Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

What do you guys think about 11ft+ Rods

Tags
11ft guys rods
16K views 64 replies 26 participants last post by  StormCaster 
#1 ·
I think I will buy a longer rod. Maybe 11 to 15 ft. When I was at the pro shop a guy in there told me not to.
I thought I'd ask you guys to see what you think.

#35 ·
I'm in the process of making an 11'6" fiberglass rod from blank material. Lot's of info out there, and here. He's right: it is not complicated, but it takes patience and getting set up right.

I usually spend some time during the slow winters and visit my local bait and tackle shops. Most all of those guys like to fish, and they can supply some things such as line guides, reel seats and stuff. Even give you few tips. That's the good thing about the local shop owners getting to know you: They know you're good for dropping a couple bucks here and there, so they'll tune a novice in some what.

I like the dying practice of buying stuff at the mom and pop stores rather than the big chains.:usa:

#36 ·
Lot's of info out there, and here. He's right: it is not complicated, but it takes patience and getting set up right.
Yup yup,

Attach the reel seat first and then tape on the guides with masking tape. Put on the reel you'll be using on the rod then start casting and adjusting the guides until they're perfect. There's an art to that that we can talk about in a different thread.

The best casting rods are made to fit both you and a specific spinning reel spooled with either braid or mono - one or the other. Conventional reels are all pretty much the same from one to another casting wise and it doesn't matter whether it's braid or mono.

For your first 5 to 10 rods expect to spend more time adjusting the guides, especially the stripper (1rst) guide then doing the thread and epoxy work.

Pick up an old inexpensive glass rod and strip it down to the blank and rebuild it - make that your first project

If you decide to get into this we can take this entire conversation to the rod building forum.

#40 ·
I acquired a fly fishing rod the end of last summer fairly cheap and planned on learning the in's and out's of it in the off season. Since then however, I switched up my priorities towards making/buying corkers so I can tackle Biddeford Pool without busting my ass like I did last year......hence, on the back burner goes the fly fishing. I'm hoping to be able to do both this summer/fall, time permitting of course, but we'll see. Another month or so the weather should switch-up enough that I'll be able to begin my scouting mission(s), get me some korkers and go after big fish come the end of May/beginning of June. Right around the corner now, I can hardly wait....I'm sure we're ALL experiencing "the itch" by now.

StriperHyper ~ Will

#42 ·
C'mon BR, the number of forums that go off topic on this site are immeasurable......errr, what were we talking about anyway??? Oh, 11' rods, yeah I got one!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will

#43 ·
C'mon BR, the number of forums that go off topic on this site are immeasurable......errr, what were we talking about anyway??? Oh, 11' rods, yeah I got one!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will
Its an 11ft fly rod!!!!

I don't think I want to buy a rod that's not going to last so maybe I should wait until I get enough spare dough to buy a decent rod. I'm thinking about getting a TICA or a St Criox.

#46 ·
So buy a used rod that needs TLC and rebuild it.
You want something with crappy, old, or broken guides, worn cork tape, busted reelseat, that sort of thing. Just be sure there are no deep scratches in the blank - that's a bad thing.

My father scored a totally beat Lami GSB1321m for $5 at a garage sale. (He really doesn't even fish and had no idea what he bought) Really crappy looking, busted guide rings, no tip, torn up cork tape where the reel was taped on and removed numerous times.......... but the blank was perfect.
Of course I scarfed it right up and rebuilt it. Now it's my go to, big spring blitz fish pencil rod :banana:

This is it here:
Water Shorts Sky Ecoregion Natural environment

#49 ·
So buy a used rod that needs TLC and rebuild it.
You want something with crappy, old, or broken guides, worn cork tape, busted reelseat, that sort of thing. Just be sure there are no deep scratches in the blank - that's a bad thing.

My father scored a totally beat Lami GSB1321m for $5 at a garage sale. (He really doesn't even fish and had no idea what he bought) Really crappy looking, busted guide rings, no tip, torn up cork tape where the reel was taped on and removed numerous times.......... but the blank was perfect.
Of course I scarfed it right up and rebuilt it. Now it's my go to, big spring blitz fish pencil rod :banana:

This is it here:
View attachment 9834
Jesus!!! that fish is huge!!

#50 ·
I have rods 9 1/2' to 11 1/2' that I built and use them all. I fish New England (on the rocks) mostly so I'm usually using a 9 1/2-10' rod. In open surf I'll tend to go longer to keep the line out of the waves. Casting distance is more a matter of balanced tackle and technique than rod length. A longer rod will tire you out faster for the most part. But, definitely, BUILD YOUR OWN ROD. You'll be able to afford a much better rod than anything off the shelf, and you'll be able to tweak it to your needs.

#51 ·
I own and use rods of all lengths but my most used rods for chunking are 12 feet and above. Personally I think anything under 12ft is a short rod :redbiggrin:.

All my long distance fishing spinning tackle is 13ft or more (HDX, All Star 1507, Daiwa Ballistic, Zziplex Synchro, CTS 5-8).

