Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

What do you guys think about 11ft+ Rods

Tags
11ft guys rods
16K views 64 replies 26 participants last post by  StormCaster 
#1 ·
I think I will buy a longer rod. Maybe 11 to 15 ft. When I was at the pro shop a guy in there told me not to.
I thought I'd ask you guys to see what you think.

#2 ·
1st off, IMHO the BPS is a piece of crap, no knowledge at all from anyone in the entire store... Take a trip down to Wickford Rodworks and ask a craftsman about 11 foot and bigger rods, no doubt you will not get the same answer... While you're there, pick up some JP custom plugs if he's got any left.

BryanL

And for the sake of all that's holy, avoid the BPS at all costs

#7 ·
1st off, IMHO the BPS is a piece of crap, no knowledge at all from anyone in the entire store... Take a trip down to Wickford Rodworks and ask a craftsman about 11 foot and bigger rods, no doubt you will not get the same answer... While you're there, pick up some JP custom plugs if he's got any left.

BryanL

And for the sake of all that's holy, avoid the BPS at all costs
lol But its so nice in there. Its close to Gillette stadium too.
I will take your advice and not theirs though so thanks!

#3 ·
Down the Cape (Hatteres), if you not 12 ft+, your not fishin.
(conventionally) I like a long surf rod myself, but 12' MAX is about all I want.
Light (3/4 to 3 oz.) 11' for plug, or med. (2-6) 10-10 1/2 is tops.
Any thing more for a pluggin trip is just not enjoyable to me.

I'd like to say longer rods = longer cast.
But it ain't so. If you're not working it right because it tears your back & shoulder up,, you'll be tossin 1/2 assed short real fast. 12' is a lot of leverage for tossing in the 3-4 oz dept. 2-3 hours you'll be like Arnold,,, "I'll be back!"
I've a 'lil TICA 3/4 -3 in 7 ft. (spin)that is a real rocket launcher with 50# braid.
Nice thing about a longer rod is, you can keep your line up off the curls better. Also feel they are easier to work and enjoy a larger fish with too.
But, that's just me.
I can also appreciate a balanced outfit. Really need to try the reel on the rod before buying if possible. If it's too tip heavy you'll feel it,,, all over.

#5 ·
I use an 11' AFAW Estuary for just about everything except bait.

For bait I like a longer stronger rod (I rarely throw under 6 oz + bait)
In my area, where we don't have to throw far, a 12' rod is fine. As you go south, Delaware to the Outer banks, it's mostly a long distance bait game with the majority of rods going in the 13'+ range.

#11 ·
I've had pretty good success with my 11' Okuma, primarily surfcasting off Old Orchard Beach. With the exception of right before/after a bad storm, for whatever reason, the surf rarely surpasses the need for anything bigger than an 11 footer. On a completely unrelated note, my nominee for fishing/hunting store incompotence, hands down, goes to the new Cabela's in Scarborough, ME. I wasted almost 1/2 an hour going back-and-forth with a sales associate who was trying to convince me not only that the floats I make are a waste of time, but that I should slip a sinker slide down my leader (before attaching it to the main line but after tying on a hook) which would somehow keep my bait afloat because it still weighed less than the pyramid sinker I was using :pbdoi: By comparison, I'd be VP of fishing operations in that joint!!!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will

#13 ·
I have 10', 11' . 12' and one that was 13'. but now it is 12.5.
I use the 12'ers, casting rods, for throwing bait. I'll use the 10' and 11' for plugs and eels. And the 12.5 caster, that's for getting my tin squids way out there.
IMO, if i'm gonna be tossing plugs the whole tide, I want something that is not on the heavy and cumbersome side. thumbsup.gif

#18 ·
Yung, haven't you read anything that's been written here ?

The face wasn't for the size it was for the fact that you're talking about a Walmart rod, the worst kind of crap you can buy and something we've harped about on this site for years.

Save your money, get a Tica, Tsunami, OceanMaster or other decent lower end rod - not that Wallyworld garbage !

#22 ·
This past summer I got an Ocean Master 12' rod that is set up for heavy surf casting (8 - 12 oz.)
And now I honestly wish I hadn't. Fact is it is to heavy, and in my opinion just hard to cast (not to mention I put a Penn 525 on it and I just can't cast the dam thing).

If I could go back, I would have gone with an 12' or 11' Tica instead.

I have a spinning set up with a 12' Beach Runner that I am "reel" happy with
(pun intended)

I have a friend that has a 15' rod, and that thing is a monster. I would not go there.

I think anything over twelve is overkill.:smiliedoh:

#24 ·
btw - the last rod I got from wal mart was a 12' Ugly Stick.
I like the Ugly Stick for rods 7' & under.
But this 12' Ugly was the worst 60 bucks I ever spent.:banana:
If you are going to buy a rod, be sure to go to a surf/tackle shop.

#26 ·
I think it depends on where you are and what your fishing. For places near me I use a 10' for Montauk 11'.

#27 ·
So I think Im going to get an ocean master 11ft.
I wrapped my hands around a St Croix and immediately fell in love until I saw the price!!!

I then quickly fell out of love......(sour grapes) sob

The Ocean Master will have to do for now. I'll get one for now and maybe next month get a TICA.

#28 ·
If you want a great 11' rod check out the 11' AFAW estuary best all around rod out there IMHO. Factory built for $ 230. $160 for the blank

#29 ·
Best of luck getting your hands on one. I tried to order one and the rod is back ordered indefinitely. Tommy told me he would e-mail me when he hears of another shipment.

#31 ·
Both i believe. Don't quote me on it. I ordered a rod and he told me he didn't know when they would be shipping anything to the states.

I wound up by getting a Lami. I will still buy an estuary once they come in just waiting to here when that is.

#33 ·
Blank is what it says, just the blank - no guides, reel seat, grips, nothing - just the blank.
You have to either build it yourself or have it built.

Once you get used to rods that are built to fit your size and casting technique it's hard to go back to off the shelf. Besides, rod building is not nearly as hard as it looks. Much easier then plug building or fly tying.

All you need to get started is a cardboard box, a telephone book, some thread and a bobbin, rod epoxy and a rotisserie motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.