Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Penn 704z

Tags
704z penn
148K views 253 replies 44 participants last post by  cunezstun 
#1 ·
Well i decided to do some rock hopping this fall in Montauk so i picked up a Penn 704z, did all the tricks, made my holes, painted it(no powder coat yet),got a sealed bearing, new handle,drag,drag knob,shaft and manual bail(not sure how this works) My question is do you guys pack the reel with grease? I mean really pack it tight or just lob a lot by the entryways? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#177 ·
Ironman, you can connect those portals into a slot by hand using a handheld drill, a drill bit smaller than the one you used to drill the portals and a bastard to file the material into a slot. The portals would have to be farther appart than the ones on the reel in the pic.

#178 ·
Yeah I know or a dremel tool to cut in between the holes . But its still will never be as clean cut as a router bit or a lathe and besides I don't really
have any extra rotors lol , maybe I'll try it soon after the holidays . I really admire your work. How much smoother is it with the bearings instead of bushings , is it really worth the upgrade ?

#180 ·
Hmmm, we could fill in every other set of portals and open up the remaining ones into slots. You would have to repaint it though. The reel is noticebly smoother with the added bearings, one good crank by hand and the handle turns over two times by itself.

#181 ·
do the bearings fit right in like the inside bearing on the crank on the 706z or does it have to be milled out ? I would leave this reel as is , it looks good and get another 1 off flea bay for about $50 and have at it for the slots VS look . By the way whats the size hole and space of the slots center to center ?

#182 ·
Well,after a month and two attempts i finally pick up the reels and they look great and the finish seems almost indestructable, got really excited and when i start to assemble i realize that the spools don't even fit inside the rotor,:lmao: after a 20 minute discussion about the need for a thin, even coat, i went to pick them up on tuesday and they were only coated on one side(outside), now they put so much on that the spool won't even fit inside the rotor! :icon_cry: My appologies for the people waiting for these but i need to bring them back(spool and rotor) and have them redone. :smiley17e:

P.S. Jim if you read this i'm not getting any notification.

Attachments

#190 ·
Hey RJ, recognise the SWEEEEET Reel in HarrytheKid's mouth? He loves it! He shows it off to everyone who fishes with us. He refers to it as his "PennVanStaal". He certainly catches plenty of fish with it!
Guys, Cappy did this reel for The Kid last winter and it is as smooth as a gravy sandwich! Thanks again Cappy!

Attachments

#195 ·
Hey RJ, recognise the SWEEEEET Reel in HarrytheKid's mouth? He loves it! He shows it off to everyone who fishes with us. He refers to it as his "PennVanStaal". He certainly catches plenty of fish with it!
Guys, Cappy did this reel for The Kid last winter and it is as smooth as a gravy sandwich! Thanks again Cappy![/qu

The kid looks good Dad, he grew nicely since i saw his last pic! I'm glad he likes the reel. :a_goodjob:

#197 ·
I've ported 710's and 712's but painted them with automotive paint not Hot Coat. Haven't added bearings, would need to find some parts reels to play with, maybe this winter if i have time. Would also need to find smaller power knobs, these large ones are too big. Can be done.

#198 ·
I just bought a 704z on eBay, should I have it serviced asap? Can you guys recommend somewhere in south Jersey or someone on this site still do repairs?(RJ does restores?) The guy I bought it from said he washed it with soap and water after each use, just want to make sure it's in good working order or do some preventive maitenance.

duh, just googled Penn reel repairs/service, didn't realize Penn was still located in Philly. I work about a mile away from the repair shop - has anyone brought in a 704z recently? I'm guessing they won't trick it out like you guys but I might be able to get some parts from them if needed.

#202 ·
Scotts B&T in Jersey should have the manual pickup kits. Thanks for the info on my link, don't know what happened. Your reel will probably need to be cleaned and lubed properly. Change the drag stack, rear drag washer, thrust washer, roller sleeve, bail bumper ( all non-metals). The bushings should be looked at closely. rj

#204 ·
Thanks Cappy, I tried bidding on a manual kit on eBay, I dropped out of the bidding when it hit $35 - I wound up buying another 704z, this time with a gold spool, really sweet. I checked Scotts B&T' site, didn't see one on there, maybe I'll call them. Could you make a manual pick-up?
Mike

#205 ·
Hey mad69 I have been looking all over for a 710 kit, penn and scotts buckos, no one has them even most of the parts cant even be ordered its best to get another 710 and do it yourself i guess! As for the the 704z as of two weeks ago scotts didn't have any 69-704 kits available and didn't no when they would have them or make them. But for $27 dollars you can still order a kit from buckos thats what i did and just put it on last night, sweet ready to go!

RJCappy or anyone else have an idea or can build a kit for the 710 I would be psyched, I dont want to cut mine and file etc. looking to build something like the 704 kit were i can stikll keep tyhe original parts!

Thanks and help very much appreciated
ChefBX :cook:

#207 ·
Manual pick up

Alright. Here goes. This is my home made manual pick up kit. I've used this method on a Dam Quick 441N, a Penn 704 greenie, a Mitchell 302, and 2 Olympic Atlantis 2800s. It's worked flawlessly with all. What I did was take one of the screws from a junk Penn 4500 off the side plate that holds the bail spring in. If you don't have that exact reel basically any big headed screw from a reel will work. The thing to look for is that small patch of smooth metal between the threads and the head of the screw. That's what the line roller will go onto. Obviously the line roller from the 704z may or may not fit so you may have to find a line roller that will fit onto the screw you've chosen. Then you put the roller on the screw and screw the screw into the factory line roller arm. The key is to finding a screw that has a big enough head but not too big to where you can't put the line back onto the roller. Now obviously some screws you will find/use won't directly fit into the bail arm so some drilling and threading the hole of the bail arm to receive the new screw may be needed. No one said it would be a direct fit and it wouldn't be a project if there wasn't a little work involved but its a great, easy, cheaper replacement to the MPU kits that no one seems to have in stock anymore. Hope this helps everyone. ChefBX PM me if you need a bit more info?

Cabinetry Fluid Nail Gas Drawer

Fluid Finger Gas Thumb Nickel

Cabinetry Drawer Household hardware Dresser Chest of drawers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.