There is no substitute for rod length when casting distance is an objective. There are short rods that perform well (legendary All Star 11'9" comes to mind) but even those can't keep up with a zoned action long stick.

I'm patiently waiting for the arrival of a Century Carbon Metal Blackbird blank from the UK . . . That rod measures 15ft :bluegrin: :whistle::icon_stirthepot:

#52 ·
I own and use rods of all lengths but my most used rods for chunking are 12 feet and above. Personally I think anything under 12ft is a short rod :redbiggrin:.

(legendary All Star 11'9" comes to mind) but even those can't keep up with a zoned action long stick.
Yup, All Star BreakAway LDFC 119-2. I have 3 of em :sydan::sydan::sydan: Longest rods I own.

RR, We can assume you're doing most of your fishing from southern NJ south through [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Assateague Island.
Those waters mostly have
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]long sloping beaches and at least 3 bars. Y[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ou need to be able to throw a bait very far to have a chance at a fish down there.
From LBI north the game changes. The beach structures are more steeply sloped, usually only 2 main bars, with deeper water within easy casting range of a 10' to 11' rod.

Most of us use rods for double duty, both bait and some form of lure throwing - not something you're going to do with a 15' rod. My BreakAways do double duty slinging tins way, way out when breaking fish are out of reach of everything else.
[/FONT]

#53 ·
" Personally I think anything under 12ft is a short rod :redbiggrin:."

Geez, that just sounds like either really lite weight space age (i.e. $$) rods as in your zziplex OR you are on steroids! Kidding pal, but casting with something that long sounds like shoulder problems. Correct me if I am mistaken. He's right: surf fishin up where I am is different. I have 11' and 11'6 bait rods. Maybe I'll take your advice next rod I make, and go big!

I'm workin on a 9' ron arra lami model # xra108-4, one piece. I am undecided which reel to get, and then, what sort of line I'm sticking with. I want to decide on either mono or braid, and a weight class, and that's all that rod is ever gona be. Can you suggest a niece reel? Money isn't a problem, the more money, the time it'll take for me to set aside.

#54 ·
These would be the top of the line choices and not necessarily in this order
The order will depend on how you're going to be using the reel
If they're getting dunked then the VS or ZB
If it's high and dry fishing and you want a bail then the Stella or Saltiga

VS 150 or 200
or
ZeeBass 22 or 25
or
Shimano Stella (not sure what size)
or
Daiwa Saltiga (not sure what size)

#55 ·
Make it very high and dry for the stella.....they say the drag is sealed but I can tell you from my googan experiences its totally not sealed!!!! For the rods described in the thread (11ft +) the 6000FA Stella would be a good match....but again only if you plan on keeping it dry. Otherwise the VS or Z are much better for dunking! For a 9ft rod id say the 5000FA.....I can't say it enough though if you plan on getting the reel wet stay away from the stella as for me it was a bad choice for the surf...

#57 ·
Yeah its been smoothed out so to speak a bit but I treated it like a googan at M.

#61 ·
I'm coming late to this discussion but I would suggest that *balance* (line-rod-reel) and YOUR physical limitations AND what type of fishing you do are all key factors. I use an 11 foot Graphite Ron Arra Lamiglass in the surf and at the Canal. I have two: one for spinning, the other conventional. For me they are fine. They do the job for ME. Bay-inlet fishing for me requires a different set up --- shorter and lighter gear for lighter lures. I'm now appoaching my 69th year, and I'm *thinking* just thinking about a ten footer. <shrug>
Get one and fish it and see for yourself. You can't have too many rods or reels. :smilierun:

#64 ·
Now that I'm 70 , My rods are getting shorter
, in more ways than one.. As a young man i started with a heavy lami blank which I wrapped..This was around11 1/2 ' with pipe clamps holding on a PennSquidder.. It caught fish & i was extremly a happy guy..was imtroduced to the regs at the california beaches...Everyone in the late 70s were using this type of gear..The bigger the better 3 1/4 oz to 4 oz Distance the objective As we also had salmon asa bicatch...Then a lot of smaller groups from China, philopinos & smaller frame people began fishing With new gear & ideas to fit our fishing..We eventually picked up on some of their gear & found out we could fish these smaller outfits all day long without a break.. Where as before we would throw & ocaisionally back off & take a break until the fish started in again..The new guys were using !0' spinning outfits& throwing shorter than us...Then the Cabelas Predatore Casting ( Actually Spin ) rods appeared on the beach..We found our common outfits, with the Calcutta 400 ...Still 11' setups but a lot lighter Eventually other blanks appeared on the scene.. I finally have a Rod from a friend I wrapped with a $00TE &thats where i stay to this day..Since the arrival of Braid the picture has changed greatly .Med size spin outfits usually 10' - 11' can reach wayout there in neverland..In our Bays the outfits run the same as your inland or brechway type fishing. I even go down to trout outfits in a boat for schoolies..I really enjoy the lighter out fitsas I get older.. I think I'll go take a nap now...Thanks for listening ...you saved me $100 a hour on my doctors couch,,,,,Jim :dizzy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.