Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Post your set ups!

Tags
post set ups
45K views 107 replies 49 participants last post by  ChefBX 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i just wanted to see what set ups everyone was using, bait-casting or spinning or anything else ! I'm tryin to make a set up but there are just too many possibilities, hopefully this will narrow my choices down!

Thanks for your time,

J.C.

#52 ·
that nuke rod looks good for battling 13 ft tiger sharks from the beach. What a montser of a rod.

Below- large redfish falls victim to the emblem xt in Cape hatteras, the true surf fishing capitol of the world.
<----- to the left, 40 pound striper, another victim of the emblem xt.

#54 ·
Count me in. Wow, how long does it take you to get to the point from manassas va.? When i lived in maryland I used to deliver to manassas,clifton,fairfax, and alexandria. Know northern va like the back of my hand. From alexandria all the way to the blueridge mountains. All very nice towns.

#55 ·
Depending on traffic it takes me 3 1/2-4 hours to hit the Bridge out to OBX, then once there it can take up to 2 hours to get down to the point. I'd say on average about 5-6 hrs, because of gas stops (my truck drinks gas like I drink beer) food, tackle etc. I always try and plan my trip so I can stop at Greentop (sporting goods store north of richmond) to pick up some frozen bait and fresh live eels. Sometimes we get rooms in buxton, other times we don't even worry about it and just take turns racking in the truck. I'm thinking if we make a trip it would have to be in the next 4 weeks.....2 of which I have my daughters one of which I am on call LOL....could be really tight. If nothing happens with this weather, those big girls will be on thier way back up the coast before we know it. Its been way too warm this year.

#56 ·
Toe
The Breakaway Ldx is rated 3 to 6 ounces and weighs only 16 ounces. Looks like a winner. 13 Feet and sturdy.
I'll most likely opt for the heavier meat stick. something like 12' 6" and rated to throw up to 12 ounces.
Hopefully I'll have some mad money at the end of the month.
Maybe I'll sell some reels. cool_blue.gif

#57 ·
Damn son! I throw some big wood around but 13', 3 to 6 is gear for throwin tree trunks !
That and the leverage factor of 13' of rod pulling down on you will whoop you quick plugging.

99% of the time surf plugging outfits will max out at 11' and 2 to 5 oz. The Arra 1322 comes to mind when I think of throwing big plugs. (pencil popping rods not included, they can be in a class by themselves)

#58 ·
Suds In their their advertizements they claim that the 16 ounce rod will cast so efficiently that fishing all day long won't put a strain on your arms or body.
I have to consider fatigue with everything. I'll stick with the lightest possible setup for 1 to 3 ounce plugs and go for the meat stick for '8 and bait'. The lami 1208 works for plugs. I just dont get a great cast with the kenai rod and an abu 6500. Or at least what I think that setup should cast like.
Its time to retire the ticas.

#59 ·
Casting yes, you can throw it effortlessly over and over. It's the standing there holding it tip down at the water while slowly retrieving a plug for hours at a time that'll really wear on your shoulder joint.

After blowing out my shoulder playing beach vollyball a few years ago I've unfortunately had the pleasure of learning all about fishing and shoulder pain bored.gif

#61 ·
13'-2" All Star 1507 with Fuji Lowriders, Daiwa Tournament Surf Basia, 20lb PowerPro running line/65lb PP casting leader.
11'-9" factory Breakaway, Daiwa Tournament S6000-T, 20lb PP/65lb PP.
11' St. Croix Ben Doerr, Daiwa Tournament S5000-T, 20lb PP/65lb PP.
10'-6" St. Croix Ben Doerr, Ambassadeur 7000C3, 17lb Suffix
10'-6 Loomis Surf Series, Daiwa SS2600, 20lb PP
10' Lamiglass Surf King, Daiwa 3000SSII, 14lb Fireline
9'-6" Cabela?s Fish Eagle, Daiwa SS2600, 12lb Suffix
9'-6" Kunnan Advantage, Ambassadeur 6500 Daintree 12lb Suffix
8'-6" St. Croix Ben Doerr, SS2600, 14lb Fireline
7'-6" Loomis GL-3, Daiwa SS1600, 14lb Fireline
7' St. Croix Ben Doerr, Daiwa SS1300, 14lb Fireline

#64 ·
500M can be a tough one

Best I can do is Newellized Surfmaster 200.

I built it up by combining the best parts of 3 reels and adding new parts where required so some parts are new, some are used. I've never gotten around to using it so I'd consider it partially used and very solid.

The bars, base, and bushings are Newell. The bars are aluminum (and almost impossible to get) and used, they have surface marks and could probably used a good buffing. The graphite base with stainless foot is brand new and the Newell Teflon bushings are brand new. The spool is the Penn aluminum spool, which I actually prefer over the Newell, it's also brand new, I still have the box. The rings, star drag and screws are also new. There is absolutely no pitting or green stuff on the body of the reel.

The one part that could probably use upgrading is the handle - I left this one on as it came from an old timer friend who, back in the day, beached a few 50's with it - I left it on hoping it would carry some Mojo along with it. He no longer throws conventional (arthritis in the hands) and gave me 2 of my 3 Surfmasters (I added the Newell stuff)

I can also throw in an approximately 400+ yard spool of 50#+ braid to load it up.

