Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Penn 704z

Tags
704z penn
148K views 253 replies 44 participants last post by  cunezstun 
#1 ·
Well i decided to do some rock hopping this fall in Montauk so i picked up a Penn 704z, did all the tricks, made my holes, painted it(no powder coat yet),got a sealed bearing, new handle,drag,drag knob,shaft and manual bail(not sure how this works) My question is do you guys pack the reel with grease? I mean really pack it tight or just lob a lot by the entryways? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#123 ·
Check it out!!! Ended up doing the measuring without the template (couldn't get it to fit right), and i used a handdrill/dremel because the chuck was broken on the drill press...

Tomorrow, i'm gonna file the cuts smooth and prep it for paint! Btw, anyone have an extra 704z power handle? I wanna throw it on this bad boy.

Attachments

#126 ·
704 refers to greenie(older model) 704z refers to blackie( newer model) same reel though. Parts are interchangeable on the 704(z) and 706(z) because they share the same housing thus the guts are all the same size. The 710 being a smaller housing should have a smaller main gear than the 704(706). Better yet, the 704 main gear shaft is 8mm (outer diameter). Measure the shaft on the 710 and if it's 8mm it might work. What's wrong with the original handle?

#127 ·
A penn junkie on another forum told me it would work, and the reason i want to change it, is because the 710 handle is effing small. He said adding the 704 handle would make it much more balanced and comfortable, i'll measure it right now.

#129 ·
Yep, i think that's how he did it. Thing is i can't seem to unscrew the damn handle from the bolt locking it in place, any ideas? Secondly the deal with my 704z fell through, the guy wanted to keep it. Keeping my eyes open on fleabay though.

#131 ·
Rj, what is the diameter of the threaded part coming out of the housing where the handle attaches? Were you refering to that as 8mm or the acual shaft as 8mm? And i wanna get a 704z just because of the newer guts on it (my 710 has the AR broken) and put a greenie cup on it so i can get clean lines without that bump in the middle which the 704z have.

Also what is the length of the 704 handle shaft, from the top screw holding it in to the knob?

#132 ·
The actual shaft is 8mm, the thread is 6.25mm. Handle is 9.5cm. long. Is that what you meant? I picked up a 704(greenie) from e-bay from a guy who got it from an estate sale. The reel had no marks on it and the drag knob and handle knob were pearly white. The guts were in mint condition. No wear on the gears at all. I'm thinking the reel was in the attic for a long time and the guy hardly used it. I was lucky enough to get it for $50. Keep an eye on e-bay, you might see a good one, you never know. Scotts B&T has all the parts for the 710. :icon_thumright:

#133 ·
Rj, i'm getting 1/4in for the threaded section (i was measuring wrong before) and from what people are saying the 704 even though it has a larger main shaft diameter it also has the 1/4in thread meaning the 704 handle will fit the 710.

And i almost bid on that estate one..lol I'm keeping my eyes open.

Also, since the emblem on my 710 is pretty much toast, theres nothing left to it, is there anything i can use to fill in the hole and paint over it?

#135 ·
Sweet, I'm ticked, cause i was out till 4 last night slept in and of course a 704 power handle went up for sale somewhere and i missed it!

Also i wanted to paint a striper or something on the side, i believe someone else did it on this thread. So i was wondering, should i remove what is left of the emblem(how would i go about that)? Or just fill it in with some sort of filler.

#136 ·
I have a handle i bought last year and used a few times. No scratches. Was gonna put it up for bid. The emblem is glued on. Flat head should pop it out, a little heat from a hair dryer might help. You need to remove it before painting. There's a 2 part epoxy(home depot) that can be applied to bare metal. You can use that to fill it in and sand even.

#139 ·
Rj, could i buy that handle off ya?

Now for paint, I do not want to pay for powdercoating...

So my plan is..Sand w/400g, apply rustoleum self etching primer, from here i'm stumped at what paint to use...I was thinking mabey rustoleum truck bed coating spray? Or rustoleum BBQ and stove? Or just normal textured rustoleum metal paint followed by rustoleum rattle can clear.

#140 ·
Sure. I wouldn't use truck bed coating or undercoat paint on the reels. Normal urethane metal paint applied with very thin coats would be best. Use 800grit sandpaper when wetsanding in between coats. I also wait 48 hrs in between coats.

#146 ·
If you look at the tip of thread you'll see a flange. They did that so the screw won't fall off if it gets loose. Put some tape on the screw and force it off with a pair of pliers. A little force is all that's needed, once it gives it'll come off. When your done painting it, put it back and bend the flange back down with a flat head. Not too much, just enough to retain the screw in case it gets loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.