Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Waders

Tags
waders
5K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  glennjan 
#1 ·
Im pretty new to this but I have been fishing alot this year, wether from the piers or surf in Staten Island, or a day out on a friends boat or on the Marilyn Jean 2 party boat out of Sheepshead Bay.
In the summer I have been stepping into the surf to about my knees with my shorts on and my busted up construction boots that i have designated for fishing. I think it is now time I seriously take the plunge into the surf. So now here is where I need advice. I need waders, what should I be looking for? any suggestions on brandnames? types? neoprene? rubber? the dos and donts? any advice will be appreciated Thanks I dont want to spend a fortune either!! LOL!!! any body got an old pair for me!! LOL!!

#2 ·
Having owned several pairs of waders by now, Hodgman's bootfoot, Orvis stockingfoot, Pro-Line neoprene bootfoot, and finally Snowbee bootfoot breathables, I would offer:
1 Neoprenes are the best price, with the drawback that they will sweat you right out of them as soon as the sun shines.

2 Breathables are more money, but several times more comfortable than neoprenes.....my best fishing purchase this year without doubt is my pair of Snowbee breathables, $209 incl tax, from a B&T shop. Haven't worn them in the cold cold yet, but I have my neoprene's as backups, just in case.

If you want to fish late into the fall, and you probably do, get yerself some waders, you won't regret it.

#3 ·
Breathables are well worth the money!! I go through a pair every year and a half, which kinda sucks because most companies only offer a one year warranty.
I took the plunge and bought a pair of slightly more expensive LL Beans this spring - lifetime warranty - it leaks, they replace.

#4 ·
Last year I used Neoprene waders, awesome at night but as Ed mentioned, if you have to hike alot or if you fish when the sun is out, your gonna sweat your ball$ off. I bought a pair of breathable waders this year, hodgeman, like 70$ or something cuz I too do not want to spend a fortune and I can't say anything bad about them. They may not have all the bells and whistles but I have a nice wade belt with everything I need on it, so the waders just work. They are light and comfy, especially compared to neoprene. I don't know where you fish but I fish rocky areas alot, not so much open beach, I got the stocking foot that I wear with a pair of old light hiking boots (Hi-Tech, about $50), this is a great combo, I can move comfortably, the boots fit my feet great, plus my spiked sandals fit better on them. I bought some cheap wade boots earlier this year but they were horrible, they were flimsy and the spiked sandals did not stay put at all. They were cheap and I'm sure I could get better for more moolah but my old pair of light hiking boots work great. If you are fishing more open beach in the heavy surf I don't know if I'd go with the stocking foot tho, seems to get alot of sand in my boot when the surf is moving sand around, might want to check out some boot foot ones, no way to get sand in.

#5 ·
thanks for the info guys, next question I guess I will be fishing on beach and maybe on some rocks or jetties. what do I put on my feet over the waders? lets assume I get the stocking foot waders and I use my hiking boots what do I use for slippery rocks? or do I buy the boot waders....do they come with the spikes or are they an add on?

#6 ·
Korkers
The hodgmans boots come with the felt for 30 bucks a pair. Ok for S.I. like the
fort and PB but not for slippery jetties.
The cleats over your boots ~ $50 are better IMO. I have the outfitter wading boots $100 +
but they are hard on the ankles.
P.S. The spikes are an add on. the felt comes standard with most pairs.

#8 ·
I'll tell you...if you have to hike a ways on the beach, the stocking foot with an ol' pair of workboots is much more comfy and less tiresome. I've had trouble keeping my corkers in place on the boot waders while climbing jetties/rocks, but you can pretty much permanently attach them to a pair of those ol' boots. Masterbaiter is right on about the sand, tho. I tried to duct tape the top once, helped a little, tough to remove.
Tom

#9 ·
Not-fer-nuttin,,, but I've been going "hipboots' more and more over the years on the beach. I'm finding them to be more user friendly and much more pleasant with the roll-em-down option when the bait is put and the rods in the spike.
The way the beach has it's drop off here in SoCo, out 2 feet / down 2 feet. So for that marginal amount of distance I seem to cast out further being just a bit higher over the water.
But that's just R.I.'s surf. Your's is probably more sloping?
Just thought I'd add that for no particular reason. :icon_stirthepot:

#10 ·
Hip Boots ! Yer kidding right?

