Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Ultimate plugging setup

8K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  redhawk19 
#1 ·
I fish the surf in NJ, mainly for stripers. I have been fishing mostly bait for 2 years, and want to get into plugging. I have quite a few setups, Shimano and TICA my favorites, but I want to invest one time in the ultimate plugging setup. Any reccommendations on reel (make and model) and rod (make, legnth and action)

#32 ·
Am I the only one who hasn't had bad experiences with PP? I have had wind knots, but that was due to not keeping tension on the line during windy conditions useing poppers and pencils. Other than that I love the stuff.

#33 ·
Kharry said:
Am I the only one who hasn't had bad experiences with PP? I
Lots of guys use and like the pp Kharry. I suppose if you get a bad spool of something or cut off on an unseen object, reef or muscle bed no matter what you have on you will probably forego it in the future and consider it trash. If I happened to be using something else in the same situation how would i know? My experience with fireline has been very good and I spool everything else non mono with sufix PB. But thats just me. The first braid I ever used was power pro and probably a factor in my displeasure with it. The only pp I'll use now is on freshwater 10 pounds or less.
Buts thats all due to outings with breakoffs. Couldnt explain it the first time then when it happened again Every time I set the hook it cut. Maybe on a ledge but that was it for me.
I had it happen with fireline once as well.

Back on topic.
Lami blank - Zeebaas 2.50 with 50 Sufix PB :smile:
(not sold on the supersurf just yet) Still like the surf and jetty rod.

#34 ·
I try to look for knicks and frays when I fish areas that are rocky or have mussle beds. A buddy of mine didnt cut back after being run through the rocks and the line broke the next fish he had on.

#35 ·
K.

See Franks post on breakoffs. :icon_pirate: Same thing here. lol

yeah. had several break offs-first with a rat, others the crap just parted under minimal strain-no cracked tip or wrapped guide or other anomalies so don't start with the theories-I been through em all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.