99K views 85 replies 70 participants last post by  workhorse 
#1 ·
what is your favorite striper bait

#3 ·
Sudsy said:
Crap
I clicked bunker
Didn't realize that plugs would be included as an option in a bait question
Through the magical power of editing you have now picked plugs suds.
although bunker noggins would be my bait choice as well.
At least near the raritan bay anyway.
:cheers:

#5 ·
Me too!:smiliedoh:
Bait is bait,
Lures are lures.
You can lure your bait,
or bait your lures.

Which one depends on time of day / year, where, and how. :dizzy:
Too many choices, can't decide! :lff3::whistle:
Like picking only one Dallas Cheerleader for a night. :pbdoi: :thu:

#7 ·
I HAVE WENT BY WAY OF THE CLAM. AS MOST OF MY BASS FISHING IS IN EARLY SPRING AND AS I READ LIKE SUDS I WILL VOTE (BAIT) AND EELS MAY BE KING AND I WOULDA FELT OBLIGATED TO VOTE THE LONELY CRAB BUT BECAUSE OF THE PROXIMITY TO THE LARGEST CLAM BED ON THE EASTERN SEABOARD WHERE I FISH, I WILL MAKE THE CHOICE EASY.:icon_cool2:

#8 ·
mind telling me how u found the biggest clam bed on the east coast? so i can find the second biggest near cape cod? Just saw a special on history channel bout the BIG RED 1. amazing stuff, we're all in ur dept zimno!!!!!! now tell me where to find fish :icon_thelmutsalute:

#11 ·
I arrived at a spot on a good tide in the wee hours this spring just as a car load of guys were leaving. I made the mistake of small talk by asking if they had seen any bait and this moron stared me down and says "I dont fish bait".
So I says good for you but thats not the question I asked.
You moron.

Whatever it takes. Is my motto. There was spearing everywhere.

#12 ·
I arrived at a spot on a good tide in the wee hours this spring just as a car load of guys were leaving. I made the mistake of small talk by asking if they had seen any bait and this moron stared me down and says "I dont fish bait".
So I says good for you but thats not the question I asked.
You moron.

Whatever it takes. Is my motto. There was spearing everywhere.
Or how about the guys lookin for bunker, you're chillin out there and they come rollin up with the headlights on. They get out for 3 secs, say "hey man you seen any bait round here?", look around for another 3 secs, don't see bunker, and split. Meanwhile, the bunker are there, you just have to close your eyes and listen. :bluegrin:

#13 ·
Most experiences are fun and positive. I wish they all were - but that wouldnt be too much fun now would it? :4996:
The thing that was remarkable to me was the arrogance. This guy felt superior because he was a purist and apparantly this makes him feel better than the next guy.
There was a time i would have simply told him to __ off. J/O.
I guess just calling him moron shows some personal growth. :4996:
I have nothing against the purists I actually admire the tenacity and stubborness to go fishless when the fish are taking nothing but bait. It really is a challenge to hunt fish this way and holds a special charm unto itself.
Eels are somehow not considered as bait. But i digress.

#16 ·
Ha! Jim, I think fishing as a sport is about the most snob infested sport of any. The guy you meet was far from an exception.
You've got the "anti-" crowd,,,
anti- bait, bottom, boat, beach, tourist, bluefish, scuppers, spin fishers, conventional fishers, white bucket, daytimers, high tiders, sunny daze, east winders, full mooners, August fishers, sinker dunkers, monofilimenters, etc.

And, we have the Pros-
Pro - flyfishers, pluggers, nighters, sand spikers, surfers, jettiers, eelers, late nighters, rock owners, storm casters, custom gear freaks, etc.

Me? I like it all at certain times. Some of my better fishing days I never even wetted a line.
Now if that makes anyone "icon_scratch.gif" then they probably fall into one of the above groups
I'm just a smuck that enjoys the varietys of life enough to not be an exclusive elitist. th_icon_splitform.g:bleh.gifrun.gif

#14 ·
I call it a transition, without the purest pretentious attitude.
It's not that I hate bait, It bores me. Waiting for a fish to swim by, and find a hunk of meat.
I love the challenge, especially in new places, of hunting for Bass. Reading the water, interpreting the rips and structure. Fooling a fish into thinking that a piece of wood is real.
The anticipation of the hit, right up to when the plug comes out of the water. Watching the boil as it crushes a top water, or the slam of a subsurface strike. eels bring a level of excitement almost on par with plugs, because they are fished in almost identical circumstances. On occasion a bunker head can be used in almost the same manner, drifted in a rip, or tossed into the wash of a reef. I don't even own a sinker anymore.
I have fished Bass in any and all method known for my area. Caught boatloads, literally.
trolled, drifted, and anchored a chum slick.
My life has brought me to a point that I desire the challenge of hunting for Stripers, it's no longer fishing to me. I would rather go fishless on a plug in the surf, than to land 50 from a boat using a chunk of fish meat.

#80 ·
Roger That!
i don't hate people with Bait.. i fish along side my friends when they're bait fishing but i'll always choose the Plug.. nothing more exciting than "playing" the bait in areas where you can feel the fish lurking. in my opinion it's Fair game using Lures...

*unless your starving on an island.. then use whatever you want :flyfish:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.