Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Post your set ups!

Tags
post set ups
45K views 107 replies 49 participants last post by  ChefBX 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i just wanted to see what set ups everyone was using, bait-casting or spinning or anything else ! I'm tryin to make a set up but there are just too many possibilities, hopefully this will narrow my choices down!

Thanks for your time,

J.C.

#27 ·
At the moment.......

2 6' 6" Okuma Tail Walkers, dressed with Penn Senators, wrapped with 50-80lb test Leadcore Line.

and now i always keep my Custom 8.5' Ugly Stick, in the middle rocket launcher....just incase something wants to show itself to me hahaha.

:wtg: craig aka briggs :wtg:

aka surfcastermaster

:wtg: MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN :wtg:

#28 ·
I agree sudsy

Sudsy, that Vanish stuff is junk. First off florocarbon as a main line if you're casting is not fun. Too much memory and too stiff. It's fine for flipping. I used the vanish for leader material and it broke at the knot when it shouldn't have many times. I've had good luck with Carbon pro (expensive and tests weigh over the supposed poundage) and "Triple Fish" is good too and is cheaper.

#29 ·
I agree - Vanish sucks.

I was a Seaguar guy untill this year when I decided that $150+ per year for leader material was a bit out of hand. Switched to Triplefish and Ande Flouro (Stren flouro line for uner 15# leaders) and have been very satisfied with the results.

#30 ·
Triple Fish is good

Hey Sudsy, I'm using triple fish too for salt water. In saltwater where lots of fish have teeth it's just too expensive to go through a roll of carbon pro. The only time I use the seagar/carbon pro are on my steelhead/salmon trips in the rivers a couple times a year b/c nothing compares to it in strength/diameter which really matters often when steelhead or salmon fishing.

#31 ·
Not meaning to come off sounding like a know it all but I've noticed two things.

One thing I noticed is many like the Penn SS reels.Why?These things are horrible.Bail flip on the cast,extremely weak anti-reverse,no ballbearing line
roller.The 1st two faults are very common in the 5500ss and smaller models hence the intro of the SSG models at an inflated rate.The Slammers are OK but why buy one when you can pick up a Shimano Spheros for less money and still have a better reel?As far as baitrunners go Shimano's is which all others are judged by.Before you say "Penns are made in the USA" you might
want to not say that.ALL Penn spinning reels are now made overseas with the exception of the 704/706 whose future is debatable.

As far as Floro leader material goes Seagar is simply the best.If money is an issue when it comes to your leaders you might as well just be using regular mono.NEVER skimp on the leader.

#32 ·
I use Ande flourocarbon, havent had a problem with it yet, so why stop.

My new fave rod has to be my 8.5' (custom length from a 10') Ben Doerr St. Croix surf rod. Since the tip was shortened, I can heave a little more weight with it. It loads up SICK, so now I can cast FARTHER with LESS weight, which is a plug for me when I am fishing the "Rock Bowls" along the coast and the depth of water is less than 10 feet.

And like Briggs, I love my 8.5' Ugly Stik custom InterCoastal.

#33 ·
re: where r u going to fish

I use penn 320 gti and a new 320gti Ld on a 10 and 11ft lamiglass two piece. 85lbs braid 400 + yards. And a 15 pound sett drag. It makes draging in any fish under 20 pounds kind of boring. but makes for alot of confidence with cows on the other end. :minigun: were's that 50 hiding let me at her.

#34 ·
My go to set-up for plugging & eeling is a 10 ft Lami GSB1201L teamed with a Penn 704Z. 50 lb. Powerpro & 40 Seaguar leader.

For back bay plugging my favorite set-up is a 9' GSB1081L teamed with a Penn 710Z. 20 lb. fireline & still the 40 lb. Seaguar leader. This is one fun stick to use. I really enjoy the fight using this set-up.

I too just bought a spool of Triplefish leader material - I got twice as much leader for just a couple of bucks more than a lot less Seaguar. Seaguar is good but pricy. Just tied up some rigs with the Triplefish so I can't comment yet on how it performs. I'm sure it will be fine though.

#35 ·
setups

i just bought two 8ft 6in uglystick custom graphites 1-5 oz 6-14# med action. theyre super light and travel well but best of all i get teriffic casting distance.

i bought the first one for pluggin but now i chunk with em also

i have them paired with shimano baitrunners (4500 & 3500) currently but will be upgraging this winter to some highline reels ive been eyeing on a japanese site.

all my reels are strung with 30# power pro

i have a dozen or so other set ups including salt and fresh water but these are now my standard.

#36 ·
Since my first post in this thread I picked up a Lami XS 101 MS. Without a doubt the most versitile rod I've ever owned. Paired with a 706 and 20# Fireline it's great for everything from eels and jigs to Bombers, pencils and big wood.

#37 ·
For Surf Fishing I use an old 10 foot diawa with a Penn 7500ss filled with 20lb stren high impact, Great for striper spawning season, when the big ones are in there.

