Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Preliminary suggestions for 2009 gatherings?

10K views 56 replies 21 participants last post by  rambov 
#1 ·
2008 was great. I personally had a great time meeting a bunch of you guys and hooking up with some old friends.
Its hard to pick a favorite. The Cape was great - Montauk - Old Orchard Beach Maine - The Hudson - JamesTown Rhode Island -
Pick one - they were a blast.
If I only had one choice I might pick Rhode Island or Montauk - One of my favorites however was meeting the Canadian crew and the Pig roast in Maine.
What would you guys like for next year?
Small groups are cool with me. The big crowds can be work but a lot of fun too.
Perhaps the Delaware Bay or the Chesapeake even. Hatteras or other points south? The Sound - Long island - New jersey?
I guess the shows come first . Im not sure ill spend any time there unless to meet up and have lunch or buy some plugs.
I want to do another boar hunt if anyones interested. We can car pool and doesnt have to be a large crowd. Also any time of the year is good. Spring and fall is the busy season.

We could also make a run up to Nova scotia. ive not been there and I hear its beautiful.
Any ideas - suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
I know I had a blast at all the 2008 Gatherings. Definitely something I want to do again in '09. Hudson, the canal, Rhodie, and Mtk, should definitely be on the list. Maine, too (different campground). I know it didn't work out last year, but an ice fishing gathering this winter would be great, too. thumbsup.gif

I think an early spring hot spot further south would be awesome, and maybe an Indiana trip. Maybe gas prices won't be such a burden next year, but who knows....

#7 ·
I know I had a blast at all the 2008 Gatherings. Definitely something I want to do again in '09. Hudson, the canal, Rhodie, and Mtk, should definitely be on the list. Maine, too (different campground). I know it didn't work out last year, but an ice fishing gathering this winter would be great, too. thumbsup.gif

I think an early spring hot spot further south would be awesome, and maybe an Indiana trip. Maybe gas prices won't be such a burden next year, but who knows....
Ice fishing for sure. Jake your invited to Sawdy pond 1st good freeze. My best friend has a boat ramp in his yard. We have a blast except for the no ice year we had last season.

#3 ·
Based on the way the fishing's been I would scrap any Sandy Hook gatherings until things change.

How about a spring NJ Tog trip on the Big Mohawk out of Belmar ??

#4 ·
I have a spot in LC which is an open field. I have fished there many times. ALot of times i see like surfer meetings with a bunch of cars. Dont think it would be a problem. Plenty of fishing room. plenty of parking. I will have to look more into this.
Canal is a Def. JUST STAY AWAY FROM MY POLE.biglaugh.gif

#9 ·
i posted the Hudson record will be challenged come cinco de mayo. (4 days before the moon) historically, the 50's fell may 9th and like the twelfth after what was very very cold winters (like we will be having now) so we should get gary (hung4wheeler and his wife to get the poop on when the tourneys are taking place as to avoid conflict with that. i would not want to miss that as it is overdue for a monstah up there.:shocked:

#28 ·
POSTED IN NOVEMBER!!
wow, did i hit the nail on the head or what???
cold hard winter. i am sick of it already and there is no end in sight.
well, that means well into may the nites are gonna be cold. at least it won't warm up too fast and the fish should stick around a while longer here.
now back to the gatherings aspect of this thread. april 25th first annual freezout. 6pm or so at the fishing pier at sharrots. (not fishing there but for anyone coming from the highway or jersey it is very easy directions.

#12 ·
Rhode Island, the canal, and Montauk definitely. I for one would like to check out some of the fishing down south like Delaware, and NC

#13 ·
Hudson, Rhodie, Canal, Jamestown were all great last year...I would love to do the Hudson trip again, that was a good time...Montauk also was a blast! How about a spring gathering at Montauk or the Canal?

#15 ·
I was just thinking about this the other day, trying to get something together for late winter/early spring of '09. Are the stripers sdown off Chesapeke Bay/surrounding areas still around this time or have they started their migration north already? I'm down for a road trip to Jersey or NY in February/March/April, anyone else game? And if not NY/NJ at that time, when do they start hitting the beaches of Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York? I'm already starting to get the itch, and it's wayyyyy too early for that. Questions? Comments? Ideas? Remarks?

StriperHyper ~ Will
:a_goodjob:

#19 ·
I didnt realize stripers were up as far as R.I. in early spring/late winter. I'm on a further end of the spectrum here in Maine, but I'm down for a roadtrip whenever. Come February I'm gonna be going crazy, maybe even before!!!

P.S. Thanks for the advice Point, that cream was a BIG help!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will

#21 ·
Check this out

By Jimmy Fee
With temperatures plummeting by the minute, lakes and ponds throughout Connecticut and Rhode Island are locking up nicely this week. The theory that the best winter fishing occurs under the season's first ice has certainly proved true so far. Pike, pickerel, walleye and black bass are just a few of the species making their way through the ice in recent days. Fishermen hoping to fish open water still have some opportunities as well, as holdover stripers continue to feed in a number of local rivers.

Stephen Katkowski got out before the deep freeze to catch this beauty of a January striper on the Thames River.
Do you have a current great catch photo? Email it to
us and you might just see it in the fishing report.
Send photos to kevin@onthewater.com, and
be sure to include the angler's name and the size of fish.
Captain Thom Pelletier at Quaker Lane Bait and Tackle in North Kingstown hasn't heard much on recreational fishing in saltwater lately, but he did receive some interesting news from a few commercial draggers. While one boat was working a school of mackerel off Rhode Island, it pulled up in its net a few striped bass in the 25- to 40-pound range. Apparently not all of the big stripers migrate south for the winter, as these few were clearly shadowing the mackerel schools, eating their fill of the oily baitfish.
-onthewater.com

I know I know, goot luck catching them, but why tease me at this time of year? :a_dreaming:

Does anybody still take cod from the shore? I am landlocked but am thinking about going down cape some to try for some cod - any suggestions?

#22 ·
There are guys that fish at Black Falcon Cruise terminal in boston for Cod and do pretty well. Bring your ear protection the cruise terminal is right near logan....

#23 ·
I'm up for a trip any time after May. If there was enought interest we could line something up in Nova Scotia, but there is a reason why we get so excited about the New England States, BIG FISH!! The trout are great here in late Apr. and May if anyone is interested.

#24 ·
Dave I happen to be an avid trouter (hahah I hope zim doesn't find this thread even though he still lacks a pic of me to chop!) and I would certainly take a ride to come fish for trout up there.

#26 ·
Nope not true at all....I visited that spot a few times last year without issue...

#30 ·
I'm gonna start banging the beaches in northern NC this weekend. Hopefully I'll be writing about good fishing. Anyway if anyones up for a tuna trip I'm hearing the bluefin and wahoo are making a decent showing and the yellowfin are expected to show up any time. I know it's not surfcasting but it sure will fill the itch.

#33 ·
Rambov you shouldn't have a problem at B.F. at all. If you do please let me know!

Thanks

#36 ·
Jim knows me too well. Nope I do not work in the "building" nor am I 007. I did take the time to speak to every employee that I came accross over there. Needless to say I will always be able to fish there!! Btw don't forget to hit the deli that is on the side of the building that faces Castle Island!

Back on topic I think a gathering at Plum Island would be great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.