conv...60# Powerpro

Various blanks and various spare reels.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)

#16 ·
jsnc87
Just Hatched

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:29 am Post subject: <- Beginner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand surf fishing, but my question is, is a spinning set up better than a baitcasting set up ? I want to go for stripers in the S.F Bay Area, i hear people telling me to buy a good bait casting reel with a nice 9-11 foot med-heavy rod. And then i have some more people telling me to get those huge 12 footers with a good spinning reel! What is more ideal for me and what works the best? I want to use lures, so i should get a good baitcasting set up right ? Thanks for your time guys n gals !

This was his first post.

#18 ·
I have a few different setups, but far and away my favorite is:

9' Seeker BCSW Triggerstick(wish they still made em)
On this rod I usually fish a Daiwa sealine X 30series with 20lb. P-line or if the situation requires it my good old Newell Frame/Spool kitted Penn 500 Jigmaster loaded with 30lb. Maxima Green. This is a decent casting setup with the Daiwa on it....I can throw 3oz + bait around 140 yards off the beach. That is usually enough to get me where I need to be.

#19 ·
10'lami-okuma epixor eb65 with 50#pp
8' tice jetty rod with okume epixor eb40
7'6" st. croix with shimono calcutta ct400-30pp
7'6" shimano cialas,shimano baitrunner-30pp
12" lami, van stall reel-50pp
just my go to rods way!!! to many others to list
gotta have different rods for different baits and presentation plus different conditions. You can never have enough gear. also have a great surf cart with rod holders that hold my gear and make the treck out to the honey holes much easier. :D :twisted:

#24 ·
Singletjeff said:
with 20# Vanish Flourocarbon.
How's your luck been with the Vanish?
Mine was horrible. I had 3 reels spooled with it in different tests for a Florida trip. Every time a fish hit, the line would snap as though it were as brittle as glass and I run a fairly soft drag.

I don't trust the stuff now and from what I hear I'm not the only person with this opinion.

#26 ·
11 ft work horse with a penn 320gt 65 # calcuta braid. 12 ft lamiglass heavy 1 to 6 oz casting with a penn 320ld 300 yards of 85# calcuta both not good for casting but great for wenching in what ever might pick me up.
I dont think you need great expensive equiptment to catch fish ,you just need to know the stuff you have in and out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.