#66 ·
reelin rod said:
11'-9" factory Breakaway, Daiwa Tournament S6000-T, 20lb PP/65lb PP.
Reelin is the s6000 the saltiga spinning reel? Im looking for a fit for the 12' 6'. Perhaps the sealiner x50 SV casting reel be a good fit. Its 19 ounces. I see a lot of guys pair the 30 xsv with the 11'9" rod.

#67 ·
No, the Tournament S is a Japanese / European market only, long distance casting spinning reel series.

Don't know how old you are but back in the mid-80's Daiwa sold a reel called the Tournament SS-9000 Millionmax. A NIB one sold last month on ebay for $470.

This is the same reel with a slightly shallower spool (still holds 300 meters of 25lb mono). With the introduction of the Basia this reel has come down in price. I have seen it on a UK tackle site for about $220 + shipping. It is an incredible "big fish" reel. 3.9-1 ratio, 10 disc drag that locks at 15 kilos (33lbs). Here's mine. The spool is 45mm long, same as the Basia.

#70 ·
Bump

Go to .
Lamiglas 10' Surf & Jetty XS10MS paired with a Penn 706 - VS 250
Ron arra 1084 with a vs 150.

Bait
Breakaway Custom for spinning and casting SU1509 ( 4 - 12 ) paired with a Daiwa Emblem Pro 6500 / Daiwa slosh 30
St. Croix saltwater spinning 2 -6 MH - Shimano baitrunner 6500

Boat Penn 6' 6" Slammer - Penn 320gtI
Fresh water River
Lami Kenai abu - 6500C

#71 ·
Surf
Lami 10' Ron Arra 3/4-2 1/2. with a penn 560 slammer
10' ugly stick custom surf as a back up
10' 6" ugly stick custom surf for bait
650ss as back up
and a 6500ss courtesy of striper jim as back up
7' G-loomis pro blue for light surf and boat.
7' offshore angler w/abu 6500 c3 for boat bait.

Next is going to be a one piece custom for the surf, and a VS.

#72 ·
cheapo set up works for me

This year I fished from the surf mostly, 2 dead sticks in the water, set up about 30 feet apart, using fresh bunker chunks. I am new to this, my first year of serious fishing. . After about 3 months of using my cheapo set up I went out and bought a shimano bait runner 4500 and a nice diawa 10ft surf rod
The other stick I bought at a yard sale for one dollar!! it appears to be a handmade, (custom made?) 10 ft medium surf rod with a cracked guide that I did a quickie repair with some epoxy, the base handle is also showing signs of cracking. mounted to this ONE DOLLAR rod is a $39 penn silver series reel. Now here is the kicker....every striper I caught this year (7) and about 90% of the blues I caught were brought up on the surf with the Cheapo setup. Just a coincidence? Im afraid to upgrade and let go of the busted rod and cheap reel!! I was thinking of getting my lucky 99 cent rod overhauled.....LOL!!! :frustrated:
PS anyone know how much it runs to recondition a rod? new guides, reel seat, and grips? where I should get it done? I live in staten island ny...............

#73 ·
one abu garcia 10' with a master spin reel. 30#pp
one pos uglu stick 10' with a shimano baitrunner6500 30# pp
rebuilding the ugly stick this winter,also rebuilding the rod the master reel came with for a conventional set up. it is 10' any suggestions on a good conventional reel?

#74 ·
Hmmm, without checking (for shore fishing);
11'8" lami w/ ABU 6500 & 17# silver thread (plug/ lt. bait)
9' lami w/ 450 Shimano & 20# Trilene (plug)
10' Tica w/ Penn 525 Mag & 30# Silver Thread (heavy bait)
10' ABU workhorse w/ converted 7000 ABU & 30# silver thread (heavier bait)
8' fenwick w/ 6500 ABU & 17# Silver Thread (light plug/bait)
10' Fenwick w/ Okuma #10/11 & SA'SW 11 wt. Floater /sink (streamers/poppers)
9' F&F Custom w/ Okuma 10/11 & SA's SWT 12 wt. sink tip (weighted stuff & droppers)
8'6" Fenwick w/ pflueger & Cortlands 8 wt level/DT (for rolling) (anything in tight quarters)
There's more, but basicly they're my go to's when I get out and about.
Oh,,, can't forget the little 6' heavy FW (whatever it is) with the 5500D ABU and 17# for dock / canoe work (utility rig, droppers, etc.). (shame on me).

#76 ·
Figured I'd join in,

10'6" 1267C Surf Series G Loomis w/ Calcutta 700TE w/65# braid
use:

C.C.Canal ~ eel drifting,plugging & jigging.

10' ASRC100MH Avid Surf Series St.Croix w/ Calcutta 700 w/ 65# braid
use:

C.C.Canal ~ eel drifting,plugs & jigging

10' ASRS100MH Avid Surf Series St.Croix w/ Fin-Nor 16A Ahab 65# braid
use:

Plugging and eel slinging beachs

9' ASRS90M Avid Surf Series St.Croix w/ Fin-Nor 12A Ahab 65# braid
use:

Pluging,stickbaits and jigs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.