Votes: 78 11.7%

favorite striper bait

Tags
bait
99K views 85 replies 70 participants last post by  workhorse 
#1 ·
what is your favorite striper bait

#32 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new to the site. I checked eels. but cannot always find them because of their lack of availability in the Hudson valley. Gander Mt. has them some of the time but not always. Has anyone tried drifting eels?
No hardware but leader and hook. It works well. Good luck.

#38 ·
I've never used live eels....how do you hook em to cast out ?
I think the topic was recently addressed (again) in another thread. :trysearch:
Specifically look for tutorials by Roccus or threads by Sudsy.
Hook it through the lower jaw and out an eye. Let it swim to the floor naturally and reel in very slowly. Rinse and repeat.
The setups are in the tutorials.

#42 ·
Because a lot of the posts are by guys down NY and Jersey where fresh mackerel isn't readily available. They pass us by quickly, once in the spring and again in the early winter, and many miles offshore.
Bunker we have huge amounts of, right on the beach.

#44 ·
It is amazing nobody picked crabs, especially those who fish in NJ. Calicos are a lot tougher to come by, have to rake em yourself, but it's fun to go through the trouble. I just started it last year, technique and equipment are not my strong suit, but can see it's benefits. Problem is I only get to apply it when I'm on vacation the month of August, but I'll bet I grab a striper this year on em, even in between the seasons.

#45 ·
I'm a plugger too,...nothing is more exciting than catching a Bass on an artificial plug . and of the multitudes of plugs to choose from Top Water by far is the most rewarding....To actually see and hear a BIG BASS slap a top water plug out of the water then engulf with abandon gets the adrenelin flowing like no other strike. GAME ON!!!!

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

Fish Whisper

#47 ·
Halco Tremblers, they are HOT and have been for quite some time ,Get the small 4in size for surf casting , and drag the Giant Trembler from your boat , want deeper go with the G.T.Trembler the only hard part is ordering them ,I used to be able to get them at my bait store close by but Sevenstrand stopped importing them ,they are from down under ,Austrailia go to the Halco lure site and order them they slam catch fish. Last year from the beach, on six casts I got 2 large flounder, 2 speckled trout, 1 school striper and an oyster toad......all on the 4in size . take a tip try some..........Andrew:trink08:

#49 ·
My (FAVORITE) way to catch stripers is pluggin' although there's a time and a place for everything...In the FarRockaway surf which I fish,clams work excellent at the beginning of the season...Later on,small KingFish are the predominant baitfish and these also work excellent live or chunked...

#56 ·
i striper fish the hudson river every year up towards catskill and was wondering a good alternative to herring.Some other kind of bait or lure that might work good from shore(i ocassionally troll stickbaits from a boat with success).Alot of suggestions I see seem to be aimed towards fishing brackish water near the mouths of rivers and im further up river.will eels work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.