Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Ultimate plugging setup

8K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  redhawk19 
#1 ·
I fish the surf in NJ, mainly for stripers. I have been fishing mostly bait for 2 years, and want to get into plugging. I have quite a few setups, Shimano and TICA my favorites, but I want to invest one time in the ultimate plugging setup. Any reccommendations on reel (make and model) and rod (make, legnth and action)

#2 ·
AFAW 11' Estuary, 2.50 ZeeBaas.
I haven't settled on a line yet. Currently using Cortland 35# spectra and could be happier, need to try another. I think it's time to have a go with 20# Sufix Performance Braid.

#3 ·
sudsy...i spooled my baitrunner 4500 this morning...about 4am at the rhodie gathering...with 20# suffix.....OMFG!!!!! i like fire line...but i fell in love with the suffix today. i also spooled a penn 7500ss with 65# suffix for future cape cod canal jigging...i gave it a test drive....and again..OMFG!!!! ive been doing some research on those zee"s...someday ill save up and play with the big boys..but i have read a lot of guys are going with 65# suffix on those reels. i know gunny had a lot of problems today using 30# braid on his zee..maybe too thin? he lost a lot of plugs..he thinks he was witnessing the line bumping the pick-up rollers as the line was flying off the spool. the line then was knotting and getting caught in his guides causing the snap-offs. he checked his guides for knicks and such and they were fine. maybe a guide issue on his rod for that reel?...spacing or size of the first guide?...at least that was one thought i had.

#4 ·
I'll second the AFAW 11' Esturary rod thumbsup.gif & ZeeBaas. I don't have a Zeebaas on mine, but they're sahweeeet reels. I've used a Quantum Cabo PT40, Penn 706Z, and an Abu Garcia 6500 Chrome Rocket on my Estuary rod.... not sure yet which I like best of the three...

#5 ·
I may have recieved a bad spool of line, but it was 65 Spider wire stealth. I would get a wind knot, and the line would snap with little pressure at the knot. Case in point; I cast the dreaded cursed red pencil. A wind knot developed on the cast before. I reeled in working the plug until the knot came through the guides passed the stripper. I tucked the rod into my armpit and reached to get the knot out. A striper of around 20 pounds hit the plug and began to run with it. I dropped the rod down to set possition, and before I could set, the line tightened from the Bass running and snapped like 2 pound test.
There will be a thread coming soon on the cursed red pencils soon........

#7 ·
Stealth is great on conventional but terrible on spinning.
65# Stealth has to be an absolute nightmare on a spinning reel. Like limp wet rope.

I had a few issues with the line catching the roller on my Zee as well. Same issues as with any other manual pickup reel, You have to be sure the spool is fully extended or you can catch, especially with soft braid and even more so when it's windy out.
Had the usual "just spooled up" windknot issues as well. As usual I put a little too much line on the spool, it seems to need to be about an eighth of an inch back from the lip to avoid windknots.

#8 ·
I have the Super Surf 1201M custom with a ZX27RB,power handle ,Sufux 50# and its a great setup! It has handled 3/4oz-3oz.... I haven't put a heavier plug on it then that yet, but I know it will take more. The setup is very lite in weight and doesn't wear you down while your rockhopping and cranking. If you do a lot of Ocean front you may want the 11' but the balance may be off without a little weight in the handle. Good luck in your quest thumbsup.gif

#9 ·
I second the sufix 50 on the Z2.50rd
No issues at all. Sweeeet smoooth and solid.

Just one broken finger from forgetting the korkers and going with just felt.
Dare not scratch up the z you know. :icon_pirate:

#10 ·
i've suffered the windknot thing for a short time. like most folks i spooled to within an eight of the lip. one night after a particularly bastardly knot i stripped off line down to about a quarter inch instead- not one wind knot in almost two seasons and no noticeable loss in disstance. i think that eight of an inch thing was the guide for mono i'm not sure it's necessary for braid. anyway what good is distance if the line is wound around the tip and your plug is off the coast of block island when you're fishing montauk.
back to the topic- i mostly prowl thr rocks of rhody, not much open beach stuff- distance isn't really an issue for me- tired arms and manuvurarabiltyare however- my go to setup (this week) 9' super surf 1-4oz- 8000 sustain (it wants to be a zb or a vs tho)i really like the sustain, though i wash my gear after every trip so it's kind of like some women i know- sweet and smooth but kind of high maintanence.

#21 ·
Yeah, I have both. I use my 200 on my 11L and my 250 on my 10M. Both excellent reels. I use my 10m/250 for everything from bucktailing inlets to rock hoping to skishing. I mainly use the 200 on the 11L for plugging in the fall. Both reels spend lots of time underwater and get loads of abuse. The 250 is scratched and banged to hell. I am looking for a zeebaas though... they are sweet. I have 50lb power pro on my reels. used 50lb suffix and took that shit right off, returned the two spools I had left-they were happy cause they were out of stock and couln't keep it on the shelf. Me I hate that crap. I'll take power pro everytime. Get yourself a 10M and a vs 250.

#12 ·
I've used Stiperjim's VS a couple times, for only a few casts each time, so I can't really give you a review on it. I will say however that I wasn't thrilled with the stiffness of the reel. I expected it to reel very smoothly, but the stiffness would get old really quick when plugging. Jim said they say that it will loosen up over time and use....

#24 ·
ive got zims ultimate pluggin set up...it will be fish ready for the canal.
Purple Violet Pink Luggage and bags Magenta

The Shakespeare Disney Princess Purse Rod and Reel Kit is an excellent way to get your little princess hooked on fishing. Included with this fun Disney Princess Purse Kit is an all-in-one telescopic rod and reel with line, see-through Disney Princess purse with security latch, tackle box, sunglasses and a practice casting plug to help her hone her casting skills. Plus, all the Disney Princess accessories including the telescoping rod fit inside the purse so your young lady can proudly tote her gear.
  • All-in-one telescopic rod and reel with line
  • See-through Disney Princess Purse with security latch
  • Tackle box and sunglasses
  • Practice casting plug

#20 ·
Good For Ya! Ya Brought Some Bogus Rod And Reel For Nothing~
Now I Am Gonna Freak You Out Wizeass! You Think You Have A Goof For The Cape? Omg I Can Hardly Wait. Your Manhood Will Be At Stake For This. I Would Have The Wife Call You In Sick Or Something.

#28 ·
Not to start a debate on different braids but keep in mind that some of us hate power pro.
Unexplainable breakoffs. I've had it cut really easy on reefs and muscle beds.
Its hard to imagine the exact same breakoffs with another braid.
Personally I havent had any issues at all with the sufix braid.
The sufix is weaved differently and has a slighlty larger diameter.
I do feel confident with it. Im glad we have a choice.

#29 ·
A buddy of mine just pulled all the 65# PP off his reel wound it back on the spool it came off of and is mailing it back to upper management with a note saying "Here's a spool of brand new line that's lost me some very expensive plugs due to unexplainable breakoffs".

About 5 of 6 years ago I went though two spools that cost me a plug bags worth of wood - I've refused to use the stuff since - I won't even accept it if you give to to me free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.