For the Jetty for Blues and Stripers 9 Foot Penn Power Guide Series Surf rod, got 2 extra eyes put on it with a 6000 Penn Captiva(which is in the mail back to penn with an angered letter since I've gone through 2 of the same reel in a 2 month period) but I use my other Penn 7500ss spooled with 50 lb Spiderwire now

For The Jetty for Taug and other bottom fish I either use My Jetty Pole or an 8' Berkely Big Game which is a great pole for the price helped me get many a taug in for a cheap price, nice stiff back bone with my Captiva Spooled With 50lb Raptor

Going to need to get my 7500 spooled up this weekend since the captiva is gone, how is Stren Super Braid? I'm thinking of trying it i've heard alot of good things

#38 ·
currently a live liner on a penn spinfisher (9' 1-5oz) for plugs and light bait. Ocean master 10' 4-8 for bait.

But I'm making the switch to plugs so I'll be redoing my line up.
same penn rod w/ a 704/6 for wading and throwing mono(rocks)
amtak glass blank w/ a 710 for light plugs and wading when throwing braid
heavier amtak glass blank for jetties w/ a squidder
croix rated 3/4-4 for general plugging-when i stay dry matched w/ an abu 6500, big game cl, mag elite, or record 60 hcl.

will have to sell the bait stuff to get all this
check the classifieds in a couple weeks :bigcry:

#41 ·
Now that my season is officially done I finally had to straighten out the cave this weekend, looked like a tackle shop exploded.

After a quick count I discovered I have an exact match - 70 rods and 70 reels - what would be the odds of that confused.gif (and it gets weirder)

Of the 70 rods, 29 are in regular use, one is collectable, 11 are retired (mostly fresh water) 9 rods are blanks still in various stages of construction and another 10 are waiting for repairs.

Of the 70 reels, 29 are in regular use, 7 are in the collectable cabinet, 10 are retired, and 4 are in the junk drawer.

The 29 rods and 29 reels in regular use combined with the 70 / 70 total is extremely bizzare. For the most part I don't match every reel to a specific rod. Just 2 flyrods and one freshwater setup are rods exclusively matched to their own reels, everything else is mix and match to the condition. The fact that the numbers are exactly the same is extremely freaky coincidence.

Weird suspect.gif

#44 ·
For launching meat- 12ft6 inch 6-16 ounce breakaway custom meatstick coupled with a daiwa slosh 30 casting reel loaded with 25 pound pink ande tied to a 60 pound jinkai shocker. 8 n bait!!! Doesn't matter the wind condition. My rig is commin through and staying put.

For snagging bunker and working lures- 10ft6 inch loomis medium heavy coupled with a 4500 daiwa emblem xt loaded with 15 pound pink ande. Own 5 brand new daiwa emblem xt(they don't make them anymore). The smoothest most powerful drag on any spinning reel. Which too me is all that matters on a reel

those are my 2 main no bull**** SETUPS. Dependability and ridigity are my two main concerns. Those two setups carry that out flawlessly.

The beach at 1 am, 50 fresh bunkers, 6 hours to spare, and 15 mph wind in your face........... Priceless...............

#48 ·
ToEChEeSe said:
12ft6 inch 6-16 ounce breakaway custom meatstick coupled with a daiwa slosh 30 casting reel
10ft6 inch loomis medium heavy
Own 5 brand new daiwa emblem xt(they don't make them anymore).
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

If you ever want to sell or trade one of those Emblem X's please put me first on the list.

#50 ·
Toe Cheese. Dumb question. How do you like the breakaway? I've been thinking about getting one but the $300 price tag has me holding back. Their nuke rod is 400. :bigcry: I've heard good things about the new LDX series at 200 bucks Think their worth the xtra cash?

#51 ·
Sudsy, not willing to part with my daiwas, but www.hatterasoutfitters.com has a few 6000s left over. A bit pricey probably because of the fact that they are discontinued. i bought my reels at dream fishing tackle in greenpoint brooklyn. Don't know if he has anymore, but when he did he let them go for a bargain. I payed 65 bucks a piece brand new. I will give Robert a call tomorrow to check and see if he has any left, or if he can still order some more. If he does I will give you the address to the store, so that if your ever in the city you can stop by. These reels don't have instant anti reverse, but they are very rugged and the drag is fade free and flawless. Saw a show on espn where they were landing 60-70 pound Giant trevalle jack (said to be the toughest gamefish pound for pound in the world) on these reels.

Striperjim, Breakaway rods to me are the best surf fishing rods for the kind of fishing we do. Definetly worth the extra cash. Don't know too much about the LDX rods but just took a look at them and wow. Gorgeous looking lure rods. Might pick up the spinner. The blank that I own is the SU1509 model. It was dubbed by cape hatteras fisherman as "THE KING OF THE POINT! The Best Long Distance Big Drum/Striper/Cobia/Shark rod on the beach in our opinion " I throw 8 ounce sinkers with bunker heads and this rod doesn't flinch. so if your looking for the best meat chucking rod out there, that is the one. Caution, if you have a bad back or elbow, this rod is not for you. 6 ounce sinkers are the minimum. A friend of mine in Florida fights 120 pound tarpon from the surf with this rod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.