I started out as a kid with a pair of hip boots, really didn't work out so well. I learned that at least once per trip there will be a wave with enough force to ride straight up the inside of your leg and soak your nuts.
A wet package is survivable in Sept. but come December when the fishings particularly good and the water is particularly cold it's a whole nuther story.

#13 ·
I got both neoprene boot foot, and breathable stocking foot. The neoprenes are great when its cold out, but walking long distances out of the water as earlier posted is a pain. The breathables are great, comfortable, and easy to walk around in. Having both I would say that the breathables with stocking feet are the way to go.

#15 ·
NYC. They are rated for freezing water so they will keep you warm. Safety first. !!!! Dont wade in unfamiliar water at night alone until you know the area. Tell someone the area you plan to be fishing. Travel light with a plug or jig bag. . Carry a cell phone if you can. Easy does it until your more confident.. A wader belt can be handy.
Use your head and be careful of muddy bottoms. Some can feel like quicksand and suck you right down making it difficult to get out. Be ready to cut them off.
Make sure you have a good boot foot or korker spike sandals to go over the boot.
Common sense - Don't take any dumb chances. Learn the areas you intend to fish and the bottom structures and drop offs.
Hook up with Zim or myself one night and we'll fish a few spots. thumbsup.gif
One more thing : be cognizant of the tide stages. You dont want to get trapped out on a sand bar with no where to go once the tide fills in behind you.

#16 ·
Also get a wading belt It'll help to keep your waders form filling up with water if you get hit by a big wave or fall in the water.

#21 ·
Hook up with Zim or myself one night and we'll fish a few spots. thumbsup.gif

don;t worry, i will take him out in the flat. fastest way to learn is to get wet. lmfao
can you say low tide at great kills bath house?
i
If I go with Zim, I can see I better bring a life jacket, or maybe I will just tie a line to him and take him down with me!!!:eek: ooohhhhhh!!!

#20 ·
dont wade in unfamiliar water? LOL!!! its all unfamiliar at this point as I havent been in it yet!! LOL!! I can see this is going to be a real adventure!! LMAO!!! maybe I will go on sunday night, this way if I drown it wont ruin the whole weekend!!
I appreciate the invite on showing me how to get my feet wet. Let me know when and where and I will meet you guys.
I'll make sure I bring a towel........LOL!!

#25 ·
Thanks Folks! I to am new to this and have been looking at Waders. I have been fishing the hook to Belmar, so I'm not so sure about the Cleats.
With the stocking feet, do the boots fill with water where it becomes a cold problem? I had some serious foot surgery and Circulation is a problem.:yourock:

#26 ·
The stocking feet are pretty warm rob. They are reinforced and layered pretty well. At least the higher end ones anyway.
The boots just get laced tight around the footies. No appreciable water buildup for me.
I have some health issues and need lightweight waders. The wadelight breathables fit the bill. You can layer clothes on underneath if necessary.

#27 ·
I bought some cheap neoprene stockingfoot waders this year. They have served me well so far. I fish sandy beaches so climbing on rocks isnt really an issue for me (as far as boots with cleats). The only thing I cant stand is the amount of sand that gets in my old work boots .After a few hours its really uncomfortable. Would wading boots prevent this? Should I go to boot foot waders? Thanks.

#30 ·
Just looked in the box and there they are......in all my excitement to try them I didnt notice them..lol...well I will have to try them..hopefully they will help keep some of the sand out. I think I am about ready to hang it up for the season..but I should get out once or twice more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.